“Unusual even eccentric”

Ranked #332 of 864 St. Petersburg B&B and Inns
Bath, England
“Unusual even eccentric”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel which had been booked by my eldest daughter and as it was the first hotel that we had stayed at in Russia the way it was run may be the norm. I believe that the appartments were once used by foreign doctors engaged by the czars;as such they lack some of the amenities found in a purpose built hotel.
The Reception was manned by a succession of young students some of whom appeared to be on duty for a full twenty four hours. They were both welcoming and pleasant and all spoke some English.
We were allotted a double room at the top of the building,- no lift and on the fourth floor. The room was small but with a modern shower and bathroom which was excellent and quiet until the adjoining room was occupied and one realised how thin the partitions were; one could hear both ends of a telephone conversation. On checking our booking we realised that our daughter had in fact paid for a room with two double beds and we were promoted to a much bigger room on a second floor but with a smaller and rather dingy bathroom attached. The mistake was probably a misunderstanding but we never identified who among the staff was the permanent hotel manager.
Finding breakfast was intially a challenge as it was also on the fourth floor but the only way of reaching it was via the second floor. There was little signage in the building ( even outside the hotel name is in small lettering). This was a large room but at this season there were few guests; it was very much a help yourself exercise and those on duty were inclined to chat together than go out of their way to be helpful.
Rooms were apparently cleaned every other day which came as a surprise.
The convenient location of the hotel more than makes up for these drawbacks being within twenty minutes walking of the historical centre, or five minutes from bus and trolleybus routes.
The temperature was low at this time of year but there was sunshine in plenty and with little wind
it was pleasanter than much of Great Britain in the last few months. St Petersburg in the snow must be the most beautiful city in the world.

Room Tip: Being an old building I would suspect that rooms vary a great deal.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SergeBath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Slovak first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

Realy beautiful. Quiet, large rooms with nice bathrooms. Has a beautiful ebtrance with views to the old stables. There is also a large ballroom and dining room. Downside- pretty far from things (near the marinsky theater though). Also a but rough around the edges and the breakfast wasnt great. But quirky... Id stay here again.

Villa La Angostura, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

I really enjoyed my recent 2 days stay in this hotel. It’s located in the historic center of St. Petersburg, in the very riverside of Neva river, not so far (15 minutes walking) from the main commercial avenue (Nevsky Prospekt) and the famous Hermitage palace. Surroundings are beautiful in the night!

The overall atmosphere is very nice, stylish and comfortable. It’s a remodeled historic building with an impressive glassed-roof atrium (ideal to enjoy a coffee) and astonishing main stairs. My room was clean and well decorated, and I really enjoyed a high quality sleep as well as a great heating service. The front desk staff was extremely nice and helpful, assisting me in all my needs during my stay. The breakfast was good, served in a nicely decorated room (but the only weak aspect, not thinking on myself but in obese or older people) is that this room is located in the fourth floor only accessible by stairs; since no lift is available).

Considering all the aforementioned aspects, fares are really convenient, determining an excellent price-value relation. Therefore, I strongly recommended this nice hotel to tourists who are planning to visit St. Petersburg.

Room Tip: Preferably choose rooms located far from the front street (to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank mariobrun
Canterbury, England.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Great little hotel and it could be so much more. Most of the hotel ios on the fourth floor but no lift and then the breakfast room needs a route map to find it - we trapped dpown to the ground floor and then up another staircase to the fourth floor again...! There actually is a shortcut through the third floor but it is not signposted.

All in all a great little hotel - if only they would understand the concept of customer service.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fujimar
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

The hotel is easily accessible by foot from several Metro stations. The location is quiet. The building is old, with some style, spacious warm rooms with lots of air, good beds. Pleasing walk along the embankment in the evening. Unless you are short on time, it does not make much sense to have breakfast at the hotel every day, better to take 10-15 min. walk, enjoy views, and find a place to eat that suits your taste.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Olga H, General Manager at History on Angliyskaya Embankment, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear Sierrabravooo,

I want to thank you for the review. I really appreciate you have chosen our hotel and found time to evaluate our service.

I do hope that your stay in our hotel and your trip to Saint Petersburg was pleasant and successful. We will be glad to see you one more time in our hotel and in the city. We are always ready to provide you our best service. If you have any further questions about the hotel, future stays in Saint-Petersburg or even just about the city I will be glad to assist you any time.

Thank you one more time for your comments about the hotel, that is really important for us.

With kind regards,

Olga Hatkevich
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I staid 3 nights in the hotel at the English embankment.
One of the advantages of the hotel is that it's located on the embankment of the Neva river right next to the bridge connecting the city to the Vasil'evskiy island. Another advantage is that the hotel is in the old mansion and it's nice to see the unusual (for modern people) design of the building.
The breakfast was not bad - porridge, pancakes, vegetables, sausage, cornflakes, some sweets, etc. These are the only advantages of the hotel.
The first night was awful, and I didn't sleep till something like 3 a.m. fighting mosquitos. There are neither nets on the windows, no fumigators in the room. So, I had to buy one to sleep well the next two nights.
Before the trip I made a call to the hotel to specifically ask if there is an iron which I could use any time. The receptionist said yes. When I arrived and asked for an iron, the receptionist said it was brocken and I could ask the cleaning lady to iron my clothes for addtional payment, which was not very pleasant and customer-friendly.
The room I had was meant for 2 people, but there was no cupboard there. Only some hooks near the door.
I didn't notice any cleaning of the room at all. No change of the bedclothes and towels, no arrangement of the bedspread, no cleaning of the shower cabin.
The hotel is not that close to the metro station. In the morning it's ok to walk a bit, but in the evening, after you have been walking the whole day, it's quite tiresome.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Olga I
Dear Olga,

Thank you very much for you hotel evaluation. I really appreciate that you have found time to write this review.

First of all please accept my sincere apology that not everything at the hotel was pleasant during the stay. I can assure you we continually working on improvement of our service and room equipment. We do our best to solve some technical problems as soon as possible. For the new season we are in process of ordering new equipment for our rooms and changing some kind of facilities to make our guests’ stays more comfortable. Also we have already changed our standards and internal procedures regarding room cleaning and quality control.

Olga, one more time I want to apologize for the inconveniences you had during the stay with us and hope to welcome you back one day in the future.

Best regards,
Olga Hatkevich
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed at Hotel "History" for 9 nights at end of December 2011 - beginning of January 2012 (for me, the longest stay at the same hotel in all my holidays!) and it really was the best choice. If you want to visit as much as possible of the city's museums and see as many churches and palaces without paying for a 5 stars hotel, then "History" is the place to stay: the Hermitage is 15-20 min to the right (just follow the bank of Neva), the State Museum a bit further away, the Zoological Museum on the other side of the river... You have the churches nearby, you can get to Mariinsky Theatre or Nikolayevsky Palace in less than 15 min... just perfect if you want to enjoy the cultural side of St. Petersburg. Not to mention the restaurants in the area... yumm!
Regarding the accommodation, don't expect something fancy, like porters dressed as Cossacks or caviar at breakfast. It is an old building, so it doesn't have an elevator. It was not transformed into something modern, which in my opinion is really a good thing. Still, we had warm rooms (very important, if you visit Russia in winter), hot water and a good breakfast (a bit repetitive though).
As important as the comfort and maybe more, the people working in the hotel were very helpful and friendly.
And if you happen to be there for the New Year, don't miss the ball - it was the funnest party ever.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends