“Astoria All the way”

Ranked #8 of 336 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Philadelphia PA
“Astoria All the way”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Historic hotel, excellent service and great restaurant. Inclusive breakfast is a treat.
Walking to center city is s snap from its location. And they greeted us with a basket of fruit !
Will recommend it for sure.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Gerold H, Генеральный директор at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for such kind review on TripAdvisor.

I was very happy to read your positive comments about our Hotel, restaurant, breakfast and location. I hope that St Petersburg got into your heart and we will be very happy if you come to visit us soon again.

With my appreciation, warm regards and best wishes,

Gerold Held

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brussels
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Almost everything perfect, the location, the people, the concierges, the service, the overall quality, the spa, the yoga room, ...
Only downside maybe was the bed which could have been better. We suggest that the hotel also develops an environmental strategy (e.g. possibility to reuse towels, sorting trashes, etc)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Gerold H, Генеральный директор at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for taking time to write your comments on TripAdvisor. I will definately share your comments with my team.

It is a pleasure for me to know that you liked our great location, work of concierges, service, spa and yoga room. Also thank you for suggestion. In the Astoria Hotel our designer Olga Polizzi decorated all rooms with natural elements of the interior and we are sorting plastic rubbish.

Thank you very much for choosing Hotel Astoria and we look forward welcoming you back again.

Kindest regards,
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have been coming to the Astoria for years and in first instance I like the traditional grand hotel atmosphere. For quite some time, the service was very old-fashioned in the post soviet style. With the management of Rocco Forte, the service has become significantly better and during my last stay it was even great. I also like the quite distinctive style of the newly redecorated rooms. The architect must be the same as the one who did the Richmond hotel in Geneva recently. Very light and comfortable. By the way, the bed linen is the best I know! Finally, the lobby bar is very attractive and a great place to take tea.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gerold H, Генеральный директор at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear guest, thank you so much for taking time to write your comments on TripAdvisor. We appreciate highly your feedback.

We are working hard to improve our product, to offer new services for guests and also to get our personnel trained properly up to the Rocco Forte Hotels standards. And it is always nice to know when we do it right. We were happy to learn that you liked our service, newly redecorated rooms and traditional Afternoon tea.

We were really honored to welcome you to our Hotel, and I hope we will have the opportunity to see you back soon.
Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance for you.

With my warmest regards and best wishes from the Astoria hotel,
Lancashire
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed at Hotel Astoria for 2 nights as part of a site visit on behalf of a client. This was one of 5 hotels which I reviewed in St Petersburg and from my perspective did stand out as the best. I was particularly impressed with the associated antiquity and charm of the hotel and, importantly, it’s location in St Issac’s Square and being within easy walking distance of many historical features of St. Petersburg.

I stayed in a recently renovated deluxe junior suite, a well-appointed room overlooking St Issac’s Cathedral. The mix of old and new furnishings and the sleek décor ooze luxury and grandeur that you would expect from the Rocco Forte five-star brand. The spacious bathroom featured a picture from a James Bond movie (perhaps Russia with Love) which was a nice touch.

I did benefit from complimentary internet access but have noted comments from past guests with regards to the extortionate costs and do think that the hotel needs to rethink this policy as free Wi-Fi is certainly expected by guests as a given and it would therefore be short-sighted of management to overlook this.

I did have a slight problem with the temperature in the room which was uncomfortably hot and adjusting the air conditioning unit didn’t have any effect. I did report this to reception but it wasn’t resolved and I therefore had to have the windows open for the duration of my stay, which wasn’t ideal.

You cannot fail to be impressed by the public areas – the Rotunda Lounge, where afternoon tea is served and the Lichfield Bar which pays homage to the British photographer Patrick Lichfield and the walls are adorned with his iconic prints.

I do look forward to returning to Hotel Astoria.

Room Tip: If your budget permits upgrade to a room overlooking St Issac's Catherdral
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Gerold H, Генеральный директор at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for a detailed and constructive comments on your recent stay at the Hotel Astoria on www.tripadvisor.ru.

I'm very happy that you have enjoyed your stay and I truly believe that our approach towards our guest, with new renovated product and innovation which are just being implemented, has brought us success.

Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences that you had with the temperature in your room, we will do everything possible to resolve this problem.

We hope to see you again at Astoria Hotel soon!

Kind regards,
Gerold held
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

A faultless experience from start to finish; welcoming and helpful staff, well thought out room with nice touches like a handful of P G Wodehouse novels and a great afternoon tea. The location is perfect for the Hermitage and St Isaac's Cathedral, and is within easy walking distance of the Marinskiiy. Would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest, thank you very much for such positive review on TripAdvisor. I was very happy to read your kind words about our staff, room, great location and also our traditional Afternoon tea at Rotonda Lounge.

It is a pleasure for me to know that you would like to return to Astoria Hotel! We will be delighted to welcome you again at the Astoria some day.

Please feel free to contact me directly to help with your booking.

Warmest regards,

Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Everything about our stay was perfect. Before we came, the concierge quickly and efficiently answered all of my requests. Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly and upgraded to a huge suite. The room was beautiful and the food was very good too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Gerold H, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest!

Thank you very much for your kind feedback you have posted for us on TripAdvisor.

Our aim is to provide the perfect service all the time. We are very happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay with and you were please with our Concierge. Olga Molchanova, Les Clefs D'Or, our Head of Concierge is best in the city and we are really proud that she leads our team.

Kindest regards,

Hotel Management
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Finally a hotel in which "perfection" has been achieved. Everything is extraordinary: location, service, food, ambiance. More importantly, attention to detail. The rooms are very large and comfortable, and the service during breakfast (which is excellent, including caviar) is without comparison. If you can get a good deal, there is no other place to stay in St. Petersburg. We would go back just for the pleasure of staying there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest!

Greetings form Rocco Forte Hotel Astoria! I hope you have arrived back home safely.

We are so happy to read your review you have posted on TripAdvisor after your stay with us.

We are very happy that we have new supporters in South America - part of the world, which we love and we visit on our regular sales calls.

I'm glad that we have helped to your trip to be nice and memorable. Astoria Hotel has a huge history behind and with combination with all the beauties which this unique city offer make this place unforgettable. We will be very happy to share your experience also on our facebook page.

Thank you once again.

We look forward welcoming you in our hotel soon again.

Your sincerely.