“Great Hotelmin St Petersburg”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #8 of 355 Hotels in St. Petersburg
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotelmin St Petersburg”
Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

I liked this hotel. It has historical charm with all the modern conveniences you need. Great location opposite St Isaccs Sqaure. Rooms are modern and functional, and housekeeping service was excellent. Bathrooms modern with excellent amenities. Breakfast was plentiful and the service in the restaurant very good. I also had dinner at the restaurant on one evening and was impressed with the quality of the meal and the level of service.

Downfall - very expensive wifi, however Internet was free in the business centre.

Highly recommend.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank kevinpng
, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Guest,
This is a great pleasure for me to read such positive reviews as yours. Thank you for choosing the Hotel Astoria for your staying in St Petersburg. I’m flattered that you found your experience at Rocco Forte’s Hotel Astoria comfortable in sides of accommodation, facilities, service and dining, and disappointed that WiFi is very expensive on your opinion. We pay much attention to the safety and speed of Internet and invest to the net security and the quality to provide our guests safe and high speed Internet connection. I’ve shared your kind words with the kitchen, restaurant service and the housekeeping. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.
Warm regards,
Walter C. Neumann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We really loved this hotel and can't imagine a better place to stay in St Petersburg. The W is too modern and doesn't suit the beauty of the city, and the Grand Hotel Europe is located in an unpleasantly crowded, touristy location and far from Mariinsky and best restaurants for dinner, so that rules out the other luxury hotels, but the Astoria is just perfect. Great service, especially the concierge. Wonderful breakfast buffet and gorgeous restaurant. Comfortable and luxurious rooms (and great toiletries too.) Perfect location. Would definitely stay again if we returned to St Pete.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ThirtyByThirty
, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear Guest,

This was a real pleasure to read you review, I'm flattered that you've defined the Astoria's positioning so right. Thank you for mentioning hotel’s history, atmosphere and location, we appreciate your recommendation and kind words. I will certainly share your comments with all who assisted you, especially with concierge service and restaurant team. They would feel proud that you found your staying comfortable and luxurious. Please let us know when you are planning your next visit so we can make sure everything is in place for your stay.
With best wishes,
Walter C. Neumann,
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I knew I was going to an impressive, stylish and kind of historical hotel, and I found what I was expecting. By the elevator you can see some small plates showing the name of the guests who have stayed in Astoria. Among them, George Bush, Margaret Thatcher, Sting, Liv Tyler....

The ambiance in the hotel is very nice, you feel like, you are staying in a palace. But that lasts until you go and find your very small interior looking room, which is a disappointment. I noticed there are spacious rooms with very nice view, but I guess their rates are a lot higher or they are booked in advance.

The location of the hotel is just amazing, you don't need to take a bus or anything for sightseeing. You just need to get out of the hotel.

The Davidov restaurant offers some very delicious stylish meals.

I haven't had a chance to try but there are Turkish and Fin Baths.

I stayed there at the end of June, there was sunlight till 1 am. You can enjoy a walk anytime of the day you wish.

Room Tip: If you can afford, pick a more spacious and outside looking room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Halit A
, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review. I’m happy that the hotel in general met your expectations and you enjoyed its historical interiors and atmosphere. And I was disappointed to know that you found your room small and simple in interior. Our director of design Mrs Olga Polizzi, sister of Sir Rocco Forte, aims to accomplish the company’s slogan “The art of simple luxury” in her designs using natural materials like Russian linen, as well as colour and stylish interior details to bring comfort to our guests. I’m looking forward to welcome you in Astoria in your next visit and make sure that everything is done for your comfortable stay. Thank you for your kind comments on hotel’s restaurant meals, room tips and Astoria’s location. I will share your generous feedback with my team. We hope to see you in Astoria again soon and we are dedicated to providing you with the highest levels of service.
With best wishes,
Walter C. Neumann
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Is one of the best Hotels in the World with a very nice surroundings.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Moreno R
Walter C N, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your generous comment, I hope to welcome you in Astoria again. Hotel's team was flattered to hear your high opinion about the Astoria and St Petersburg.
Warm regards,
Walter C. Neumann,
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Had a great stay for almost two weeks at this hotel. The location is fantastic. My window overlooked St. Isaac's Cathedral. They had double-pained windows, so noise was not a problem. (I guess they must have added them recently based on some of the complaints I had seen in some of the reviews.) And in general, it didn't seem like the noisiest place in St. Petersburg. The breakfast buffet was fine, though by no means the best I've ever had at hotels of this caliber. The restaurant staff was pleasant, but seemed a bit under experienced and easily confused. Other staff were supremely helpful. I needed an adapter and the one they had brought up didn't fit my US plugs, so the manager came up like 3 times (I was embarrassed by this point and told her not to bother), but she refused to give up until I was able to plug my computer in and as she said, "work to my heart's content." Unfortunately, work I did, and didn't have a chance to visit their pool or spa, but was told by my colleagues that the gym was nothing special, but the pool was nice. The room itself was nice, with wonderfully tall ceilings. The only problem I had was that one night the thermostat wasn't working properly, so it was a little stuffy.

Room Tip: If possible, I recommend a room on a higher floor facing the square. Wonderful view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Roman S
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This charming old hotel with a list of who's who that stays here was impressive. The history on it's own of what happened or nearly happened in WWII was interesting. The location is superb. When our bus arrived with the small group I did not notice anyone to help with my bag, no problem, I headed inside just as someone came to take my luggage. Very helpful but when I said " I guess I should have waited" the older gent curtly replied "yes". Did he mean for me to hear him? Several times he then failed to hold the heavy door as he chatted with his crew. Not the best first impression. All of the other staff including other doormen were kind and helpful. I enjoyed the friendly smiles of the staff.
Our courtyard facing twin room 432 was vey small and not as pretty as the photos on the website and not as large as other twin rooms in our group. My bed was a bit too firm but a friend in another room said theirs was very soft. So, personal tastes or do the beds vary? The hallways were large and barren on our floor, but the rest of the hotel was adorned with beautiful paintings and artwork.
Breakfast and dinner were both delicious!
I think the serenity of this hotel is best enjoyed with a family , a couple, or just a few close friends.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Ammanford, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights with a group of friends. The hotel is beautiful and the lobby area as you enter is very welcoming. I was disappointed with the room as we had booked a room for 3 of us and there was one Big bed and a foldaway bed which was not great quality. The mattress on the foldaway bed was very poor and not very comfortable(considering the cost of the room) However the cleanliness and bathroom facilities were great. I was disapponted that there were no coffee facilities in the room . The restraunt was extremely expensive but i guess thats becouse its a luxurious 5 star hotel and the food is lovely. Staff were lovely at breakfast on the first day but on the second morning it was really busy and they were very rushed. Also the lack of english speaking staff was a bit of a problem at times.The hotel is ideally situated in the heart of St Peterrsburg with great views over st Isaacs square. Overall we had a lovely stay . Thankyou.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends