“The heart of St Petes”

Ranked #7 of 349 Hotels in St. Petersburg
london
“The heart of St Petes”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed at this glorious hotel on a business trip - what can I say. The view from your hotel is breath taking, so many historical places right on your door step, if only time to visit them all.

The hotel itself is a great little find. Staff are multi-lingual so communication isnt an issue. They are friendly and efficient.

The rooms are cosy, and elegantly decorated and have beautiful views over looking the square. My only criticism is they are too hit! i actually like the cold and these rooms are tropical!

Breakfast is a good mix of continental, american and russian. Good quality and plenty of it in the buffet.

Afternoon tea in the hotel is to die for - its a must.

I would love to go back here when I have more time

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Gerold H, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Guest,
It was very pleasant for me to read your kind comments about the Astoria on Trip Advisor. Thank you so much for taking time to write such warm words about our staff, services, food , afternoon tea and the product in general.
May you have more time to go back. Then we will have again pleasure and honour to welcome you to our Hotel and to take care of you to make your next stay even more memorable.
With my appreciation, warm regards and best wishes,

Gerold Held

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Most friendly hotel we have ever been in. Womderful welcome with champagne chocolates and fruit and guest relations manager who could not do enough to help. Rooms well decorAted with great view of cathedral. Hope we can come back soon.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guests,
Many thanks for your kind comments on your recent stay at our Hotel.
I will be extremely pleased to share it with my team, and in particular with our Guest relations Manager Lydia whom you mentioned especially.
I was happy to hear that you intend to come back. You are always welcome!
With my warmest personal regards,
Cardiff
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was lucky enough to win a trip to St Petersburg and we stayed here for 2 nights. It is in a great location, and when you walk into the lobby, you feel like you're in somewhere really special - it is like a traditional 'posh hotel' and although I've never been there is was like I would expect something like The Ritz or Savoy to be like.

The service, as you would expect was superb, as was the breakfast and my room had a great view overlooking St Isaac's Church. The only thing that I would mention is that I had 2 single beds pushed together and I don't think there were any tea/coffee making facilities in the room but that did not affect me at all as I was on my own and didn't need tea/coffee in my room.

We (our group) was there on a Wednesday and Thursday night and on the Wednesday evening there were superb free canapés and desserts in the bar and I think this is a regular thing.

I'm not sure what it cost but if you can afford it, stay there. According to the name plates by the lift doors, it was good enough for George Bush, Madonna, Elton John, Joe Cocker??? and loads of others so it was certainly good enough for me!!!

Room Tip: If you're a couple, I would ask for a double bedded room if you want/need one
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Piero M, Управляющий at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest,

We were happy to read your positive review about your recent stay at the Astoria Hotel, your feed-back provides our future guests with an insight to what we have to offer here, and is greatly appreciated. I will be glad to share your kind words about breakfast, room and service with my team.

Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences with bed in your room at our Hotel. We agree that there is still some field for perfection, and we are continuously working on improvement of our product and services.

We appreciate your wish to stay at the Astoria during your future visits to Saint-Petersburg. You are always welcome!

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance for you.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed next door at the Angleterre Hotel while on tour and had a free night for dinner. We booked a reservation for around 6:30 or 7:00 PM which based on the lack of people in the dining room was very early for St. Petersburg. We had a great, quiet, dinner. The food was outstanding and the service equal to the food. I had simple poached halibut served over olives and greens - it was fantastic. Both simple and elegant. One thing we have found in our travels is that outside of the US, being a waiter is a profession, just not something one does until next semester. We would recommend this restaurant for a quiet dinner. We don't know how the noise level picks up later in the evening.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent dinner at the Astoria Cafe. Your comments regarding the quality of our food and service are greatly appreciated and I will be happy to share this with my F&B team.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you not only to the Angleterre and the Astoria Café, but to the Astoria Hotel as well in the future and would ask that you feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance in arranging your bookings.
Yours sincerely,
New Hampshire
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The hotel's location was ideal and our four night stay a pleasure. The front desk staff was always friendly and accommodating. The concierge arranged a dinner reservation for us while coordinating it with a ticketed event we were attending later in the evening in another part of the city. She timed it all perfectly. Lydia, the Director of Guest Relations stepped in, took us under her wing and smoothly handled a matter that arose at time of check in.
Sergei was at the door always ready with a smile and greeting.
Breakfast at the Astoria was a wonderful multi selection treat. The friendly and otherwise helpful waitstaff moved about with coffee pots in hand, pots that never seemed to come in for the pour. Every morning guests would be waving and asking for coffee as the pots were carried around the dining room before returning to the kitchen not an ounce lighter. You'd ask for coffee, the multilingual waitress or waiter would say "yes," and then promptly walk away. I never did figure this one out. One morning I was even offered wine while my eyes were fixed on a coffee pot.
We would happily return to the Astoria.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Natasha I, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Guest,

We were happy to read your positive feed-back about your recent stay at the Astoria, and I will gladly pass your nice comments to the employees whom you mentioned. Thank you for this very personalized reaction.
We were pleased to learn that you liked the Astoria breakfast. We will discuss your comments with F&B personnel to make services of the wait staff even more efficient and helpful for the clients.
We appreciate your wish to stay at the Astoria during your future visits to Saint-Petersburg.You are always welcome!

Should you need any assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Piero Magino
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed in September for nearly 1 week and we enjoyed everything from beginning to end. We ate every day in the restaurant, breakfast, lunch and dinner and every time we went it was exceptional food and outstanding service. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anybody.

Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate highly your taking time to leave your positive comments about the recent stay at the Astoria hotel on TripAdvisor . Your feed back provides our future guests with an insight to what we have to offer here, and is greatly appreciated. I will definitely share this with my team. We are working hard to improve our product, to diversify assortment of food and guest amenities, to get our personnel trained properly up to the Rocco Forte Hotels standards. And it is always nice to know when we do it right. So your estimate is extremely important for us. We were really happy to learn that you enjoyed dining in our restaurant. Our F&B staff will sure appreciate your warm feed back, and this will an essential motivation for them to provide our guests with faultless service.

We were really honored to have you staying with us, and I hope we will have the opportunity to see you back in the future. We will do our best for you to keep the same excellent opinion about our product and services.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance for you.

Kewarra Beach, Australia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights and - god bless them - we were upgraded! We had an enormous room with a large lounge suite in the sitting area, we called it the ballroom. The marble bathroom was also very large. The towels were excellent quality and I almost needed a crane to help me lift them. I do like good towels and bedding, well done Astoria. We had fresh fruit and chocolates waiting on our coffee table which was a nice touch. We had breakfast here every morning and whilst the staff were excellent in the hotel generally I thought the restaurant manager needed a good shake. The wait staff really needed to look at the tables and be a lot faster at clearing them. Juices were not labelled so it was a surprise as the whether I was about to have blood orange, ruby grapefruit, cranberry or carrot juice of a morning. Didn't know until I tasted it. Simple things like this in a 5 star establishment can be annoying. Hot meals were taking a long time to come out and many of the business clientelle staying here were quite frustrated by this, their time is precious. We weren't in a hurry but I could see hiccups in this dining room that just weren't to the standard of the rest of the hotel. Our breakfast experience did not encourage us to eat here of an evening. But there are plenty of other restaurants located nearby so that is not a problem. The Astoria is located across from St Isaccs Cathedral and a small park. It's a short 10 - 15min walk from the Hermitage. Public transport is also located close to hotel. Money can be changed at the Renaissance Hotel diagonally across the park at a 24hr bank so it's a very convenient place to stay from every angle. The history of the Astoria is fascinating, especially the Hitler connection, I'll leave you to look that up on Google. We loved our stay at the Astoria and if you're looking for 5 star accommodation in St Petersburg this is the place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests,

We appreciate highly your taking time to leave the comments about your recent stay at the Astoria hotel on TripAdvisor . Your feed back provides our future guests with an insight to what we have to offer here, and is greatly appreciated. I will be happy to share it with my team. We are working hard to improve our product, to diversify assortment of food and guest amenities, to get our personnel trained properly up to the Rocco Forte Hotels standards. And it is always nice to know when we do it right. We were happy to learn that you liked our product and amenities and estimated highly their quality.

In view of your general positive feed back it was especially upsetting to read about the inconveniences you experienced during breakfast as a result of our F&B staff failures. Please accept our sincere apologies for this. We have to admit that there is field for improvement there, and we will strive to eliminate shortcomings in this very important for hospitality business sphere as soon as possible.

We were really honored to welcome you to our Hotel, and I hope we will have the opportunity to see you back in the future. We hope to demonstrate you then some improvements in the field of F&B .

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance for you.