“memorable”

Ranked #8 of 349 Hotels in St. Petersburg
UK
“memorable”
Reviewed 21 July 2009

This hotel is welcoming. The service is excellent. The ambience is outstanding but the price is to match. It's worth a stay - especially if you are on expenses !

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank budgey49

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
calif
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Grand Hotel made our trip to St. Petersburg very memorable. We did not want to take taxis because of stories we've heard from friends who have visited the city so we arranged for a car for airport transfers and to take us to and from the ballet. Very efficient and friendly drivers.

Our dinner at the L'Europe restaurant was so wonderful. Food was outstanding, service was amazing, and the entertainment during dinner (7 piece orchestra and ballet performance) was a delight. We had the buffet breakfast each morning and there were so many choices that we ended up only eating 2 meals a day since our breakfast was so hearty and filling.

The hotel is elegant and quiet and our suite was very clean and well-appointed. Yes, it's an expensive hotel but we felt we got our money's worth.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Bigpenny34
Rome,Italy
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I have recently been to the Orient Express Grand Hotel europe with my young child for a quick Eastern vacation.
From the moment we got in I realized that that their service was beyond imagination.
Smiling facing at front desk were welcoming my little boy with a Teddy Bear and in the lobby there were 3 little real rabbits greeting guests in a very nice open space filled with Easter eggs.
the room ( a Junior Suite) was spectacular and the hotel location is right there, walking distance from all major attractions.
From bell boys, to front desk and restaurant staff made us feel at home .
My littel child was the center of their attention and this is really hard to find in 5 stars hotels.
I would raccomend this hotel million of times!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank ElenaDit
Paris
Reviewed 17 February 2009

I stayed at the Europe with my girlfriend for a week. Great hotel, great service, great room. But the town of St.Petersburg, particurarly the area between the Hotel Europe and the main attractions, was rather disappointing because the dirty environments. Everyday we were walking from the hotel to the most interesting historical and artistic attractions (Hermitage Museum, Neva River, etc), passing through the (in)famous yards. Specially our shortest way, between Gribayedova 79 and the Swedish Consulat. They are so poor, dirty, full of rabbish, rats, broken bottles, various bad smells, that we decided to walk not a lot anymore. It looks like that old (from the Prince Potiomkin...) times are still there: renewed and repainted facades of the old buildings are hiding disgusting internal yards. The problem is that those yards are walking passages, in the most famous part of the town! In sum, the memories of the perfect service at the hotel Europe were spoiled by the "horror-movie" view in the yards around the hotel.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Environments
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Beaugeste009
Los Angeles area
Reviewed 1 January 2009

Excellent experience at Grand Hotel Europe. Very comfortable rooms near main street within walking distance of the Hermitage/Winter Palace. Customer service was excellent. Enjoyed breakfast buffet and dinner at Chopsticks. Highly recommend. Special appreciation to doorman Yuri whose greeting was always pleasant and genuine!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kate133
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2008

I sent my Mother and Father to The Grand Hotel Europe for their Golden Wedding Anniversary. Everything was organised by email with the hotel staff and was so easy - paying the bill, all the tours, pick from the airport, visa support and special surprises for my parents. It worked like a dream and my parents had a fabulous time. They could not fault the place and said they had never been so spoilt. My father was a airline pilot for BOAC and BA and has travelled extensively around the world and said that this hotel and the staff service was amongst the best he has ever expreienced. A great destination for a special treat.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
10 Thank PoppyElivs
Miami Beach, FL
Reviewed 20 September 2008

As a Contributing Editor for a Brazilian magazine I am fortunate enough to be able to visit many hotels around the World.

I decided to go to Russia for the first time and booked the Grand Hotel Europe for two nights from August 30 to September 1st. I was originally supposed to stay for three nights.

I have nothing but amazing things to say about the hotel and the staff. The service, the room and the amenities were exacttly what I expected from a hotel such as the Grand Hotel Europe. Upon arrival, the hotel arranged a massage therapist to treat my back. I had flown for so many hours all the way from Brazil and when I arrived in St. Peterburg I was not feeling well. The massage therapist named Vadim was able to make me sleep in less than 10 minutes. He is an amazing therapist and a very nice person. He even prepared a special Japanese massage bed and an aroma bath for me. :-)

The breakfast was excellent and I particularly enjoyed the fresh squeezed juices, the variety of cheeses and the smoked salmon. They even serve French champagne at breakfast which I found very interesting. The healthy menu is great and I liked the muesli and the granola very very much.

I had dinner at the Europe restaurant and at the Caviar Bar and liked the live shows. The shows add a nice touch to the beautiful settings. I noticed that they played a Brazilian bossa nova song. I guess they knew that I was Brazilian. The food at both restaurants was fantastic. I had eaten Russian food in other places around the World (New York for example) and I must say that the only authentic Russian food is at the one at the Grand Hotel Europe.

The Concierge did an amazing job in arranging a private tour guide (she even spoke Portuguese) to take me around the city, to the Hermitage and to Catherine Palace. I was mesmerized.

As I said, I have been to so many hotels, but not many hotels make me cry upon departure and the Grand Hotel Europe certainly had this effect on me. I was really sad to live. My last night at Caviar Bar was really memorable.

On the way back to the airport the driver and the guide took me all the way to the gate and made sure that I knew where to go. In St. Petersburg you must know from which terminal you are departing since there are two.

Again, I can only say good things about this hotel and cant wait to go back and experience the hotel again.

If there is a hotel that one must put on the list to visit, the Grand Hotel Europe in St. Petersburg should certainly be on the top of his/her wish list.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — there is nothing to dislike about the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo