“Most memorable stay filled with culture. Can not wait to go back”

Belmond Grand Hotel Europe
Ranked #8 of 362 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Grand Hotel Europe is located in the city center. Perfect location! Just blocks away to great restaurants, park, museum, shopping and Michalevky theatre and 10-15 minute nice walk to Hermitage and other spots. We spent the most memorable 5 nights ever in this hotel in June, almost white nights - the sun was setting past midnight. We had a corner suite on the top floor with a wrap around terrace. The suite was a little outdated, but had some charm and the wrap around terrace was magnificent with stupendous views and own teak chaises, chairs and table. I felt like I was in Paris too. While sitting on the terrace we heard classical music penetrating the air and wondered where this was coming from... so magical. Marina, the reservation manager made me feel very comfortable already since I have been dealing with her prior to my arrival. She was very efficient and helpful in obtaining documents for our visas. The staff welcomed our 7 year old child with a Teddy Bear and a special note which included a gift certificacte she could redeem for a piece of cake or ice cream at the coffee shop. A very nice and thoughtful thing to do and keeps the little one happy. In our suite we had waiting a bottle of wine and a wonderful grand piano sculpture made from dark chocolate and filled with delicious chocolates. The chocolate was so good that we kept on breaking the piano into pieces and eating it and were disapointed when we returned from day trip and our piano with out feet was going. The housekeeping staff is too efficent, lol...The housekeeping also left chocolate of the day by your bed side each evening. In comparison to Baltchug Kempinski in Moscow the suite was much smaller here. The closet space was minimal in the hallway but we managed to squeeze in. Also, the suite had an extra bathroom off the living room (a plus), comfortable bed and linens, and large master bathroom (Bulgari toiletries) with warm tile floor, wall to wall dark block out curtains and NO traffic noise. The hotel was magnificent. Breakfast room which I will never forget and really enjoyed each morning listening to the Harpist play until about 10:30 am. A heaven for Tea lovers. I am a tea drinker and there were close to 24 jars of different flavors of loose tea. I think I managed to try them all in my 5 day stay with different honey. Wonderful selection of everything, from hot dishes to cold cuts, appetizers, fruit, pastries, Champagne and juices. The breakfast room was gorgeous, old world charm with beautiful stain glass ceilings, details, dark hard wood booths. The service was fantastic and thank God not too stiff like at Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio. Professional yet human not robotic. The Concierge Xenia was excellent! She got us! And she knew exactly what we would like. Her recommendations were up our alley and terrific. She took care of our tickets to Marinsky theatre for a sold out performance of Anna Karenina. The hotel has a box there and for extra fee in addition to the ticket you will be all set going through the hotel. We really did not care for the box once we were there, the box was at the end of the orchestra, elevated by a 3/4 meter, maybe? We would prefer the center stage front seats. Since the theatre orchestra seats are on the same level and are not elevated you may have a hard time seeing the stage. Although Marinsky is the most famous theatre and you need to get a taxi to get there (25 minute walk on the way back) I prefer Michalevski Theatre which is just around the corner from the hotel. You can go there to the box office directly and purchase the tickets on your own. This theatre is much smaller and has a cozy feel, hard wood floors in the bar area where you can realx during intermissions and is just as nice as Marinsky. So if you don't get the chance to do Marisnky the flavor of Russian Ballet will just do with Michalevsky. We are not ballet people (our child is) but we ended up seeing 3 performances on our trip. Also good restaurants are Zhar (amazing room, food - best pierogi and potatoe pancakes, experience, must do), Terrace (no one spoke English when we had an issue luckily my Russian came in handy), Vodka Room (great food and caviar & vodka). Park resturant by the park was fine and reasonble for quick meal. We enjoyed Grand Hotel's snack restaurant by the bar area and a chocolate counter a lot which you must sample since they have chocolate factory on the premises. Many smokers, I think they have about 4 tables for non smokers but the smoke can get around. I wish I tried their caviar restaurant. We just did not have an opportunity this time around too busy doing other things. The Spa was small and had no pool to swim but small plunger to jump in. High speed internet you can purchase cards and use it within 36 hours window which was convenient. The weather tends to be unpredictable there. Sunny and next minute rain. On a rainy day we went to Hermitage. The hotel doesn't sell the tickets for this museum and the lines could be up to 2 hours long. I recommend finding a tour guide who can get you in with out the wait. This is the only hotel I would consider staying at in St. Petersburg. I love everything about this city, hotel and the staff we dealt with was exceptional.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,688)

Reviewed 15 August 2010

My wife and I went for dinner on the outside terrace of this hotel, but we came to regret this decision later. After we ordered the appetizer and the main meal the waiter asked whether we wanted to share (I don't know why he asked). Because we could share, we changed the order for the appetizer. We indeed received each a dish which half the appetizer but after that, to our amazement, only my wife was served with the main dish. I asked the waiter twice if my dish was still forthcoming and he seemed to confirm that, but nothing happened. Finally, I went to the head waiter and explained the problem. It appeared that our waiter believed that we would share the main meal (trout from the oven)as well, with 1 dish and 1 set of cutlery. Without any apology, I received my trout 45 minutes after my wife had finished her meal. Needless to say that I do not recommend this restaurant.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jvanunen
gheurope, General Manager at Belmond Grand Hotel Europe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2010

Dear Guest,
I was very sorry to read of your experience at Grand Hotel Europe, but thank you very much for your feedback: we constantly strive to improve our service, and your feedback is vital in helping us to achieve this.

With regard to the quality of service in the Terrace Restaurant, it is obvious that our staff did not perform to the required standards. We encourage our service staff to offer menu suggestions to our guests when they feel it would be appropriate, taking into consideration the guests’ specific preferences. I know that the gentlemen who served you that day had only recently joined our team, and was still getting used to properly explaining and recommending dishes. We are therefore offering him further training as well as additional classes in English.
Regarding the timeliness and the delay in preparation of the main course, I can only say that dishes featuring whole baked trout take longer to cook than other main courses, but they certainly should not take 45 minutes.
We have therefore reviewed both the menu selection and our preparation methods, and have been coaching our staff to maintain an open dialogue with our guests, making them aware of any dishes that involve an unusually long waiting time.
We hold regular pre-meal staff meetings in which we address ways of improving our service, and are highlighting your comments to ensure that such issues do not occur again.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and if you intend to return to St. Petersburg, please let us know. We would love to be able to make good on our issues, and to offer you a new chance to experience the true Grand Hotel Europe, by welcoming you to one of our restaurants as our guests.

Reviewed 13 August 2010

After spending a week traveling the Golden Ring of Russia we spend our last night in St. Petersburg here in celebration of our wedding anniversary. We arrived before noon not expecting to have a room awaiting us. We were given two choices of rooms and shown each before making our decision. We choose the one with a lovely view from the terrace of the Russian Museum (Mikhailovsky Palace) and the Church of Spilled Blood.

In celebration of our anniversary we were given a bottle of Russian Champagne, a bowl of fresh fruit, chocolate covered strawberries, flowers, and beautifully engraved crystal champagne glasses for us to take home as a souvenir. Our room was decorated with heart shaped pillows and rose petals led a path throughout the room the the king sized bed.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They went as far as to inform the restaurant we were having dinner at of our anniversary where we were congratulated again in the form of a surprise dessert.

The rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable. Blessed with air conditioning to combat the Russian summer heat wave.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DJost

Dear Guest,

I am very happy that you enjoyed your wedding anniversary with us. I hope you will remember your day in the imperial city of St Petersburg and will toast many happy occasions with the Grand Hotel Europe's crystal glasses. We would love to welcome you to celebrate future anniversaries with us, so that once again, we may have the pleasure of welcoming you in the style of Russian royalty.

Reviewed 8 August 2010

During a shore excursion from our cruise, we stopped at the Grand Hotel Europe for a late-morning refreshment, and later, lunch. Exquisite decor, attentive waitstaff, and a perfect Russian summer lunch: blini with red caviar and cold borscht. A harpist played in the cafe. A perfect respite during a steamy day in St. Petersburg!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank westmelrose

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comment. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay at Grand Hotel Europe. I have to compliment you on your your choice of dishes for a truly Russian meal. I only wish you had tried our Caviar Bar to complete your Russian experience—but I am sure you reserved this for your next visit.
May we invite you to experience more of what the Grand Hotel Europe and St Petersburg can offer. Why not come back again when the snow has fallen to enjoy the White Days of Zhivago-like romance. Winters are getting milder here. You would be most welcome to come and join us!

Reviewed 13 July 2010

My husband took me and friends to dinner at the Hotel Europe in to St Petersburg for my birthday and the whole experience was just great, perfect the best food I have had in a long time, and the service was outstanding. They made us feel like Old Russian royalty. I can tell you it was a-amazing!

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Betede
gheurope, General Manager at Belmond Grand Hotel Europe, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2010

Dear Birthday Girl,

We are just thrilled you enjoyed your visit and experience at the Grand Hotel Europe. After 135 years of service, we are proud to treat you as old Russian Royalty, after all, you deserve it and your husband made sure of this.

We hope to welcome you back on your husband's birthday, then we can treat him as an old Russian Tzar.

Have a wonderful summer!

Reviewed 29 June 2010

My partner took me to St Petersburg for Valentine's Day and the whole experience was magical, made more so by the pampering and extravagant package she booked with the Grand Hotel Europe - at what cost I cannot imagine, but as the recipient I can tell you it was a-maz-ing!

We stayed in a suite on the historic floor and were welcomed by a chilled bottle of vodka, caviar and the trimmings, and then - whoosh! - in came fresh made-to-order-on-arrival blinis. Just divine. The room was spacious and well laid out (although someone please tell me why, no matter how nice the European hotel, do the mattresses all dip slightly in the middle?) and the bathroom was huge. The suites come with some fun perks like the ability to choose which one of many label amenities you want to be indulged with (I think I chose Chopard) and baths made on request.

We dined in the hotel's fine dining restaurant where I had the most unique caviar and egg dish ever - very pretty - and we also dined in their Chinese restaurant. Both were great, but I'm thankful I didn't get to see the bill.

The service could not have been more attentive, although perhaps that was heightened by the arrangement of a hotel car, driver and guide starting with airport pickup and continuing daily throughout the week. It felt like coming home every day, with all the doormen greeting us as if they actually remembered us from that morning or the day before!

Service and food in the lobby restaurant/bar was just ok - lovely fireplace, but somehow that area felt like any nice hotel, anywhere.

Nearby restaurant Tsar was my favourite of the trip - no matter where you stay, make sure to dine there!

Would return to the GHE in a heartbeat, but it's so expensive and romantic I'm sure it will be a number of years and a number of banked bonus paychecks before that happens again :)

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barb S

Your partner really made an impression and I am pleased our team here at the Grand Hotel Europe were able to assist. Please be sure to check our web site often, because sometimes we have special rates and packages, so there really is no need to always break the bank.

You really did experience many parts of the wonderful guest experience we strive to provide and I am thrilled Valentines Day 2010 was one to remember, maybe your partners birthday could be another opportunity to be whooshed some Blinis - shhhh, we won't tell your partner, call us, we can make another special trip come to life.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

Stayed for 4 nights here as part of a small tour group. We had just come from Ritz Carlton in Moscow and walking into room in the Grand was a bit of a come down. Ritz had marble bathroom with separate shower - Grand had small bathroom with cheap (looking) tiles with shower over bath and incredibly naff shower curtain. Room was ok but just absolutely no sense of wow. Our room looked over mezzanine cafe so quiet during evening when cafe was shut but you could hear piped music in your room whilst cafe was open (not really a problem as we were not in room much during the day). Breakfast was nice - good selection. However, service was annoyingly too efficient ie if you lifted a piece of toast from your plate to your mouth - your plate was speedily removed because it was empty! I lost count of the number of times over the course of 4 breakfasts that I had to hold on to my plate to prevent them taking it away as I was still eating.

Lobby bar is good. Ate there the first night as we arrived late. good atmosphere and nice choice of cakes too. We ate at Rossi (the hotel's italian restaurant) and that was perfectly ok.

There were 2 incidents during our stay which marked hotel down in my opinion. Firstly was the night we had dinner at Rossi. We chose a chianti from the wine list and were told by the waitress that they didn't have that one any more. We therefore chose an alternative. The wine waiter then appeared and apologised that our second choice wasn't available either but he brought with him an italian wine which we weren't familiar with. He recommended it and said it was the same price as the wine we had just ordered. We took his recommendation. Wine was fine but when bill came, his recommended wine was £20 more expensive. Not such a big deal but I thought that was slightly underhand. The second incident was when we went to the business centre to reconfirm our return flight to London and to print off our boarding passes. We were charged for internet use (which I understood was their policy) but they then asked us how many pieces of paper we had used and were charged for the 2 sheets of photocopy paper used to print off our boarding passes. I thought that was exceedingly naff considering the prices they charge for the room - can they not throw in the cost of 2 pieces of copy paper?????

Location of hotel was good - but overall I was expecting something more than it delivered.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dee090

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay at the Grand Hotel Europe; we sincerely welcome and encourage feedback, this assists us with our desire for "Continuous Improvements".

With respect to wine availability AND price in Rossi's Restaurant. I totally agree, a gap of £20 for wines stated to be in the "Same price category" is an incorrect misinterpretation from our staff, I personally will print off your comments and share them with the Team, so we can ensure we either maintain adequate Chianti wine stock, or reprint the wine list more often, when we run low on certain popular wines, in today's high-tech world, this is quite an easy exercise.

As for the breakfast service, it is difficult to find a middle ground between "inefficiency and over efficiency", it certainly seems we pushed the boundary on efficiency, seems a common sense approach to service needs a little fine tuning.

Thank you for pointing out the strict policy in the Business Centre, I just joined the hotel a few weeks ago and this will be immediately rectified.

Once again thank you for your feedback, and if you intend to return to St. Petersburg, please ask to speak with the "New" General Manager and I would love to welcome you with a fresh glass of Chianti so I can share so of the improvements we are working on.

Thanks again for taking the time, this assists me with the step by step journey of continuous improvement.