“Wonderful location”

Ranked #31 of 334 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

We stayed for 6 nights in May. The hotel is in a fabulous location opposite St Isaac's Cathedral, 5 minutes walk to the Hermitage and the main shopping area. Room was a good size, comfortable and clean. There was a good choice for breakfast. Staff on reception and at the door were efficient and helpful. There are a couple of restaurants. We ate there one night but thought it was much too expensive. There are many restaurants in the vicinity. Unfortunately internet was not free which we were unhappy with given the price of the accommodation. This is the only hotel of the 4 that we stayed at in Russia which charged us a passport registration fee. Again we were unhappy with this. However, we would certainly stay here again for the central location and comfort.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your comments on your recent visit to the Angleterre Hotel.
I am glad that you find the room in good quality and clean, the hotel being in a fabulous location , the view of St. Isaaks Cathedral worth the upgrade .
I was very sorry to read that you were unhappy with the passport registration fee.
Unfortunately we'd like to inform you that passport registration fee is aplicable according to the Russian Law. What concerns internet, I would like to inform you that it is free of charge for corporate business travelers, the charge to be waived at departure due to IT software programming. I would assume that has been the reason for being charged.
Since the 15th of June we have already established free WI-FI access in the rooms.
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time and trouble to write your comments which I very much appreciate.

Sincerely yours

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our 4 nights stay at the Angleterre Hotel.
The location is perfect with a several minutes walk to the Hermitage.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was clean, with internet , cable TV and security box. There is a staffed money change outlet and ATM machines in the reception The breakfast was excellent.
We would thorough;y recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ron_cubano
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Angleterre Hotel. I was very happy to learn that you found the location unbeatable, staff friendly and helpful and a comfortable room.
I was also happy to read that you found our breakfast bountiful.

Thank you very much for taking some of your precious time to write your comment which I really appreciate very much.
We look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during a visit to St. Petersburg.
North West
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

I stayed here with Martin Randall Tours for 6 nights. All the staff that I encountered were most welcoming, in particular in the Borsalino (Italian) Restaurant. It was so nice to be served with a choice of proper tea or coffee at breakfast. I had a spacious room overlooking the inner garden which was quiet at night, nicely furnished and with a stylishly equiped bathroom. The small pool and sauna were spotlessly clean.The hotel was a haven after a day of sightseeing and is conveniently located near to St Isaacs cathedral. It is within walking distance of The Hermitage and is near a park where it is possible to go for an evening stroll.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Peter019
Dear Guest
Thank for your comments on your recent stay at the Angleterre Hotel in St. Petersburg, which we highly value.
I am glad that you find the hotel being clean and spacious, nicely furnished and with a stylishly equiped bathroom and in a perfect location within a walking distance from all the highlights of the center of St.-Petersburg. I was very pleased to hear that you highly appreciate our service in particular in the Borsalino (Italian) Restaurant and especially a great choice of proper tea or coffee during the breakfast .
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time and write your comments which I very much appreciate.
With best regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

i am writing this as i stay in the hotel. i have previously stayed next door in the Astoria, and although enjoyed my stay i did not think it was value for money. so this trip the sister hotel next door was my choice, as the location is great.
staff here are very friendly, receptionists are wonderfully pleasant with great english, the restuarant manager is also 'out of his way' helpful. infact staff wise it is difficult to fault the hotel. that being said those of you corporate travellers used to 4/5 star european hotels should not expect rooms of those standards. dont get me wrong, the hotel is clean, fresh and housekeeping are extreemly efficient, but the hotel is, russian, and maybe not as glitzy and shiny as you (and I) maybe used to.
However, it is a good hotel, great location, wonderful staff. Easy walking from most major attractions, quiet rooms...seem quieter then the rooms in the astoria next door, where every footfall from room above could be heard.
I would choose this hotel again just for position and staff, both are great.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank talluk
Plovdiv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

The Hotel has a superb location overlooking the beautifull St.Isaac cathedral and square.We stayed for four nights in a classical double room facing the inner cortyard and it was very quiet and tranquill.The Hotel and the room itself are decorated in very sophisticated and manner but yet very confortable.
The main Restaurant offers very lush buffet-breakfast and genuine italian dishes,and maybe best pizza in town.
I definetly will stay again if I have a chance to visit the town.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ekzosvetliashki
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Angleterre Hotel. I was very happy to learn that you found the location superb, the atmosphere quiet and tranquil, also the rooms are very comfortable.

I was also happy to read that you found our breakfast bountiful and you’re fond of Pizza from our Italian Chef.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2010

I stayed here with a small group tour in September 2001 - was very happy with levels of comfort and excellent location (with surprisingly large rooms by European standards). I would happily recommend to family, which is always my benchmark.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I am glad that you find the hotel in a perfect location with a high level of comfort and size of the room.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write your comments which I very much appreciate.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back at our hotel during a visit to St. Petersburg.

With best regards
La Spezia, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2010

It is a nice Hotel with a central location, it is few minutes away from Hermitage and all the other main attraction. Rooms are very clean, Internet connection is ok, but a bitexpensive if you don't have a business rate, in that case it is included.

Stayed December 2010, travelled on business