“Tucked away but excellent small hotel”

Cronwell Inn Stremyannaya
Ranked #61 of 361 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 22 July 2013

It took me a while to locate this hotel as it is tucked away behind larger buildings. Arriving late at night there was a party that seemed to be partly in the street, partly in a restaurant at the front and partly in the hotel. Unable to see the usual welcoming lobby and being pointed down a long corridor, I wondered what kind of hotel room I'd booked. But first impressions were very misleading. The hotel was very comfortable and quiet. The rooms are a little on the small side but not uncomfortably so. The sleep quality was excellent. Free Wi-Fi was appreciated. However, the standout for me was the quality of the staff; enthusiastic, helpful and thoughtful. I had a 4 am pick up to leave and the girl on the desk offered to put together a picnic breakfast that I could grab before I left. It was a small gesture that left a big impression. As others have mentioned, there is no shortage of shopping, restaurants and clubs around with the Nevsky Prospekt only a few minutes walk away. If you love marble and glass hotels, this one may not be for you but for value, comfort and service, it is excellent.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed for two nights here comfortable stay. Hotel is in a good central location just off Nevsky Prospekt and 5 minutes away from a metro station. Room was a good size, clean, nice bathroom with a shower.
Breakfast had a nice selection of food, would return here if visiting again.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We initially wanted to book at a higher end hotel, however due to The Economic Forum, we had to look elsewhere. A few Trip Advisor reviews caused us to select Cronwell Inn. It was wonderful! The Staff were exceptional!!! We cannot say enough!!! We had previously spent 12 days in Russia, and our experience at Cronwell turned our trip into a positive adventure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary L
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I took the family to St Petersburg in July 2013. The hotel is superbly located in a quiet(ish) street, just off Nevsky Prospekt. It is within walking distance of the Moscow Train Station (which we did) and close to a metro station. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the reception staff spoke good English and were helpful though not overly friendly. There were a number of weddings going on during our stay, but noise was not a problem. There is a lobby ATM. Breakfasts were included in the price, and although not the largest variety of items, were fine by us. Tea (complimentary) was served with pastries between 5 and 6 pm - a nice touch. I would recommend this hotel to those visiting St Petersburg However it was quite expensive, and for that price I would have expected some solid soap and shampoo to be provided. Another small irritation was the charging of 200 Roubles per person to do the police registration (which the hotel is required by law to do anyway). I knew about this at booking but really it is a difficult charge for the hotel to justify, given the overall tariff. To be fair to the hotel I see that a number of their competitors do this too. In short I would recommend this hotel, but I feel it was a little on the expensive side for what was provided

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We came to St Petersburg in early July for a business meeting, with our hosts laying on a two-day extravaganza for their guests. We were directed to this hotel by our hosts so that all ten of us would be accessible for pick-ups and so on, so it was not our own choice but rather selected by locals on our behalf.

I have neven been to Russia before, so can't really compare with others, so please bear in mind that what I say next may not be an entirely fair comparison. The hotel is fairly clean; bathroom pretty well spotless but the room carpet a bit stained and tablecloths in the dining area very stained (although we experienced that even in very upmarket Russian restaurants, the tablecloths aren't changed between diners.) The bed was rather soft for us, but might be suitable for people who prefer a softer mattress. In our room, there were no tea- or coffee-making facilities, no iron (although I later discovered I could have hired one for an hour or two), no shampoo or solid soap, no tissues and only one spare pillow (we both like to sleep with two.) Again, I understand we could have asked for another. The most serious problem - and it was a very serious one from our point-of-view - was the fact that the curtains did not close very well, and a large sky-light in our top-floor room let the all-night light in. Being Australians we are entirely unused to sleeping in the light. As a result, after three nights here we are beyond tired, exhausted and grumpy and cannot wait to get to our next hotel in the hope of getting some sleep.

The front-office staff were polite and helpful, if a little overwhelmed at busy times; the restaurant staff surly to the point of hostility. If one asked politely for a cup of tea, the only response would be a sigh and the waiter stomping off with no indication of whether it would be possible or not. This could of course have been a language issue (we speak no Russian at all) but still, it is supposed to be an International hotel in an international city and one would expect a little more in the way of customer services.

The location, by the way, is excellent: on a quiet street just off Nevsky Prospekt, about half an hour's walk from the Hermitage.

Room Tip: Refuse a room on the fifth (top) floor in summer if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mandi B
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed 4 nights over Christmas 2012. Great location and staff with pretty decent room rates. May not be right smack in the middle of Nevsky Prospect but it is a nice walk from the hotel, at one end of Prospect to Palace Square, the other end. The hotel is near enough the Moscow Train Station area for one to venture around that busy part of St Petes.
Staff may not be smiley and all, but were most certainly very helpful. Told me which buses to take, wrote for me notes in Russian to show the sales assistants in the (options of) shops they recommended to get whatever it was I was looking for. English-speaking reception ladies were a blessing.
There’s a lift to get to the rooms upstairs, ATM machine at the reception. Room was clean and toasty warm. Wi-Fi only at the reception area. I recall reading somewhere that no bottled water is provided but still, would have been nice if it was, together with a kettle. Note: Sharp at 10, breakfast would be cleared regardless whether you had just popped in (the poor family that day!).

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I arrived at this small centrally located hotel. I was greeted in English by smiling desk clerk.
My room was a comfortable double with in room safe and aTV. The bathroom was a decent size with constant hot water. The breakfasts were OK , nothing special but adequate. The hotel is close to the metro and the Nevsky Prospect, which is really handy for all the interesting sites one wants to see.

Room Tip: The room that I was allocated was fine