“Dreary Room, Good Location”
Review of Grand Mark Hotel

Grand Mark Hotel
Ranked #108 of 358 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Our experience at the Grand Mark may be a little different from others because we had a somewhat strange and dreary room on the ground level. It didn't even really feel like we were staying at the same hotel as other guests.

Breakfast spread was similar to other hotels in Russia but the food quality seemed a step down from what we've been used to. The location of the hotel is quite nice, just off the Neva near the Admiralty, though the Metro is a 15-minute walk away.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel for our 5 days in St Petersburg and it was one of the better choices we made on our trip. It is a great bargain with a central location, especially considering the price. It looks like a converted apartment and we had a "junior suite" with quite a bit of room, but I can't speak to the standard rooms. The women running the counter are great: very friendly, extremely accommodating, and most speak better English than we spoke Russian. If I could give more than a "5" on service, I would. Complimentary breakfasts are simple but filling and delivered to your room. There are also a lot of nice little touches like complimentary toiletries, water, wifi, etc and reasonable prices to arrange for a transfer from the train station. They were even kind enough to let us do some laundry in the evening hours while there (small washing machine and no dryer but that's still an unexpected bonus). The reviews for this hotel were excellent and we were even happier with it than expected. If we are able to visit St Petersburg again, we will definitely return! One tip: go upstairs to the second floor to check in as another hotel is on the ground floor.

Room Tip: The junior suite has more than enough room, especially for a European hotel. Don't really know...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sterlingice
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Good, value for money, very small (8 rooms?) and very basic hotel. Clean and good shower and amenities like comb, toothbrush, slippers and robe kindly provided and included in price. This was a nice touch and appreciated.

Lisa and Ksenia work on reception and were very helpful, thank you. Wi-fi works fine in room and is included in price as was breakfast, brought to the room at a time you request in advance, If I need to make a mention, there is a small sink in bathroom which wasn't really big enough to hold my toiletries bag, and a little bathroom shelf would help. When I asked where was good to eat, Reception mentioned a Very nice steak and stroganoff restaurant nearby which is a bit expensive but I recommend and reviewed.

The Grand Mark Hotel in St Petersburg (which I booked via booking.com) should not be confused with a hotel of the same name in Turkey who I accidentally emailed by mistake to confirm my booking and was told I had no booking! Despite sending them my booking confirmation clearly stating Grand Mark Hotel, St Petersburg, they never bothered to tell me theirs was the hotel with same name in Turkey, and they had no address on their email, so how was I to know!? grrr. Reception in SPb told me this happens sometimes!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Denise P
Reviewed 2 May 2013

The airport transfer arranged by the hotel went perfectly. The hotel reception is up the stairs so don't get distracted by Nevsky's "Reception" sign as you enter the front doors. When you get to the Grand Mark's door, ring the doorbell (button with a little bell") and you will be blown away when you open the door to the new and bright entrance.
Staff was the best! Room was just fine - everything I needed and clean. Order breakfast once (I chose to have it brought to my room) and you don't have to order again for the rest of your stay. (unless you want something different.) Loved having it delivered to my room each morning. Lots of hooks for hanging things in the bathroom. (Bring a drain plug if you wash things in the sink.) Adequate closet, frig for chilling your vodka.(The liquor store is right next door to the rear entrance gate and beer can be bought next door to the front entrance.) Great shower pressure and lots of hot water. Good location. Within a quick walk upon arrival, I got to photograph St. Isaac's, the Horseman statue, the river Neva and some other surrounding buildings. Down the street, straight and through the Admiralty park and you're at the Hermitage. I left maintenance requests as I went out for the day (my fault,) and when I got back problems were taken care of. Entrance from two streets is a plus. (Make sure you get address for back facing street, should you choose that way upon return. See my photos for pic of that entrance.) Rear entrance can only be accessed with key card. I would come back to the Grand Mark. A very nice intimate mini-hotel. If you found my review helpful, please click on "yes." Thanks.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
11  Thank kitchenchemist
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Just returned from a short break to st p this hotel is excellent for the money it costs, the girls could not be more helpful if they tried the rooms are small,but extremely clean,the shower is agood size and also spotless, the breakfast is basic but is ample to last you until lunch. The only problem at the moment is the building site next door ,noisy at times but not overmuch easy to walk to all the main sites (Nevsky,Hermitage etc) would reccomend to anyone. Thank you Lady's for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The hotel occupies one floor of a building. The courtyard and the stairs do remind the Soviet period, but once inside the hotel itself, everything is fine. The standard rooms are small but fully equipped. The staff is very nice and efficient. An important advantage is the location. In the center, but in a quiet street. I will definitely stay here again on a return visit book

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Grand Mark is an 11 room, not easy to find, compact hotel, with no facilities other than the room, and two tables in reception where breakfast can be served (your room is the other).
Conversely, the room was clean, the shower superb, and you are close to all main historical sites, the river, and the new Admiralteiskaya Metro station.
We paid £61 per night here, in this expensive city, we thought it was great value for our needs. Enough restaurants, cares and bars within 5 minutes walk, but in a quiet street with no noise at all.
Just double check the hotel name and address - this was the one on Galernaya st. 12 , very near to St Isaacs Cathedral and the Peter the Great statue in Novemberist Square .... As we both thought we had read details of a larger hotel with very similar name elsewhere in St Pete.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends