“Comfortable, clean and modern”
Review of Moscow Hotel

Moscow Hotel
Ranked #186 of 364 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Comfortable, clean, modern hotel that is conveniently located by the monastery at the end of Nevsky Prospect on the right side of the bridge so as not to get cut off by road at midnight. Work with the staff to help understand your language and learn to say "pajalusta" and "spasiba" in theirs then they'll be helpful and pleasant enough.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 July 2010

OK this hotel has had some pretty bad reviews here on tripadvisor which I feel is totally unfair. This is a 3 star hotel - you get what you pay for, I get the impression that some of the reviewers here have set their expectations too high - like what did you expect from a 3 star hotel in Russia?

The rooms were big, spacious, functional - air conditioning (much appreciated in the summer) and plenty of channels in English and other languages on the TV. I can't fault the room, they're excellent for the price we paid for it. The breakfast was very good as well - I don't know what some of the other reviewers here were expecting: lobster? Caviar? It's a hotel breakfast for crying out aloud, were you expecting champagne with your coffee? You want that kind of breakfast - fork out more money and go to a 5 star hotel.

There was a wedding party in the 8th floor restaurant on one of the nights I was there - but much to my surprise, I couldn't hear them from my room despite the fact that those Russians were very drunk and making a lot of noise in the restaurant. I slept very well there.

Excellent location, right next to a metro station and above a 24 hour Prisma supermarket (ice cream runs at midnight were great) - there's a mall there too but apart from the supermarket and MacDonald's, there's little of interest in the sleepy looking shops selling overpriced crap.

I would've given this hotel a much higher rating had it not been for the incident when we checked out. We checked out at noon and chose to leave 2 bags at the baggage room and were charged 50 rubles for it. That's approx US$1.65 / £1.05 / 1.27 Euros. Not a huge amount of money but when my tour guide found out that we had forked out 50 rubles, he made a complaint to the manager and we went with her to the baggage room. Now I speak some Russian and understood that she said something like, "how dare you do this again? What do we pay you for? You have a job here at the hotel, we pay you a salary to do this - you know you do not have the right to charge our guests for this!" And the guy in the baggage room claimed that I had given it to him as a tip - and that's when I surprised them by speaking in Russian and telling them that no, it wasn't a tip, you told me that would be what it costs to look after my bags. Anyway, I got my 50 rubles back - but it's not the amount of money - it's the lies, damn lies, poor attitude that leaves one feeling dejected and disappointed.

And for the reviewers who complained that the staff don't speak English - they do indeed speak English. But life would be a lot easier if you spoke some Russian. I'm British and I speak Russian - it's just a language damnit, anyone can learn it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GymnastAlex
Reviewed 14 July 2010

I travelled there with some friends, at first, I have to say that the personal was not the kind staff I was looking for, the desk personal was cold and unkind, it took us over half an hour to get registered and finally go to our rooms, and they didn't speak much English so if you don't speak any Russian, I advice you to learn some phrases. This was the only bad thing I have to say about the hotel. The rooms are clean and adequately adapted to guests. Also TV is offered only in Russian with no channels in other languages. The hotel is really big, more than 9 stories I think, and getting to some rooms from the reception would take 5 - 8 minutes. The restaurant offers a variety of Russian food, which is quite good and tasty, and sometimes Russian folk spectacles are offered also. If you really want to sleep and get relaxed, this is a very comfortable place, but if you want to walk around the city and enjoy its beautiful places, better look for a cheaper hostal...

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Many don't like Hotel Moskva in Sankt-Peterburg, because it is Soviet style, huge and a little with strange outlook. Still I like it: good restaurants and other services like post office and shops. (It is not easy to send a post card in Russia.) Room rates are expensive comparing quality, normal is 135 euros, when you can get 4 star hotel in Europe by the same fare. Still I like Moskva, perhaps 2-3 stars, near metro, Neva river, best cemetery in here with Chaikovsky grave and other important Russians.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2010

After reading the other reviews here, I expected the worst, but was happily surprised by our experience at Hotel Moscow. Yes, it's big, and it can take a bit of walking to get to and from your room, but it was no big deal. I found the service friendly, the beds were comfortable and the room was clean, I didn't need more than that. Everything worked, although the air conditioner wasn't great, and the room itself was more than adequate for our needs. I wouldn't recommend it to honeymooners or anything, as there was no romantic appeal whatsoever, but we enjoyed our stay anyway!

The amenities were very good, there were plenty of decent places to eat, I strongly recommend the small outside bistro/cafe attached to the hotel. The service was very good, although there was very little English spoken, ask for an English menu when you get there. The food was wonderful; Simple, delicious and not very expensive. Try the vodka appetizers - Good stuff! The gift shop in the hotel is quite overpriced, but the service was nice, although it's all the typical items you can get anywhere. We found the people working the front desk were also friendly and helpful, even though communication could be difficult at times. No big deal, I was in Russia and can't expect them to speak my language, and we made due. The only poor service we encountered came from the 24 hour grocery store beneath the hotel, the cashier was about as miserable, surly and hostile as she possibly could be, but that wasn't anything in the hotel's control.

The bars in the hotel were fun, and priced as expected. I thought the breakfast buffet was very well done, and I loved the food choices. Don't expect bacon and eggs, you aren't going to get it! This was more traditionally Russian of course, lots of fresh vegetables and salads, breads, pastries and cheese, there were pancakes and strangely, meatballs! It was a welcome change from my normal American breakfast items, and my Finnish partner enjoyed it as well. If you really need it, there's also a McDonald's attached to the hotel, but don't be afraid to eat Russian, contrary to popular belief, it was really, really good! We didn't have enough time to try out the hotel's other restaurants, sadly. Hopefully next time though, because I'd definitely stay at the Hotel Moscow again. It was a fantastic value for the money.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rockee721
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Moscow Hotel is conveniently and beautifully located by the Neva River and close to the Moscovisky Rly Stn. The view from the room is breath-taking. You can see the midnight opening of the bridge from the room itself. If you're fond of walking, you can stroll along the river to Armitage Museum. A long walk, let me warn you; but there can't be a better introduction to the ancient Petersburg and its fine architecture.
The breakfast spread is good; unfortunately I didn't have any other meal in the hotel. The rooms are spacious and value-for-money.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2010

The hotel is mosts of all big. Even when you have arrived on the right floor it may take you several minutes to reach your room. If you arrive at the breakfast and you have forgotten your breakfast card it will take you at least 5 yo 10 minutes to get it (depending on the time you loose at the elevators).
Breakfast room is very large and desptite of the fact that there are several buffets you have to wait in line in order to collect your food and drinks. Rooms are a bit out of date. Wireless internet available is but you have to buy a card at the receptions (and pay in cash) This information was not available in my room, so it took me 2 times up and down and about 15 minutes before i had a connection. The food in the Georgian restaurant and the Beerbar are of good quality..

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business