“Champagne in the morning” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Corinthia Hotel St. Petersburg

Corinthia Hotel St. Petersburg
Ranked #29 of 331 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Moscow, Russia
“Champagne in the morning”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed in this hotel twice for a business trip. The location is perfect of course as well as the conference facilities. I was not impressed with the room however, it looked very modest and small. The best thing about this hotel (apart from the location) is breakfast. The variety of food is huge, they serve fresh juices and champagne, which is very nice :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Massachussetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed 8 nights and we could have stayed longer. We were in a Executive floor junior suite. The room was one of the best rooms we have ever stayed at, even better than most 5 star European Hotels! Comfortable, every possible amenity, large size, big closets and bathroom with separate bath and shower. No detail was missing....and the price was the most reasonable of the luxury hotels in St Petersburg. A breakfast was included in the rate, either in the Imperial restaurant or at the executive Lounge on the 4th floor. Both were superb and far exceeded the choices we have ever had at other European hotels. We chose to eat, most days, at the executive lounge because the staff were so attentive. The selections were slightly less than in the big restaurant...... but fresh squeezed juice, Cappuccinos, fresh rolls, Champagne, fresh salmon caviar, smoked salmon, fresh fruit, eggs, bacon and sausage were more than adequate for us. Language is a barrier for us in Russia but it certainly didn't mar our ability to enjoy this hotel. My only issue with this excellent hotel is their business center.Each time I used the printer it I had to fix it before I could use it and there are no wireless printers available, either!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We could not disagree more with the comments of Melb D, posted recently. Our experience here has been positive and we have found the staff helpful and willing to do all they can to help. Not having any Russian in our vocabulary, and the first time in this country, we were nervous about an ability to communicate, and so it has been a very good experience to find the high degree of competence demonstrated by reception, concierge and breakfast room staff. When we had a problem with the safe on a Saturday night it was reassuring that within a few minutes an engineer was in attendance to assist in resolving the problem.

For a city that seems to have limited knowledge of gluten-free food (in restaurants we have tried, anyway), we were very pleased that the Corinthia was able to provide multiple types of gluten-free bread for breakfast. The first time anywhere we have found more than one type! And the level of attention was pleasantly adequate.

Room Tip: We had an inner-facing room in the back building, very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank geoffrog
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

My stay in the hotel made me open an account on tripadvisor so that I can give my feedback for the sake of others. First of all, I dont trust the reviews on trip advisor about this hotel because i feel that this hotel is overrated or may be the other hotels are worse that this one.

Here is my experience in this hotel during my 6 nights stay in June 2013.

As I checked in one of the staff was called to give me an orientation. As she guided me to my room she was explaining things like.. here is the lift, here is the restaurant, the gym is on 8th floor.. there is wifi.. open ur browser..bla bla. which are pretty basic things. After I put my luggage the first thing I wanted to do was go to the Gym. i went the lift, oops.there is no 8th floor.. so i went back to the room and asked them.. where is the GYM, the answer was 8th floor.. So i went the lift to 7th floor.. started walking around looking for the stairs.. and gave up. went back to the room again and asked them..there is no 8th floor so where is the Gym, the answer was.. you need to take the lift to 4th floor... walk to the other building, then take another lift to the 8th floor. To me that is the most important information that they should have given me which is a sign of incompetency and common sense.

Later I asked them, where is the kettle so that i can make some tea.. the answer was.. no kettle in the rooms, you need to order from room service.. nice!!

At night, I noticed the DVD players, decided to watch a movie from the collection that i carry but could nt operate it. so called the reception and asked them for help. the answer was " your room is not supposed to have DVD player". I said, well it is here right in front of me, so i would like to get some help so that i can use it. the answer "if i send a technician he would have to take it away from your room because it is not supposed to be there". I was staying in an executive suite and i am not sure why it is not supposed to be there, it is there anyway and I could nt understand why i cant use it. But the guy seemed stubborn and said he cant let me use. I just could nt understand the logic, and for my rest of the stay there 6 nights the DVD player was just there in my room and I could nt use it.

if you are having breakfast at their restaurant, forget about getting any attention at all, you are on your own..

The lady at the concierge is a disaster. I asked her for getting me a cab to go to Park Lane hotel, and she insisted that it is walking distance and gave me directions. I walked and ended up in a neighborhood in the middle of no where and forget a star hotel there was no human soul in that vicinity ..

My flight was in the evening at 6:30, so i requested for a late check out, and it was declined, they said, i have to check out at 12 which is the standard time. i travel a lot, and this was my first experience and I was disappointed about it because i stayed there almost one week and i thought i could have been given some consideration.

As a first class passenger, my airline provided me complimentary pick up. I checked out at 12 as they told me, and waited in the lobby for my car to arrive at 3:30. just to make sure I went to the same lady at the concierge and told her.. there is pick up that i am expecting, and the driver will ask for me.. and i am gona sit right there.. she said.. no problem.. I waited for the car, past 3:30 no one came .. and around 3:45 i saw one gentleman.. roaming around the lobby, frantically searching .. saw him going to concierge and asking something and again.. frantically searching. i sensed something wrong, so i went up to the guy and asked him.he was infact looking for me. i did nt bother to ask what went wrong. cause i could figure it out based on all my experience with the staff there.

The hotel clearly has problems with the competency of the staff that is making the life of the guests there miserable. This is my observation and I would nt stay there anymore.

Thanks

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Melb D
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I just concluded a 7 night stay at the Corinthia. A lovely hotel with a very accommodating staff, even if it was difficult at times to communicate to the housekeeping staff exactly what we wanted. We stayed on one of the executive floors and the room was very well appointed, if not overly spacious. The food in the restaurant and in the lounge was good, fresh and very well presented. This is a place I would certainly at again if my travels bring me back to St. Petersburg. Take note however that the gym is very limited for a hotel of this size.

Room Tip: Certainly avoid a room that is at the front of the hotel overlooking the street.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EricPere, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. Petersburg, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for posting your kind words following your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St. Petersburg during the beautiful season of the white nights. I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel, your room, the food in the restaurants and, the most important, the service that my great team provide. I am very pleased to hear that you would like to come back to us, which I hope will be very soon.
We look forward to seeing you again at the Corinthia.
With kind regards,
Eric Pere
Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

I had a room on the executive floor, which was new and well-designed, if slightly on the small side.
the decor is modern and plush. I heard from other people though that they were placed in the old rooms and were very unhappy. What lets this hotel down is some of its staff who were polite, but quite frankly poorly trained. E.g. the concierge didn't know which restaurant to recommend and how to get there, etc. The reception was not very efficient either and I had to explain to them how things should be done. Would not recommend having breakfast at the executive lounge either, the waitress there had to be hassled and called over, instead of coming over and asking. breakfast took 30 mins to arrive and generally, she looked like it was her first day on the job. Generally, staff need more training and a good kick up the backside. They are not rude, just inexperienced. Lack of spa is actually very disappointing, as this is what you expect from Corinthia around the world. Will probably give them another chance, but if they haven't improved their service, i would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you book one of the newly refurbished rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for letting us have your invaluable feedback following your recent stay with us at the Corinthia Hotel St. Petersburg.
Whilst I am pleased to note that you found our hotel beautiful and enjoyed you room in the Executive Wing, I am very concerned to know that we did not manage to fully meet your expectations during your stay. At Corinthia Hotel we do work hard to deliver a warm and friendly service to our guests, however, it is very important to know how we are perceived as we realize the importance of efficient and caring service.
I very much hope that you give us another chance to take a good care of you on your next visit to St. Petersburg.

With kind regards,
Eric Pere
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

It is a good option in St. Petersburg, but I had some problems in this hotel when I stayed there for 4 night in May/13.
When I arrived at 2PM at receptin desk with my reservation number, I was told room was not ready yet. I left my luggage there and went out for sightseeing. At 8PM, I showed up again, room was still not ready!! 8 PM!!
I was offered a glass of champagne and had to wait. They told me I would be upgraded, so I took it easy.
When in room, I noticed bathtub water was disgustingly yellow, deep yellow and so was tap water and shower water.
I called reception and the sent a so called plumber expert, who stood there for endless minutes (it was 10 PM, needed a bath and water was dirty). By all means they tried to convince me the problem was "minimum", and I started to get angry because a 5star hotel should at least provide clean water.
In the end, around midnight I got another room and could take a shower and sleep.
Not an "we apologyze" was said to me and I decided the treatment I was receiving was absurd so I demanded my room to be upgraded, which happened the next day.
Apart from this (solved) incident, I have to say their location is splendid, breakfasts are plentiful and the hotel has convenient services.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends