“Absolutly fabulous!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Andrei and Sasha Homestay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Petersburg
Andrei and Sasha Homestay
Ranked #283 of 850 St. Petersburg B&B and Inns
Helsinki, Finland
“Absolutly fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just Great stay in Great place! Recomended for singles, couples, with kids or without.. You will find everything necessary and even more. Beautiful details with interesting histories...
Try it once and will never forget it after :)

Room Tip: Make your reservation on time - it is very popular lately :)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tatiana S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Finnish first
Istanbul
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I found this place on the Lonely Planet website, quote: "three apartments they rent out (by the room or in their entirety) – all centrally located and eclectically decorated with lots of designer touches and an eye for beautiful furniture..." I was booking last-minute, and had understood by now that paying 300 Euro per night for a mediocre hotel room in high season was nothing out of the ordinary in St. Petersburg. So I checked out the reviews, found nothing but 5-star raves, and wrote to inquire about availability. I had read that they were not quick with their replies, which was an understatement. After the first e-mail contact I got into the habit of phoning Sasha in order to finalize the booking since we had little time left before our departure. She offered the Homestay (which came with some pictures looking attractive enough) at 90 Euro and a whole apartment to ourselves at 150 Euro. I told her we weren't the bathroom-sharing types and that we were happy to pay 150 Euro per night for what I expected to be a fairly decent accommodation in a central location. I called her once more to verify the location and she said, "It's right next to the Homestay. Don't worry, it's a nice place, you will like it." We took her up on the 30 Euro airport transfer and although I'd never been to St. P, I'd studied the map so often by now that I realized we were dropped off at a totally different canal, i.e. Fontanka and not Griboedova. Okay, no big deal. Still central, right by Nevsky Prospekt, although I would have preferred the other location. I had told Sasha we only had 2 days so we didn't want to lose time waiting for the keys. She was only 5 minutes late. Fine. We then were led through a dumpy courtyard and dumpy staircase, and still I thought, that doesn't mean much, expecting a nicely renovated apartment behind the final big door. Alas, it felt as if we stepped almost 100 years back in time. We never found out who normally lives in this studio, but it was a mess, and the person's stuff was everywhere. The previous guests' luggage was also sitting in the apartment. They would pick it up later today, she said. I told her I'd prefer her to be there when this would happen, now that we had our own stuff sitting there. Whether she came, who knows... She changed the sheets in front of us, which I thought rather strange, yet at this point also comforting, in the sense that at least we knew they had been changed. It prompted me to ask her whether the apartment had been cleaned prior to the arrival. She said yes, a little white lie, judging by the layer of dust and hairs in the bathtub corners. The little kitchen was grimy too. The whole place was a dump and I felt like a total idiot when handing over 450 Euro for our 3 nights. I just wasn't in the mood of starting our brief trip with a big fight and I also didn't want to lose time looking for another accommodation. The room itself wasn't a big deal to us, and the kitchen we barely needed anyway. The Wi-Fi worked well, and the place was quiet (I'd expected a canal view somehow, but that might have been my misinterpretation, for our studio was in the back). The bathroom however, was a disaster, and in hindsight, the shared bathroom at 90 Euro doesn't look so bad now. Sitting in a yellow-stained bathtub with a hand-held shower could have been comical, had we not spent 450 Euro on it. We felt scammed. The toilet seat (a tiny round model I'd never seen in my lifetime) has a substantial piece missing (see photos!) which made me fear my flesh might get caught on the sharp edges. In all fairness, Sasha was welcoming and helpful and (not surprisingly) slightly apologetic when taking my payment, explaining this was a very busy time. Okay, I understand the concept of supply and demand, even though as a hotelier, also renting out apartments myself, I would not be able to sleep at night taking this much money for such a dumpy place. That aside, what Sasha should have done is at least warn me that this place was not renovated and in a totally different location. Reluctant to write a review, since I am not a fan of complaining on-line, I wrote an e-mail after our stay to Sasha to tell her we'd enjoyed meeting her, yet didn't feel the place was in an acceptable state for its price. I never received a reply, which tells me she has no intention changing anything and so I would like to warn others to verify well which apartment you'll be checked into. I feel generous giving 2 out of 5 points and the extra one is only because she was friendly and we were in a central location and the Wi-Fi did work as promised. But come on, how much effort/time/money does it take to change a toilet seat? Or do they not make those little round ones anymore?

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank PistachioGirl
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

In a reasonably central location, a few minutes walk from the metro stations at Sennaya Ploshchad, and from Nevsky Prospekt.

The metal entrance door was not very welcoming, and the stairwell was dirty and full of general junk as well as a grubby old sleeping bag and lots of cigarette ends – a bit grim. The only way to get out was with a key, so if you mislaid the key you would be unable to exit the front metal door in a fire, which made me feel uncomfortable.

Characterful and cosy inside the flat, particularly the kitchen/sitting area, but very cluttered with stuff, reminding me of student flats.

Unfortunately we were not welcomed on our arrival, either with or without blinis as other reviewers have reported, but were instead instructed over the phone to collect the key from a mystery container - that had subsequently been used by someone for rubbish and as an ashtray. Additionally, although we had been promised the 'largest most beautiful room', this was not available on our first night so we had to sleep in a very small room. The double bed was pushed up against the window and it felt as though you might roll over in bed and slip out of the window (on the 4th floor!), and you could only get out of bed by climbing over the other person. It was very cluttered with someone else's stuff, and felt as if the occupant might return to claim their room at any minute. It was also not possible to lock the room from the outside. We didn't stay after our first night, to see if the large beautiful room became available.

I think if someone had been there to welcome us on our arrival (and the room we had requested been available), we might have had a different view of it. One of the reasons I normally like to stay in homestays is to speak to the hosts and get a more personal view of the place than by just staying in a large hotel.

If we had stayed longer, we would have found it very useful being able to use the kitchen and the washing machine.

Room Tip: I believe the largest most beautiful room overlooking the canal is the one to go for, but we never g...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank anonymous-aylesbury
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We just love this city and this appartment! It's a perfect spot for our group. We find the city more and more enchanting... Sasha & Andrey are the most welcoming hosts and we get a bit of a local feelings in their lovely appartment. Thank's again, see you!

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank File101
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I just spent a delightful week in St. Petersburg, Russia. We didn't want to stay in an expensive cold hotel. Neither did we want a hostel or (what looked like) a very empty-looking airbnb. Andrey and Sasha's apartment was PERFECT. Ideal.

The location was walkable to everything. "Zoom," a very close restaurant, was our favorite for multiple nights, and groceries were close.

As others have noted, Andrey and Sasha live busy lives and are not around much. However, when Andrey was around, he was very interesting to talk with and he watched over our airport pick-up and drop-off with great attention.

Our short time talking with other guests was fascinating. The place was absolutely clean and the antique decor much to our liking. The bed was very comfortable, the shared bathroom handsome and convenient. There is a hand-held shower, which is easily turned into a shower.

This is like a beautiful shared airbnb, not a homestay, which was much to our liking. Be forewarned: 95 STEPS UP TO THE 5TH FLOOR, but worth it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MWD376
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Overall this place is very comfortable and excellent value. We stayed for 10 days. The flat at 49/28 Kanal Griboedova is around 15 minutes walk from Palace Square and Nevsky Prospect, about half an hour's walk from the Maryinsky theatres and 5 minutes from Sennaya Ploshchad which is the best connected station on the metro: it could not be better located.

The flat is some 90 steps up from the pavement. The neighbours smoke on the stair. It has 2 large double rooms and 2 small double rooms. The small ones have basins and one has its own toilet. Otherwise everyone shares a small bathroom (bath and toilet but no upright shower) and another toilet off the kitchen.The kitchen/livingroom is well equipped with delicious tea and coffee provided, and shopping is easy at the 24-hour convenience store just across the canal.

Sasha and Andrey lead busy lives and were not in residence during our stay. How much you see of them is probably unpredictable, although Sasha, who has excellent English, is generally at the end of a phone, she has friends who stand in and her charming mother turned up to arrange a taxi for our departure. You need to be patient waiting for Sasha to reply to emails.

We really enjoyed the character of this old but well modernised property, the spacious room, the company of our two fellow-visitors and the easy access to the sights of this amazing city and the wonderful Maryinsky theatres.

Room Tip: We had a large room in 49/28 which looked onto the canal which was very comfortable and generally qu...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

In looking for hotels in St. Petersburg one might be tempted to spend their rubles on an expensive chain hotel for a stiff bed and washroom with rigid staff. Likewise you might wish to take a cheaper route and book one on Nevsky where its cheaper, though you might end up in a hole in the wall and with less than appealing accommodations.

However, if you have found this review you need not fall into these traps. Andrei and Sasha's Homestay is where you want to be. A lovely and secure apartment near the main rue in St. Petersburg, this place is comfortable, beautiful, accommodating and most importantly, romantic.

The house is tidily and beautifully furnished with antique and novelty amusements. Books and films line the walls offering bedtime amusement that is both entertaining and offers insight into the culture of St. Petersburg. Amenities are abundant, with a wonderful sit-down shower with heated tiles, a full kitchen and the bedding is both large and soft. Complementary towels and robes and what's more is that Andrei and Sasha are available to call if you need anything. Friendly to foreigners and native Russians alike.

I could not recommend this place more.

Room Tip: There are a few rooms in the apartment, all are of a good size but the "large room facing the c...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple