“Could have been better”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Could have been better”
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Poor service with average food and quite expensive. When we came to pay their credit card system wasn't working and they blamed our cards (we tried 3 different one!!!) - in the end they phoned their bank and got it sorted. Maybe we just picked a bad day.

Phoenix, AZ
“Good food that comes with a price”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Fish House restaurant is elegant, and the hostess spoke impeccable English. Smoking is still big in Russia. We got a nice table but minutes later a couple came next to our table and we were, well…smoked. We asked to be relocated to the “nonsmoking section” and they changed us to a remote table just to have another smoker as a neighbor minutes later. The service was extremely slow; it took about fifteen minutes for us to become a dot on the waiter’s radar screen. Maybe there was only one waiter English-speaking and we were automatically assigned to him. On the bright side the food was very good. My wife and I both had fish. My wife had sturgeon and I had an appetizer consisting of a four different smoked fish and, as an entree, a dish consisting of a half dozen fried local fish that looked like a bunch of over-sized cigars. Good dinner maybe but not worth a two hundred dollars bill (as drinks we had couple of beers) that did not even include the tip.

Smithfield, Utah
“Great Seafood Biz Translation”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Our holiday to St. Pete was to be complete with a great upscale dining experience. And we were able to have it. Our hotel recommended some upscale restaurants and the Fish House was the one suggested (along with it being the one that was advertised).

It was fairly easy to find with the advertised map and the atmosphere was light and open. The service was good with a single exception. Provided menus were in English and Russian. We were able to order several items including a great crab salad and very tasty tempura shrimp and calamari appetizer along with a very tasty seafood bisque.

The usual settings of very expensive water ( I still have a very hard time with $10 8oz water ) and sub mini Coca colas were as expected ( sorry, we are non drinkers and can't advise about wine and spirits).

After having lived in Russia for a couple of years now, you become accustomed to not getting what you ordered. Even if you think you have communicated what you think you have wanted and pointed to it on the menu, you always still manage to receive variations. That is what happened here. I was sure I had ordered sea scallops. When the entree was served, I was treated to my first ever serving of octopus. Suction cups and all. I chalked it up to a new experience and was only blown away by the similarity of the meat with char broiled beef steak.

All in all, we had a very good experience with our seafood night in St. Petersburg.

Herzliya
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Extremely pleasant experience”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We, my wife and I, were welcomed in a very nice and friendly way in this attractive looking restaurant. When it turned out that our waiter didn't speak English well enough, the maître d’hôtel hastened to his and our rescue - with his help we were able to order what appealed to us. The food was simply delicious (according to my wife her halibut was the best that she had ever eaten !).
The meal for two (hors d’oeuvre, main course, a bottle of wine, sweet course and coffee) was neither cheap nor overly expensive – and what was more important: well worth it !

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Gerard K
London, United Kingdom
“ok”
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We had an average meal in this fish restaurant but interestingly being from London we yet again found average food, nothing special, at quite a price. The wine again is very expensive in St Petersburg there seems to be a huge mark up for basic bottles you'd find in London restaurants for under £20 reaching nearer £60! and we are talking very average wine.

• Visited October 2011