“Clean room & friendly reception”

Cronwell Inn Stremyannaya
Ranked #53 of 358 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 10 January 2012

+ Very good location
+ Nice and clean room
+ All receptionists were friendly and spoke good english

- Dining in the hotel restaurant - not worth the money
- Loud church bells woke us up in the morning, so the soundproofing was not the best possible

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wekkuli

Reviewed 4 December 2011

I went to St Petersburg at the end of November on a business trip. The company I was visiting booked me at the Cronwell.

The location great. It is a block from Nevsky Prospekt, so it's very easy to walk to all the sights, but still quiet at night.

The rooms are pretty small and sparse, but mine was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was big and modern, almost as big as the rest of the room.

The staff was wonderful and spoke very good English. I had an early flight the day I left, and they had a breakfast box and bottle of water waiting for me when I checked out at 5am.

I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank MichaelForman
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Good location near the Nevski Prospect street. Subway station just one block away. Totally renovated interior. Internet free of charge in the rooms (not wireless). Very friendly English speaking personnel at the reception desk.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank K-JA_Finland
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I took a brief trip to St. Petersburg with my daughter to ensure she got connected safely with the staff of her Russian language study abroad program, which gave us the opportunity to do a couple of days of sighseeing. The english-speaking staff (esp. Maria) could not have been more helpful in arranging our stay. They communicate clearly in both spoken and written (email English). I made our reservation directly through their website, and Maria sent a confirming email through each step of the process. The hotel provided my visa support at a reasonable cost (also via email), which CIBT was able to use in securing my visa. They also arranged to have a taxi pick us at airport baggage claim upon our arrival, which I was able to simply put on my credit card once we arrived at our hotel. The hotel is located a block off Nevsky Prospect, with a one block walk to the subway and a couple of blocks' walk to the tram (bus connected to overhead electrical power), both of which we used effectively to reach the Hermitage, Summer Palace (hydrofoil pier right across fromt he Hermitage), ballet, and Russian military museum. Plenty of banks to exchange currency (but make sure you bring relatively crisp, unfolded bills --- one bank told me they wouldn't exchange some of my US dollars because the bills were too worn, and the teller at another gave them a serious once over before sighing and exchangning them for rubles), restaurants, and shopping right out on Nevsky. A convenience store a couple of doors down from the hotel is a good place to buy water (you only get two complimentary bottles from the hotel on the night of check in) and snacks, including fresh fruit. There is a good Georgian restaurant between the hotel and the convenience store and, after the ballet on a Saturday night, we found an excellent Spanish grill "Las Torres" only a couple of blocks away on Nevsky that serves terrific food, has a pretty good and resonably priced wine list, and that becomes became a pretty lievely Salsa dance joint at the stroke of midnight. Our room was tight but clean (bit of a musty smell on one side of the armoir but that disappeared over the course of the weekend), the mattresses on the double bed were very comfortable and, even though we were a block off Nevsky, and there was only moderate and occaisional noise that came from Stremmyannaya street (no impact on our ability to sleep). Our room included their ample breakfast buffet (hot cereal, eggs, sausages, ham, toatst / crumpets / pastries, cheese, juice, and tea / coffee). Only nit was that there wasn't much fresh fruit (and, if coffee is a really important part of your morning, you might want to duck around the corner to the coffee shop a couple of doors down from the subway station). The staff (Natalia, et. al.) catered ot our every whim and, at the end of our stay, arranged a taxi ride for my daughter and her study abroad sponsor to the train station Sunday evening and me back to airport the next morning. All in all, I could not have asked for a smoother and well-managed stay on my first trip to Russia. Not the most luxurious option available but, for the price, great value for security, comfort, service, and location.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank John H
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Central location in a silent street. Clean and comfortable rooms and very friendly staff. Great value for money!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Kjell46
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Good friendly hotel with an excellent location on a quiet side street parallel to Nevski. Good rooms, nice breakfast buffet. Front desk staff were friendly and efficient day and night, and spoke good English. Short walk to train station for Moscow.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank rokkap
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Very cozy hotel with attractive rooms and good breakfast. In small street Stremyannaya in the centre of the city - it is just 5 min by walk from Moskovsky train station and 2 min by walk from Nevsky pr. Quick check-in and friendly staff. It's better than 3 stars. Service and decorations - 4 stars. Decorations is in English style.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business