“Fantastic experience, it is like being in a tzar's palace!”

Belmond Grand Hotel Europe
Ranked #8 of 362 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 14 February 2011

There are few good hotels in St. Pete, like Astoria or Nevsky Palace. You could stay in any of them. I prefer the Grand Hotel Europe for its unique decoration, splendid buffet breakfast and wonderfully professional staff.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,686)

Reviewed 19 December 2010

We stayed for a week in the hotel to celebrate our honeymoon an we weren't disappointed. From champagne at check in, you're made to feel very special. We were then showed to our room which was an upgrade to boot! As it was my wife's birthday, we also had a handmade chocolate heart filled with the ripest strawberries. The housekeeping staff also do an excellent job and all areas of the hotel are spotless.

The buffet breakfast is also excellent and again there is champagne and a pianist. We did eat in rossi's which was good but rather quiet but again service was excellent. The only thing that wasn't completely perfect was the lack of any wifi (although quite welcome these days!) and waiting an hour for a cup of tea through room service.

Overall though a truly magical stay and worth every penny!

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Taunton84
Reviewed 14 December 2010

If I ever return to Sankt Peterburg, I rather spend some extra money and stay there again. Althought very expensive, you are not likely to find a hotel of this calibre in Western Europe for the same price, besides, it is worth every penny. It's located in the heart of Sankt Peterburg, whithin walking distance from top attractions such as The Russian Museum, The Hermitage, Nyevskiy Prospyekt and The Church on Spilt Blood, and very close to a metro station as well. The location was one of the key advantages of staying at this hotel, but definitely not the only.

In a place of difficult communication and an extremely unfriendly crowd such as Russia, the staff of this magnificent Leading Hotel of The World made us feel like royalty. Special services such as private BMWs, Kirov reservations, local guides and translators for the museums came off very handy, and every piece of advice shared by the concierge regarding restaurants and stores we should visit was spot on.

The hotel itself is by far the most beautiful I've ever seen. It is sumptuous without being tacky or over the top, the decoration is of extreme good taste and has a Russian flavour to it that makes it incredibly unique, a perfect fusion of East and West. We stayed at the standart double room. Even though it's called "standart" it has the same exquisite qualities as every other inch of the Grand Hotel, very spacious and extremely comfortable. There is no free internet in the rooms, I remember paying around 600 roubles for a 3-day card

Restaurants were a highlight. Each had lovely live music, from harp and jazzy vocals to spanish guitar and violins. I only ate from the breakfest buffet once, and though it was great (caviar, blynis, exotic fruit), it's not really necessairy when you can eat a delicious slice of cake along with an overwhelming variety of the best English teas at the Mezanin Cafe for a fraction of the price. The Cafe also happened to be my favorite atmosphere in the hotel, posh, bright and colorful, but like every other section of Grand Hotel, never losing its well balanced elegance (the buffet on the other hand was just okay). Nearby you can find good food as well, some choices are the classical Tsar' (traditional Russian restaurant) and the trendy Terrassa.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed 7 December 2010

It's a real 5 star hotel: perfect, elegant, posh and expensive.
But the shocking thing is that they do not have free wi fi (now even small 3 stars hotels have it)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Maria N
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Traveling on business in the 1980s, when travel in Russia was a very different experience, my husband had fond memories of this hotel, which was at the time the only semi-westernized grand hotel in the city. Curious to visit again, especially now that it is part of the Orient Express group and one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we booked ourselves in for a five night business trip for him, pleasure for me. Our stay this time at the Grand Hotel Europe had a problematic start. While his business per diem covered a classic standard room at the Grand Europe, I reserved one of the considerably more expensive Terrace Rooms overlooking the Art Square. This would be my first and probably only trip to St. Petersburg and I was willing to personally cover the upgrade in order to have an unobstructed view of the St. Petersburg skyline, the Art Square and the Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood. Upon arrival we discovered that half of hotel was wrapped in scaffolding and that, while we could step out onto our terrace and peer over the plastic wrap, our otherwise fabulous view from the room – and from our bed - was completely obstructed. My initial complaint upon seeing the room brought two offers: first a down grade to the classic superior room that we had first booked, and then an "upgrade" to a room that while twice the size and had a newer bathroom, had only one small window, a shabby over-used coach and was on the third floor facing the side street. Neither option was really an improvement, so we agreed to stay in the terrace room, but only when the client service representative assured us that all of the construction on that side of the building was complete and that our privacy would be respected. (Note on the Terrace Rooms: these rooms are slightly smaller than others in the hotel because the terrace footprint takes up space. But they are still large by European standards. The best would be room 509 on the corner or ours, 501, on the end.) As we settled in my husband found himself recalling the old Russia, especially when we discovered on the first night that we had little-to-no heat and the hotel's solution was to provide a portable space heater! This was followed by our losing all electricity when I plugged in my Iphone - a problem that corrected itself, but only after my husband dressed in order to go down to get help (the phones were out as well). By now we were laughing and trying to accept our lot (This is Russia afterall!), though comparisons with my husband's colleagues, who were staying elsewhere, made us a bit envious of their problem free stays and free Wi-Fi (which the Grand Europe does not provide). However, on the third night, after it snowed (wonderful), we discovered footprints all over our terrace, suggesting that someone had been working there during the day. The following morning, while I dressed, three men appeared on the scaffolding but, when they saw me, made no retreat and acted as if their presence was routine. Furious, I summoned a customer service representative to witness the invasion and proceeded to complain about the extra price charged for a room that had neither the promised view nor the privacy. It took a while for her to understand the point I was making, but eventually, it got made and the management agreed to reduce the price of our room to that of the classic superior originally booked (which has no view but a lot more privacy). But the story does not end there, for on the very next morning, at 7 am, we were awakened by the sound of voices, hammering and movement outside our terrace doors. The men had returned! This time, my husband made the angry call and the same customer service rep was dispatched to scold the contractors. To the credit of the hotel, once they realized how bad things were, they started to work very hard to make it up to us, not only by lowering the price (which would have been sufficient), but by providing complimentary champagne one night, chocolates the next and a box of chocolates upon departure. On our last day, the scaffolding was removed (yeah!) and we had one night to enjoy the fabulous view. My advice to the hotel management is COMMUNICATION: No one had told us upon booking that the room we reserved would be so compromised. If they had, I would have book a different type of room and all could have been avoided. Setting aside all of the above difficulties, the concierge service at the Grand Europe was FIRST CLASS, and we used their services a good deal. Also, the Lobby Bar staff worked very hard to help us rig a little surprise birthday party for a colleague late at night after the ballet. Would I stay here again?…Yes, because in the end, they did make it all up to us – as if our opinion mattered (after all they do have competition these days) - and in style.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
gheurope, General Manager at Belmond Grand Hotel Europe, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay at the Grand Hotel Europe, feedback such as yours assists with our efforts of "Continuous Improvements".

In regards to our renovation program including the Terrace rooms, I apologize for the disturbed privacy and the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us.

The Grand Hotel Europe is a unique historic building, dating back to the 19th century, and we make every effort to preserve the authentic look of the hotel, which is also the monument under governmental protection. Now we are undertaking façade works to restore and bring back the original beauty of the exteriors of the Grand Hotel Europe. For this purpose we have covered parts of the façade with scaffolding. This is a necessary measure, and our construction team strives to make the process as compact and time-efficient as possible.

Regretfully we had to use the terraces for dismantling the scaffolding in the northern wing of the hotel, which caused you disturbance for which we again apologize.

Thank you for your advice on the communication. There is certainly room for improvement here.

We will mention the ongoing restoration works on our WEB site, as well will be informing guests at the stage of reservation.

I am thrilled we finally managed to turn your experience into a positive one.

Should you visit St Petersburg again, when the renovation works are complete, please do let us know. It will be our pleasure to

allocate you our most popular Terrace Suite (# 509) for you to enjoy complete privacy while experiencing the St. Petersburg sunsets.

I thank you very much for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to our city

Reviewed 21 November 2010

I chose this hotel at the last minute. This hotel was incredible from the second you arrived to the second you leave.

The location is great close to all the main attractions and walking distance to The Hermitage museum and the nearby fort and cathedrals..

The hotel room is second to none. It's one of the most comfortable rooms I've stayed in. The staff are attentive, friendly and very professional.

The food is great, not cheap, but great. The 7 star Russian restaurant was not what I expected and was a bit disappointing. The Mezanine Cafe is a great place for a break before heading back to your beautiful room.

This is one hotel I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2010

St Petersburg is a beautiful fascinating city, and the Grand Hotel Europe fits the Russian atmosphere perfectly with its luxurious environs and storied past . The Lobby Bar is a scene straight out of the early James Bond films mixed with a “Ricks” feel from Casablanca with a colorful cast of characters and old world elegance. We especially enjoyed attentive service while my wife and I sipped Russian vodka and Russian champagne to accompany Beluga Caviar after an evening of ballet at the nearby Mussorgsky Theatre.

We spent four wonderful nights at the Grand Hotel Europe in late August. The location is central with the ability to walk to the Hermitage, many nice restaurants (Terrassa), and the Ballet and Opera Theaters. Being an active business traveler and Marriott Rewards Platinum member, it was a nice break from the clinical monotonous chain hotel environment. After St Petersburg we actually took the Sapsan High Speed train to Moscow (highly recommend rather than fly) and stayed at the Ritz Carlton with Marriott points. While the Moscow Ritz Carlton was elegant and luxurious (I’m not complaining!) with an unmatched location across for Red Square, but until walked out the front door, we very well could have just been in the Ritz Carlton in Phoenix or Philadelphia. The Grand Hotel Europe was not only elegant and luxurious, but also a rich cultural experience.

The rooms are large and surprisingly quiet. The fare in the restaurants outstanding (we had bear for dinner one night in the Caviar Bar). Sure, the price can be an issue . However we booked a package through Luxury Link which made the stay reasonably affordable.

Some other points: Ok.. the service in Russian hotels (both the Grand Hotel Europe in St Petersburg and the Ritz Carlton in Moscow) is not exactly on par with the Peninsula in Bangkok or the Oberoi in Agra, but Russia in not exactly a service centric society due to its Soviet past. But the respective Russian hotel management personnel and staffs are trying hard and are almost always unfailingly polite and professional. (The same can be said for Tahiti or Bora Bora where the locals tend to move with a little less of a sense of urgency than your average New Yorker) So just take into account the local cultural aspect in relation to the expectation of service levels and attentiveness while in Russia or any other country or region.

All in all, My wife and I would not hesitate to return to the Grand Hotel Europe given the opportunity to visit St Petersburg again. It was a fabulous and rich experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple