“Angleterre”
Review of Angleterre Hotel

Angleterre Hotel
Ranked #26 of 362 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 23 December 2010

It is a nice Hotel with a central location, it is few minutes away from Hermitage and all the other main attraction. Rooms are very clean, Internet connection is ok, but a bitexpensive if you don't have a business rate, in that case it is included.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 December 2010

I stayed for 2 nights in early December on business; caught a major snow storm.
There were some good, modern bits - Italian restaurant for breakfast (expensive at c.€25), gym (tho' swimming pool was too cold to swim in!); but carpets looking tired, and no tea/coffee facilities in the room. I did query that, and they duly provided it (adding it was not their normal practice to do so).
Location is excellent, opposite St Isaac's - though no rooftop bar which would seem a great idea. But its a bit of a walk from the metro if there's 1 metre of snow and ice around (which there was!).
BTW, if you're travelling from Moscow - take the excellent hi-speed train; 4 hours.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking your time to write your comments on your recent stay in Angleterre Hotel.

I was very glad to reed that you found the location of our hotel excellent, opposite St. Isaaks Cathedral and square. We regret that we do not have a roof bar, but opportunities will be discussed at the next company budget meetings to establish a Roof Bar and Restaurant in the future. Carpet replacement in the hotel corridors will also be one of our future refurbishment investments. I was also happy that there were some other good, modern bits like our Italian Restaurant for breakfast.
As for the temperature of the water in our swimming pool, it had been measured on 13th December, the reading recorded at +23.8 C. I regret very much that the temperature was not comfortable for you to swim for which I'm sorry.
We are always happy to provide a tea/coffee facility in the rooms at a guest request however it is not a standard in room amenity.
I'm glad to inform you that a new Metropolitan Station is under construction two blocks away from the Angleterre Hotel. As for the snow, this winter's precipitations being above the average, create a lot of problems for the city administration of St. Petersburg like in other European cities.
Once again I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences from stay which I very much appreciate.
With best wishes and very happy Season's Hollidays!

Reviewed 17 November 2010

Hotel was in a great location with good foot access to some of the better tourist places in town, for instances 10 minutes away from the Hermitage, St Isaac's square, St Nicholas Cathedral ,both Yusupov palaces and reasonable close to the Mariinsky Theatre.

The rooms are a bit on the small side, but everything we required was present. Very nice atmosphere in the hotel with everyone speaking good English. Breakfast was plentiful, and were waited on professionally especially from the pretty blonde Italian girl speaking English in Borsalino which is the internal Restaurant in the Hotel.

The Hotel restaurant looks so much better than the other places the location offers. We were also invited to eat at the Caviar bar which offers both Russia and Italian food. Salmon, pork and Truffles followed by all kinds of desserts, making it defiantly worth visiting.

We had a nice stay in the hotel and we would recommend it for anybody visiting St Petersburg.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2010

Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit to the Angleterre Hotel.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in general; we make every effort to ensure that our customers are satisfied and it is always nice to be told when we get it right.

I do hope you had a good journey home, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel on your next visit to St Petersburg.

Reviewed 28 October 2010

My wife & I spent 5 nights at The Angleterre Hotel, in St Petersburg in October 2010. From the moment we arrived at the Hotel until the moment we left we were extremely pleased with the service we received. The Reception Staff were very efficient and helpful and all spoke pretty good English. All of the Staff at the Hotel were always ready to assist and offer help if required. Breakfast in the Gallery Restaurant was exceptionally good - everything that anyone could or would want for breakfast seemed to be there. We did however, think that Dinner prices in the Restaurant were a bit on the expensive side - but there were plenty of alternatives quite nearby that were not as expensive. On the day that we left, as we ate our breakfast in the Gallery, we were treated to the first snowfall of the season, a delightful sight.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. I was glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and found the location to be perfect and atmosphere very nice. It is always a great pleasure to have satisfied guests.

We all, at the Angleterre hotel, look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel.

Reviewed 13 October 2010

Location: Unbeatable.
Staff: First class, friendly and wanting to help
Food: Overall good. Italian pasta al vongole was great, antipasti questionable, beef stroganoff next night good. Creme brulee OK. Excellent offer on a portion of caviar and a vodka! Breakfast, bountiful.
Ambience: Reception and restaurants, good. Corridors to rooms, a bit bleak, my "classic double" room small and a bit bare overlooking the central courtyard.
Room: good bed, comfy pillows so I slept well. Furniture worn, my chair springs had sagged so I had to use a cushion, bathroom spotless and compact. Overall the room was small and bare and could do with something on the walls to perk it up. Good LCD TV.
Didn't like: paying 800 roubles for internet for 24 hours. Rip-off, at those room prices, internet should be free.
Verdict: needs such a small improvement to bring it up to the standard you'd expect for the price. Great for a business stay, but I'd probably go elsewhere if I wanted to bring my wife.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Angleterre Hotel. I was very happy to learn that you found the location unbeatable, staff friendly and wanting to help, food overall good and excellent on a portion of caviar with vodka.
Ambience of reception and restaurants you found good too.

I was also happy to read that you found our breakfast bountiful, the bed and pillows comfy to sleep well, the bathroom spotless and compact.

As we obviously wouldn’t be able to introduce changes to room and bathroom size and location in the nearest future, I have taken your points about the furniture and decoration. We are periodically replacing the desk chairs and looking forward to approval of additional and relocation of existing decorations on the walls in the rooms.

What concerns internet, I would like to inform you that it is free of charge for corporate business travelers, the charge to be waived at departure due to IT software programming. I would assume that has been the reason for being charged. We are also in the process of establishing free WI-FI access in the rooms.

Thank you very much for taking some of your precious time to write your comment which I really appreciate very much.
We look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during a visit to St. Petersburg.
Sincerely yours

Reviewed 4 October 2010

Spent four days in this hotel and loved every minute. Service was wonderful, rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank shandydog
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2010

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. I was glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. It is always a great pleasure to have satisfied guests.

Reviewed 18 September 2010

Our Russian partner booked this hotel for my business trip for 2 nights. The hotel charge was paid by the company so can't comment on the price level. The service was excellent and the room was ok quality and clean. Everything went fine although in the last moment when I left the hotel by taxi I would have expected more from the hotel staff to support me when negotiating with the taxi driver about the price. I don't speak any Russian and asked the portier to fetch me an official taxi from the streets. The taxi driver asked 1000 RUB for a 10 minutes drive and the portier was translating. I asked the portier whether this was a normal price for this short distance and he just said that eighter you take this or shall we wait for another one ?? Well naturally I just took this taxi but afterwards I found out that I paid a really generous tourist rate as a normal price with an official rate would have been around 400 RUB. Naturally the hotel is not involved with these taxis but the portier didn't do anything to say to the driver that a normal price should be charged. This taxi fraund left a small negative feeling about this hotel service but otherwise Angeleterre can be recommend.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2010

Dear Guest,
I was very glad that you found the service at the Angleterre Hotel excellent, the room in good quality and clean. I regret very much about your negative experience concerning taxi service offered by the hotel doorman which is not acceptable and marred your otherwise excellent experience. Unfortunately, there are always such taxi drivers hanging around the hotel looking for customers who believe that they can get a taxi at a better price and good service. We always encourage our guests to use our cars or the numerous city taxi services. However, we have discussed with our doormen the case and that they should support the guest, if he/she insists on using a car from the street, in negotiating a fair price.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments which I highly appreciate.
With best wishes