“Red tape with style”

Hostel Ligovskiy 74
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Red tape with style”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I was there a few weeks ago. It was one of the most annoying hostel experiences I've had.

To begin with, I booked two different stays and payed them both in advance in cash. During the first of them I had some changes in my schedule and would have to cancel the second stay. At first, they said it was ok to cancel and that they'd only need my receipt to give me the refund.

Ok... I got my receipt and gave it to them. They said the money would be there on the next day(in two days I'd be leaving to Moscow). The next morning I went to the front desk with the receipt. The lady took the receipt and told me I would have to write a letter in English explaining why the cancellation. I did it and she said the next day they'd have my money.

When I arrived to pick up my cash back she told me I would need to write another letter, in Russian with my banking information. I said I'd like to talk to the manager, who was sitting in the corner of the room talking to his girlfriend. She told me to wait 5 min, and after 30, I got up and went to talk to him. He told me to write another letter with the same information I had already written.

I demanded speaking to him asap, for I was loosing a lot of time with unnecessary red tape. He sent his assistant to talk to me. Weird thing, she would never direct the word to me, always tell the front desk girl in russian and tell her to translate it to me. That is really annoying, because she clearly didn't need any help to understand what I was telling her in English.

We continued arguing and I questioned why on earth I would have my money wired if I had payed in cash. She said "it's the law". When someone says something like that it is understood that they just want to get your money and don't give you any service.

After 3 hours of arguing I got her to sign a letter in Russian and English promising on behalf of the hostel that she would pay me. And yes I had to give in my banking account for that.

To sum up, the place is overvalued because of the design aura they have(although only 3 rooms are designer rooms, the rest is just a warehouse of random stuff they use on the other floors' exhibitions). And they made me loose half a day with arguing that I could've gone to Pushkin.

If any of you have any further questions, don't hesitate to message me.

Regards

Room Tip: Choose another hostel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank FKrauss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 22 May 2012

No hot water after 6AM. If you want to take a hot shower get up early. If you like to brush your theeth wait in line for a sink.
If it is cold outside (and in St Petersburg that is not difficult) you will probably drop the bath.
Don't take food because they only have one refrigerator for the whole hostel. You may find rotten food that people could not find and left there for months. They don't care.
This is not a Design Hostel. This is a Disaster Hostel.

Room Tip: Avoid this hostel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family