“Too big, too far away”

Park Inn by Radisson Pribaltiyskaya St Petersburg
Ranked #90 of 361 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Huge hotel and very far from the city center. You need transportation to get into the city, otherwise you are stuck in the hotel.
The restaurant resembles a canteen, the choice of food is quite poor.
They advertise themselves as a four star hotel, I wouldn't ive them three.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, find another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arie F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed 19 September 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Park Inn Pribaltiyskaya and I must tell all of you that their food was the worst I have ever eaten in a hotel. Their "mexican" buffet served on 9.3.11 was horrific. There is a new restaurant next door called "Vinagret" which is quite good. Avoid the hotel for meals if at all possible. The rooms were clean, but spartan.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean245
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My boyfriend was invited to speak at a conference being held at the hotel, so we took the opportunity to explore St Petersberg the weekend before and made Park Inn Pribaltiyskaya our base. As this was my only visit to Russia I don't have other Russian experiences to compare my visit with, but the general unfriendliness and lack of interest in being helpful from all the staff we encountered was quite remarkable.

Attitude of the staff aside, there were certainly some cultural differences I'm not used to from any other hotels in the rest of the world. We went for a drink at the hotel bar and requested to put drinks on our room tab. The barman asked to see our room key and then explained we didn't have the right level of credit clearance with our booking, and would have to go and pay cash onto our room card, effectively to pay in advance for anything we wished to charge. Bizarre.

Regards location, I know conference companies try to keep costs to a minimum so shouldn't have been surprised when we found ourselves staying in the equivalent of the Docklands in London - ie an expensive cab journey from the centre of town. The hotel is on the edge of Vasilevsky island, across the Bolshaya river from the main attractions and surrounded by brutalist concrete high rise living; an authentic glimpse of inner city russian living, certainly- though nothing nearby in the way of bars or restaurants at all.

On our first day we were tired, hungry and curious to see something of St Petersberg so against the advice of our guide book, ordered a cab from the hotel concierge to find some dinner. Guidebook suggestion was not to catch taxis from the obvious tourist places so hotels, stations, airport etc The suggestion is to walk down the street or round the corner and avoid getting really ripped off. Wish we’d heeded the advice. The concierge told us to wait 10-minutes, made a call, and eventually a shabby ordinary taxi pulled up and we got a 15-minute lift to the other side of the island. We had forgotten to check the price when we got in - and in my experience no taxis have meters so it's essential to agree the price before getting in - and on that first evening we were charged 1000 rubles, £20.50 for a journey we later took regularly for 200 rubles, or £4.

We changed rooms from our original booking to pay more for a view over the bay (don't bother - not much to see). The next day my boyfriend wanted to confirm with the front desk that they understood he was departing some days after me, at which point he was told they'd released his original dates and there were no spare beds during the week because they had a conference on (!). Many trips to the front desk ensued over the next 2 days and we kept being told there was no room at the Inn. We worked our way through several unhelpful managers but eventually we did find someone able to give assurance he would be able to stay. Boring amount of hassle for nothing.

Having been recommended the St Petersberg circus, I was surprised to find the Concierge had no idea what I was talking about when I showed it to him in my guide book and asked his advice on getting tickets. He had never heard of it.

On a very basic level, the room was clean although the decor there and in the main restaurant made me think more of Butlins rather than The Bolshoi. I did like the entrance lobby - beautiful onyx walls and chandeliers really set your expectations in the wrong place for what's to follow.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful although pretty tasteless and once again served by surley looking staff.

One bonus was discovering that a 'junior ballroom dancing' competition was going on upstairs in the conference room - amazing people watching!

On our last night, we decided to walk to the water behind our hotel at sunset. From our room we had watched a little hut on the horizon flashing with disco lights all through the night and decided to investigate. Having circumnavigated the huge pool complex that adjoins the hotel at the rear and crossed the big main road we walked across a large car park. When we reached the hut, it turned out to be some kind of drinking shack with very merry party goers, but the bar was closing and we left the area pretty quickly as the locals seemed very keen on the huge deserted car park for hand-break turns and skidding competitions. The shore edge of the bay turned out to be out of reach - there is a big river estuary running in the middle of the beach that cuts you off from walking there.

Russia - I’ll be back. But I won’t stay here.

Room Tip: Don't spend any extra for a view over the bay - we did and 90% of the view from every room is ta...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mimimakestracks
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This review is for the restaurant and bar. The restaurant looks upscale, but it had a really delicious fish fillet, roasted veggies, and rice entree that was well prepared with gourmet flair and not overpriced (450 rubles or $14 USD). The salads use quality ingredients, but you should ask for sauce on the side. The soups are huge, filling, and come with delicious fresh French and dark multigrain bread. The bar also offers a limited menu, but I had a nice latte there and a pizza (a bit greasy for my taste and not recommended). As a side note, this hotel was chosen for a conference we attended, because it was the only one in St. Petersburg with large enough conference rooms. However, we didn't actually stay here, just spent the majority of our days here. Although the hotel was difficult to travel to from Nevsky Prospect (the city center), they offer free shuttle bus service to and from the city center at set times. We used metro ($1 USD) + share taxi/marshrutka ($1 USD), or private taxi from the street (averaging $16 to $20 USD per trip to and from the city center). I don't recommend walking around the neighborhood, as the metro isn't in walking distance, and I was approached by three male tourists, one of whom got upset with me for ignoring his question about the metro, as I don't know Russian.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank passiflorabear
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Ok- I'll try to make this balanced. First this was a business trip to a conference held at the hotel.
Check-in was a little tiresome- not enough staff and being shunted between reception and concierge wasn't great considering they're 12ft apart behind the same desk.
Room- clean enough but very basic- no safe which I think is a must in any hotel and no tea or coffee making facilities
Breakfast- not too bad a choice of foods but if it's busy you'll struggle to get a table to eat at. Combine this with the fact that the more local guests like to chain-smoke in the public areas at all hours can make spending time in the lobby and bar areas quite unpleasant.
Food and drink here is on a par with aLondon 4 star hotel- the quality is not- 3 stars at best.

My advice- save yourself some cash and stay in town- the nearest metro is a very long walk away and I'm sure the over charging taxi drivers know this. The service here is mediocre and generally the place was like a tourist trap hotel in Spain circa 1980.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank bertieandbella
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This was the second dump Trafalgar put us in on our “Fist Class tour of Scandinavia”. Is not like there aren’t a ton of first class hotels in this city, for us to land in this hotel. It is far away from town, it has no amenities, the breakfast was very low quality and mobbed, it was hard to get to a table or the food. The hotel was understaffed so the staff was unhelpful and grumpy. The hotel needs a complete refurbish, I don’t know how can this hotel be a 4 star.

Room Tip: stay at another hotel close to town
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Starviagera
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Iam a frequent traveler ,who have seen many countries and hotels ,but have never seen such a hotel before ,unclean ,mal odour ,unfriendly staff , even unsafe ,it has every negative points for tourists to never choose there.believe my own and other tourists experiences about there

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family