“BEAUTIFUL COMMUNAL AREAS BUT SERVICE AND TIRED BEDROOM MAKE THIS AN AVERAGE SCORE AND DISAPPOINTING FOR ME”

Belmond Grand Hotel Europe
Ranked #7 of 344 Hotels in St. Petersburg
London
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed here as part of a group tour early June. I would summarise by advising travellers that if they don’t have the budget to upgrade to an expensive suite, they would be best to stick with the cheapest/basic rooms, as any other upgrade is a waste of money. I paid for an upgrade to a room on the historic floor and regretted this decision. (Further detail on this is further down in this review).

Below are pros and cons showing where I felt the hotel excelled and where it fell short of my expectations:

PROS:
- Stunning communal areas
- Breakfast was of a high quality with excellent choice and good service
- Food in their Caviar Bar was excellent too and reasonably priced, especially for a 5 star hotel
- Nice spa area/steam room and well maintained
- Concierge very polite, knowledgeable and helpful
- Hotel was in a great location, within walking distance of Hermitage and other tourist hotspots.

CONS:
- Within my package for the Historic floor, it included the use of a butler service. This service is meant to be from 7am to midnight. On two evenings, the butler had left earlier than midnight and I had to phone around reception and housekeeping to try to get hold of what I needed. One of the items I needed was something basic that should have been in the room. On quite a few occasions in the mornings, when I tried to call the butler’s office, no-one was around.

- On a couple of occasions, when ordering room service it either didn’t turn up (and I had to chase), or I was waiting longer than expected for it (over 40 minute wait time for a pot of hot water and cup)

- Water in the room was meant to be replenished daily, but it was not.

- The en-suite to my room was just a shower over the bath tub, rather than separate walk in shower. Not brilliant but just about passable for 5 Star hotel standards, however, the décor was tired and out-dated and there were hard water/lime scale stains around the overflow in the bath.

- Tired/out-dated room. Having read a review on Tripadvisor from someone who stayed in a room on the historic floor, I paid more money to upgrade to a room on the historic floor. I only upgraded because I liked the style of the room this traveller had stayed in. The photo of her room was stunning. To ensure I booked the right type of room, I did also email the Grand Hotel direct last year, attaching a copy of the reviewer’s photo and asked them to confirm what type of room this was, so that I could ensure to book the correct type of room for myself. The hotel did not bother to reply to my query. I therefore emailed the Tripadvisor reviewer direct who did advise it was a room not a suite and that it was on the historic floor. I decided to risk it and booked a room on the historic floor and I deeply regretted this choice. The room I was allocated was awful. The colour scheme itself was the worst element of this room. The bright red and green patterned curtains and matching chairs, along with the style of bed linen were very out-dated, tired and old. The room made me feel like I was staying with an elderly relative, rather than in a grand hotel! The fittings were poor quality and not within keeping of the period building either. The light fitting was meant to be a chandelier but it didn't resemble a chandalier at all. In fact it resembled something you would buy at Ikea. A fellow traveller mentioned that the rooms did vary and they had other rooms that were of a more neutral style. I therefore explained to my butler my disappointment and asked to explore moving rooms. I offered to either move to a different room on the historic floor or downgrade to a lower level room (same as my friend). She told me I couldn’t downgrade and that there was no point moving to a different room on the historic floor as all rooms looked exactly the same. No variations whatsoever. IE, they all had the same colour on the walls and all had the red and green curtains etc. Since returning home it has transpired that this is not the case. Clearly, the butler lied here and should have tried to see if I could swap rooms to a more neutrally coloured room on the historic floor. Instead, she took the lazy option. This is unacceptable and I wish I had been more assertive and visited Reception to take further. She had earlier that evening offered for me to purchase an upgrade to a suite on the floor, but apart from it being too expensive to do so, I did not need a suite. So I had to make do with this very dreary room. I showed her the article/photo that was in Tripadvisor and she advised that this room was actually a suite and was not even on the historic floor. So either the Tripadvisor review was completely wrong or the butler was lying. I couldn’t dwell on it and just had to make do with my dreary bedroom.

Except for the last con above, most of the other cons are minor. You could not mark a hotel like this below three stars, however, the disappointment with some elements of the service, my room and the fact that no attempt at all was being made to resolve the issues with my room brings this score down for me to average.

Room Tip: Don't waste money on an upgrade and if you really hate your room, be assertive and request to mo...
4 Thank Miranda C
GrandHotelEurope, Генеральный директор at Belmond Grand Hotel Europe, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Belmond Grand Hotel Europe!

We appreciate you having taken the time to post your review, as it is only through feedback of our patrons that we can continuously review and improve our services and quality offered.

In our commitment to providing you with the best quality in all aspects of hospitality we are greatly concerned to learn that we had not lived up to your expectations, pertaining to the services and the overall impression of the room and we would like to sincerely apologies for this.

Discussions involving the Butler Team members and myself have taken place to review your most valuable comments, and we would like to assure you that all of your concerns will be addressed and attended to.

Dear Guest, thank you once again for your continuous support and we are looking forward to the prospects of welcoming you back to Belmond Grand Hotel Europe in the not too distant future.

General Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We recently stayed in the Grand Hotel Europe for five nights and have nothing but praise for this wonderful hotel. We were given a significant room upgrade from an Historic Room to an Historic Suite, and each day the hotel brought fresh goodies to our room, including a bottle of pop and cake for my birthday. The butler service was superb and the restaurant recommendations excellent. The hotel is conveniently on Nevsky Prospekt and is just a ten minute walk from Palace Square with lots of restaurants and shops in the vicinity. The breakfast was excellent - an enormous buffet with so much choice that we hardly ate the same thing twice!

1 Thank Charles01
GrandHotelEurope, General Manager at Belmond Grand Hotel Europe, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you most sincerely for your highly positive feedback on the Grand Hotel Europe experience.

It is always our pleasure to delight our guests by exceeding expectations. Your kind words about our service, location and breakfast are deeply appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are visiting St Petersburg.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This Art Nouveau gem in the middle of St. Petersburg is not to be missed. Vintage elegance combined with premiere service. The lobby bar is one of the best - worth a visit in its own right, especially before or after a performance at one of the many theaters in the immediate vicinity.

Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for the comments you've shared with other readers and contributors on TripAdvisor.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon to our legendary hotel for more amazing experiences!

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 June 2014

St. Petersburg is one of the most beautiful cities we've ever seen, and Grand Hotel Europe must be one of the best hotels in the world. The location, across the city hall on Nevsky Prospekt, is perfect. The history of the hotel, going back almost 140 years, is very intriguing. The building is beautiful: just look at the windows and other Art Nouveau details in the bar and in restaurant Europe! The public areas are very stylish, and the thick carpet in the third floor corridor was new. Our third floor Belle Chambre had a great view of the city hall, and Gostinny Dwor, and we heard nothing of the busy traffic on Nevsky. Everything seemed to be just recently refurbished; in a traditional style. We had a state-of-the-art bathroom, and the bed was very comfortable, with very soft, smooth sheets. A television popped up from a cabinet at the end of the bed. Very good lighting. Free wifi. At arrival we were offered a glass of champagne, there was a bouquet of fresh flowers in our room, a large bowl of fruit, and each day we got two bottles of mineral water. (But we drank water from the tap too, without any side-effects. The city has a modern water purification plant, and yes, the water pipes are old, but so are those in Rome, Madrid and many other places.) The air conditioning was very good (maybe a little noisy). And everything was spotlessly clean.
We had asked for a transfer from Finlyandsky train station, which went very smoothly. When we checked in, the young lady at the reception desk was so friendly and welcoming, and that set the tone for the rest of our stay. It is a big hotel, with a large staff; but without exception, every staff member we met, was happy to help us, and to answer our questions. And we met quite of few of them, staying there for six days: using the laundry service, going to the concierge desk, to the business centre, talking with the doormen, having meals and drinks in all the different venues, and so on. Everyone speaks fluent English, so I felt ashamed to try out my bit of Russian. But my efforts were appreciated.
The breakfast buffet is just unbelievable. It is served in the beautiful restaurant Europe, and it is the best we ever had, also with the best staff ever, with so much attention for every guest. Several times we had lunch in the Mezzanine café, or on the terrace, both very pleasant. When we had dinner at restaurant Europe, we had the privilege of hearing a great jazz pianist, Valery Latman, and that made it an unforgettable evening. Twice we had dinner at the Caviar restaurant, and we loved the explanations of the different types of caviar. And each day, we had drinks in the beautiful bar.
No complaints whatever? Yes: the historic roof terrace was closed; we had been looking forward to sitting there. And we hate having to use a tablet to see a menu or a wine list. (Fortunately restaurant Europe and the Caviar restaurant still have a nice old fashioned list, in a leather cover.)
We loved St.Petersburg, and we loved the comfort and the friendliness of Grand Hotel Europe. Very, very strongly recommended!

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review. On behalf of the entire Belmond Grand Hotel Europe team, I would like to pass our appreciation for your very nice comments about your experience with us. The entire team works very hard to consistently deliver the highest level of service and is touched when efforts are recognized through such positive feedback.

We are extremely happy to understand that we have been able to meet your expectations, and that you went back home with great memories about your stay at Belmond Grand Hotel Europe.

We are hoping to have an opportunity of welcoming you back soon to our hotel.

Toronto
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Art Nouveau style right in the centre of Nevsky Prospect. The largest breakfast buffet I have seen on 3 continents with Russian and global selections! We booked a Terrace Room with any eye popping view of the Church on Spilled Blood and the Russian Museum.

Concierge service and transport were courteous and prompt.

A great stay

Room Tip: Terrace Rooms have an extraordinary view
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your stay in the heart of St Petersburg and for sharing your great experience with TripAdvisor readers. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Ideal location to explore St Petersburg, and a true five star hotel in all respects. Not cheap, but sometimes it's worth enjoying a touch of class. Breakfast is an experience in itself, both food and location. Try it - you'll not be disappointed.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for you feedback.

It has been a great pleasure to read that we have been able to provide you a first-class experience. We all hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back to the Belmond Grand Hotel Europe soon.

Best regards,
GREECE
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The setting: Classic room fit for kings or rather tsars. You can actually see the caviar. They have all kinds. Prefer the pasteurized one that is more friendly to our naive stomachs that don't eat caviar more than twice a week.(joke). Listen to the waiter for your choice of vodka. He seems like that he is an expert. Check the price of the vodka he suggests. Better is always more expensive and hold your horses for the caviar. Now the maitr'd will suggest you to try the three kind of caviar with three half shots of different vodkas. Skip it. The caviar is three small blinis and the third one is salmon roe that is in abundance in the breakfast of every hotel that respect itself. So, the best thing to do is to order 50 grams of caviar for a couple. Ask for toast, cucumber, boiled potato and blinis. Why? Psychologically the caviar will last longer. Caviar surprisingly in Russia is not cheap. An entree, caviar (50 grams) and desert will come to $500 for the couple. Difficult times for tsars and tsarinas.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback about the recent dining experience at Belmond Grand Hotel Europe. We deeply appreciate your detailed comments about Caviar Bar and feel very proud that our hotel met your expectations.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon to Belmond Grand Hotel Europe in a not too distant future.

Warm regards,