“Not clean or well equipped”
Review of Moscow Hotel

Moscow Hotel
Ranked #218 of 359 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I was booked into this hotel as part of a tour and did not like it at all. The carpet was not clean and the rest of the room just about acceptable. The room was badly equipped, I had to ask for a hair dryer. I had a single room and the bed was attached to the wall. Breakfast was a fight to get food on the cold plates. The female at the currency exchange was unnecessarily rude to one and all. The hotel was located next to the Metro and a supermarket and had a Macdonalds in the complex where the service was far more cheerful than in the hotel.

On checking in the computer system had failed and we could not access our rooms. One lady in our party did manage to get into her room - only to find a man in the shower!!

Room Tip: No ideas here. Ask for a room without a man already using it
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JoyceFf

Reviewed 19 September 2013

That year 2002, when we were in Moscow, in hotel Sputnik (my wife and me),we had took the
opportunity, to make visit to the gorgeous city of Sankt Petersburg. We had travelled with
the splendid train called "Pushkin" from Moscow to Saint Petersburg. It lasted about six hours
to get to the final destination,the beautiful city on the numerous canals, as in Venice, and the river Neva. The distance of about 707 km was in some kind unnotoceable in pleasant company
and good service of train waiters and waitresses, also the snack we had been served with, was very good, i.e. small loafs of tasty russian black bread(cherniashka Borodino), little packages of good russian butter and fruit jam,and who wanted, there were in adittion a fish "seledka", that is a sea fish like sardel from the North Seas,but prepared(cooked) in special way, i.e. marinated.
For beverage,we had a choice between the russian dark tea,beer and red wine and mineral water.
When we had gotten to the Saint Petersburg, that was Moscow Train Station on the Nevski Prospect number 85, where we went down from the train. It is also near to the Rebel Square.
With luggages we took the tram or the metro train, now I don't remember, and went to our Hotel
"Moscow" on Alexander Nevsky square number 2( the very beginning of noteworthy Nevsky Prospect).
I liked this hotel,although it, with his beds and chairs in our room reminded me
to some hospital or military establishment. Very long corridors that led us to our room, are a little bit inconvenient, but we fast got used to the last.
However, the position of hotel is very good, near the Metro Station "Alexander Nevsky" and in the proximity of glorious Nevsky Prospect, a quite broad street in russian manner, but not as in Moscow.
Just not to forget, a hotel is only one green area,by the Alexander Nevsky Square, aside from the river Neva and, on this very spot, a bridge of the same name of the man from Russian history,that was so significant for so great people.
Alexander Nevsky was the person, who for the first time, in so important manner, showed to Russian how to fight against the enemies and how to genuinely love the Homeland.
Mainly,there were the German and Swede teuton's knights that claimed the Russian vast territory
and who repeatedly attacked the same one.
And great Alexander Nevsky beated them all the time.
By the way the bridges in Peter, how the townsmen nicknamed the Sankt Petersburg, are the type of drawing bridges, that move,rotate or rise.
To talk about this really artery of this Great City, I mean of Nevsky Prospect, would have taken a lot of time, since, when You come upon here, You would just feel, how the history literally rolled by its pavements, walls of old houses,roofs of them, northern air streams from Baltic Sea and specially Gulf Of Finland!
Here We find the Kazansky Sobor with its massive, curved collonade, then little bit ahead the imposant Isaakiyevskaya Cathedral,before these two, there is a famous Gostinyy Dvor, the notable old store of different products, and so on, you just can't name them all, and going this way to the Gulf of Finland, You constantly cross the small bridges that span the multitude of canals, that again encircle the body of Town and make a water system altogether with the River Neva.
Just to name some of them : Anichkin Bridge, Green Bridge, then Fontanka River, Moyka river,Griboyedov Canal, etc.
And finally, near to the Great Neva, before it gets to his mouth in Gulf Of Finland, there are two
places, most famous of all above mentioned, i.e. the gigantic Dvortsovaya Square and in its centre Column Of Alexander, and of course the tremendous Ermitage Museum.
Again, if We think about Ermitage, it wouldn't be enough all life we have, to see all these pictures and statues and other artifacts collected during the centuries of long and powerful rule
of Romanoff Dinasty.
On the other hand, standing on the Dvortsovaya Square, the pictures of Great October Soviet Revolution float before Your eyes.
From the Admiralteyskaya Bank,the street that is beside of the river body of Neva, You can see across the Neva the spire of Admiralteyskaya Building, that is on the Vasileostrovskiy Island.
Here in the first years of XVIII century, another Great man from Russian History(1702), had made the foundations of the future city in the deposited layers of sand from river Neva.
That was the great Peter I, awesome man in every point of view.
And here on the banks of troubled waters of Neva, he, almost 315 years before, stood up in whole his grand stature, with long stretched arm to the West, pointing to the countries and people,with whom the Russia should be connected in trade, in commerce and other, in short
to open the long aslept bear,Russia to the more prospective people in the West.
That was all his merit, beside the battles,,which he led against the Swedes and Turcs, and
most difficult,that were against the interior enemies, the boyars, and after all, wasn't it enough?

Room Tip: With view to the park beside the Alexander Nevsky bridge.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit to Russia
We were booked into this hotel by our tour company Generally we were happy with the hotel
We were not aware of the layout & we were given the room furthest from reception - it is the longest walk in a hotel I've ever had The rooms on our side of the corridor had a pleasant river outlook
The room itself was a bit dated but was clean and well maintained
The hotel restaurants offered enough choices at the end of a day's travels The location at one end of Nevsky prospect was helped by the closeness of underground station
Overall good value

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank KWW51
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I gave this hotel 4 stars, though the hotel experience itself was more like 3 - 3,5, but when you take everything else into consideration, I think that it deserves the rating I gave it.

It is a Russia-style gigantic hotel in which you will get tired by just walking through the halls and corridors to the elevator or to your room. But, some exercise never harmed anyone! :)

One of the best things about the hotel is the location. It is located at the main street Nevski Prospekt, right next to the Alexander Nevsky Laura and the historic cemetery of notable persons from Russia history. Also, the metro station is just outside the hotel.

The rooms are rather small, but quite clean and reasonably comfortable. Breakfast was quite good, with a nice selection of food.

All in all, you will get a reasonable service on a good location, and for a few days that was quite satisfying for me. However, if you stay for a longer period, this might not be the case.

I could recommend this hotel to anyone staying up to a week in St. Petersburg, and anyone who plans to explore this magnificent city instead of staying at the hotel the whole time.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank ZeljkoVidic
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Hotel Moskva is a gigantic Soviet era monolith that looks like a stadium from the outside. The hotel is huge that it felt like I had to walk a kilometer to reach my room from the elevator. We were at the end of the hallway, so we had to pass by about 50 rooms! The hotel is decent. Don't expect modern interiors (even the tv is not yet flat), but it is clean and well maintained. The shower is strong and hot. The bed and linens are decent. It is also located in a very safe location at the end of Nevski Ave. (the Champ Elysee of St. Petersburg), although it is in the old side, and still a long walk to the new side where you have all the new stores and restaurants. There is a Metro just beside the hotel, so if you know how to take the metro,then it shouldn't be a problem, unfortunately, we didn't know how. There is a 24/7 big supermarket and McDonald's and other restaurants just beside the hotel. It also serves a good decent breakfast buffet with wide choice, although the breads could be better, and a fresh egg station would have been desired. If you are just looking for good value hotel in St. Petersberg, it is a good choice, but just expect the basics.

The only issue I have was that the wifi in the room was very weak that you can hardly connect. We had to go to the lobby to get wifi, which was very incovenient. They also seem to keep the amenities unless asked. They didn't give us slippers, hair dryers until we asked for it. I saw the cleaning ladies carrying bottled waters, but we never had any in the rooms. They say it was for paying, but then even our mini bar was empty. There was also no ironing room. The receptionists were also not very good at English nor extra helpful, so you don't seem to understand each other. The water in the hotel also has rusty color and taste, although they say this is St. Peterseberg-wide issue. We actually brushed our teeth with bottled water, as advised in blogs.

They also seem to have a nice penthouse bar called Beef Bar with nice view, and a Russian restaurant at the ground floor, although we tried other restuarants outside which were hit or miss. There is also a forex counter in the lobby to change into roubles ( rates are okay), but they don't change back to dollars. Good thing, there is a bank around the corner (facing the Nevski river) with better rates.

I would probably look next time for a hotel on the other side of Nevski ave. nearer the new side with all the restaurants and shops, and probably a branded hotel i.e. Best Western where service is better, and the amenties promised (i.e. wifi) is delivered. But having said that, it is still a decent hotel if the little extras are not important for you.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alex O
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I don't even remember how much I paid for this hotel. I arrived in St.Petersburg in the morning around 8AM. I went front desk to check in, I was tired from train trip from Moscow and I wanted lay in bed to take a little rest. When I was about check in, they told me there are no room I can get in and they told me to wait until 11AM!! I was shocked and absolutely no idea to spend time until that time.... Also, when I do the registration, they charged me a additional 100 ruble for registration fee! I didn't get such charge from Moscow so I got another shock. And my third shock was their poor breakfast buffet..... It wasn't so tasty.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Hotel Moscow is a big hotel on the city's main street Nevski Prospekt (though at the quieter southeastern end), right at the Alexandra Nevskogo metro station. Rooms on the street side have a good view over the river Neva. A supermarket and a shopping center also exist in the building.

Rooms are basic with old tv and fridge. They are however cleaned tediously daily (even the towels are changed daily, which seems old-fashioned these days). A big minus is the air conditioning which doesn't seem to work properly. Room temperatures seem to vary a lot and the air is really bad in the rooms. It smells of wet concrete in the morning even after good venting in the evening. Wifi is not included but works in the rooms.

Breakfast isn't bad. Lots of variety: salads, bread with cold cuts, cereal with yogurt and milk, standard warm dishes but no bacon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family