All reviews huge supermarket metro station very nice hotel hot water business trip kanal city petersburg registration
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

rtner and I are currently still staying in the hotel for an overall period of 9 nights. Generally we agree with "barts" comments made earlier in this review section.

Location: a little far from the centre with metro 15 min walking and bus(nb3) six min walking away. It usually takes 45 min altogether to get to the center of town with public transport. Its bearable if you do not want to go out at night for a quick drink.

Rooms: small but everything is provided, TV fridge etc. The rooms are very clean and the cleaning ladies do a great job. Indeed, the walls are a bit thin but it's bearable. The TV has no English channels and although we asked the staff several times to fix it (English channels are offered) nothing happened. The beds are firm but comfy (for my gusto)

Service: the service is not great, although the reception desk staff is making an effort. In general the level of English is very limited (apart from anastasia, with the dark hair) and the staff has no local knowledge (e.g. Infos about restaurants, suggestions, theatre (dress code) etc.) basically you do all the research online and don't ask them at all. Although the reception staff is very friendly, I do not think their service stands out at all.

Breakfast: the breakfast is generally ok, but it is nothing special. Small things could improve the quality significantly but the bar staff is rather rude and non English speaking. The breakfast (officially served until 11) is empty starting. Around 1015 to 1030, from that time on nothing is fresh anymore (everything has been there since 730) and nothing gets refilled although there is an abundance of empty bowls and trays and often no plates or cutlery, the staff starts packing up from 1045 although there are still guests eating and serving themselves.

A couple of things to improve:
- cool the drinks, e.g. milk and water, possibly juices, everything has room temperature even when you arrive early in the morning (especially when stpb has an average temperature of 35 degrees during the day)
- when you offer toast, please provide a toaster (they have installed one today)
- provide some additional fruits, for example banana or regional fruits and cool them (the oranges could be cooled before cut up in quarters (as you do with the water melon); do not cut the apples, they get brown after a while or drip lemon juice over it.
- do not use canned fruit at all, e.g. pear, pineapple etc
- the boiled eggs could be freshly prepared, the boiled eggs are cold (I mean fridge cold) and thus from the previous day; it does not take much to boil eggs in the morning and serve them fresh and warm.
- the hot food, I would have some variety here and some of the food does not look very appetising. However, I understand the cultural differences and since the majority of guests are Russians it makes sense to cater for the majority (buckwheat, rice, fries or boiled vegies are usually not part of a western breakfast, instead maybe bacon, Spanish omelette, grilled sausages (not boiled) etc, however this may also be a personal preference and not applicable to the majority
- from time to time stirr the porridge (milk rice, change the name tag when you change the meal) so it does not burn at the bottom
- have the accurate tags to the meals
- make sure there is enough food of all offers (it does not need to be full, but the offering shall not be empty; instead keep them averagely filled and make sure it is fresh
- have a feedback form available in the hotel, so feedback can be provided instantly and not via TA

There are more things, so you are welcome to contact me as I am still guest at the hotel.

In general, despite all the critics, the hotel offers great value for money and with some small amendments and effort, combined with some common service sense, the hotel can be a great choice for travellers of all kinds.

I am sure Irina (the manager who responded to most other TA comments) has now the chance to improve some simply things in no time as she promises for most other TA reviews. As I am still here let's see if any improvements will actually take place or if it's just the required polite feedback to the public review and nothing will happen in the end. I will report again after my departure :)

Thanks for the stay, I was quite satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank blauerbussi
Reviewed 10 July 2014

deceptively clean inside. arrival is shaky given the "gentlemen" sleeping/drinking on the benches on the green opposite, not the responsibility of the hotel in fairness but whilst the hotel is clean and funtional it is an indication that the location if not especially appealing. staff ranged from helpful to indifferent to rude. breakfast was passable but the food otherwise was fair and with a menu of good and varied choices. for the metro walk behind the hotel, three blocks down turn right and then two blocks from that after 10/15mins walk you reach it. go three stops to admiraltetskaya and the tourish information center, hermitage etc is just a few minutes walk from there. central St Petersburg itself is without doubt worth a city break visit.pleanty to see and do. To say it is steeped in history is an overwhelming understatement. . see it during "white nights " And dont miss going on the river for the bridge openings.sightseeing, shopping and restaurant choice all excellent.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank paul b
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel is situated in south if the city, it is about 15-20 min walk from metro station and 3 stops by metro to the city center. So, it takes about 40 min to reach Nevsky prospect. We had a standart room, it was quite small and cozy, having everything you need even minimum kitchenette items. Breakfast was quite good, staff polite and helpful. A few unpleasant things about the hotel are: poor isolation, wifi was really good only in lobby and they started the building reconstruction, so the window was covered with the special paper, so we couldn't see the street from it. But all in all the hotel is quite good if you are not planning to spend whole day inside and coming for the holiday or business.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marija C
Irina A, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Bristol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Marija,
Thank you for a positive feedback about your accomodation in Bristol Hotel.
We're really sorry to hear about unpleasant things, that happened to you. We're renovating the building to make the facade more beautiful. It's almost complete right now. So we hope that you will choose our Hotel in the future and you won't experience any inconveniences.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

It is a clean hotel, a nice hotel, a hotel one would book anytime, except for 2 reasons:
It's a 20 minute walk tot the nearest metro station (there are buses more close to the hotel), and the hotel is not organised enough to handle large groups of people.
One morning a group of at least 100 Polish people was getting ready to take their bus, all of them at the same time having breakfast. What was a disaster too is the way the hotel was organised to cope with this kind of events. There was enough staff, but not enough organisation: no room to sit, no more food, no more coffee, no knifes... One hour later we managed to have our breakfast.
The same thing happened the evening before when the bus arrived: no food for us in the restaurant because the Polish people had eaten everything when arriving at the hotel. Also the check-in was occupied for more than an hour because the hotel was struggling with the check-in.
I imagine that hotels receive buses with tourists all the time. You should hope it's not when you stay at that hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter_Gent
Reviewed 4 July 2013

The Bristol Hotel is located far away from the nearest metro station and is about a 25min walk. It is in an obscure location within a largely residential area. I noticed that they had spray painted directional signage on the pavement from the tube that let me know that I was walking in the correct direction but noted that some had been crossed out which made me think that they may have closed down.

There were roadworks during my stay and at one point involved walking across a pallet over some excavations to exit the hotel. This was pretty dangerous but I guess this is normal for Russia.

The hotel staff were pleasant and the receptionist could speak English which was a great help.

The hotel was nice and modern on the inside but looked old fashioned from the outside.

The room had an ensuite bathroom that was good. It was clean and they made the beds and changed the towels daily - as I have found out, this isn't a given in Russia. The room had air conditioning, television (no English channels) and mini-bar. It didn't have a safe and the free WiFi that was supposed to be available from within it was intermittent at best but was available in the lounge whenever I tried.

I only ate breakfast in the restaurant as the dinner menu was uninspiring. I found the breakfast room was too small for the amount of guests using it and the tables were left dirty when guests had finished their breakfast and left - I'm not talking about tableware, those were removed, I'm talking about food remnants. The breakfast was a buffet style but the food choice was abit random with chipolatas, rice, pancakes and potatoes - the usual drinks were available too such as tea and coffee.

On the whole service was pretty good but was left feeling abit disgusted as upon checking out the receptionist asked that I wait 5 mins, as it turned out to check my room before I was allowed to leave. I am unsure if this was to check the minibar (or for damage/theft) but she didn't ask if I had used it in any case. I have found that they are generally sceptical of tourists in Russia but this made me feel Bristol Hotel didn't trust me, suggesting I am somehow dishonest. This is unacceptable and won't be staying here next time.

• Stayed: July 2013