“Useful location; onsite microbrewery a bonus.”

Park Inn By Radisson Pulkovskaya
Ranked #78 of 359 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Hotel location close to the airport is great, and the Moskovsky Prospekt Metro station is a stone's throw away, making for a cheap and quick trip into the City Centre. The bars and restaurant are always busy, and the microbrewery is very good. Maybe the dissatisfied reviewers are not quite up to date about what an expensive city St Petersburg is.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MrsDollyMixtures

Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed in this hotel as part of a package tour with a large group. If it had been priced like a 2-star hotel and if the company website did not contain one outright lie about the internet, and gross exaggerations about the quality of restaurants among other things, I might have been less dissatisfied. It was completely unacceptable for the price I paid and I was completely deceived by the information on the company website.

Previous to this visit I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Perm, Russia and that was truly a 4-star hotel at a fair price. The Park Inn is not even close to the service and quality I experienced in Perm.

Despite the fact that the hotel knew well in advance that we were coming, many of us found that our beds had not been changed from the previous guest. The accommodations which, on first glance, looked reasonably new were not even up to 2-star standards. The bed was smaller than a twin and had only a very small thin blanket encased in a sheet. There was no place to put a suitcase other than the floor. The legs of the very small table in the room were so loose it wobble at a touch and I was afraid it would fall apart at any moment. The bathroom floor which served as the shower floor (there is no tiled "shower" area, just a drain in the floor of the bathroom and a shower head in the wall at one end of the room) as well was slippery when wet and there was no mat provided nor any treatment to the floor to keep it from being slippery during a shower. After I slipped and hurt myself I used a hand towel as a mat to provide some friction.

The company website promises free, high speed internet access throughout the hotel. But in reality it cost 400 rubles (about $13US) per 24 hours and was only accessible in the main lobby, a 5-minute brisk walk, through a maze of hallways plus a trip outside and back in again, from my room. I had to stand in line at the registration desk to pay for the internet and since this hotel has over 800 rooms there was nearly always a line.

The company website mentions "3 highly acclaimed restaurants". I ate all three restaurants plus a fourth eatery there and none of them were worthy of acclamation. They were, at best, acceptable. The best of the 3 was the small japanese restaurant tucked into a corner down a hallway that I only knew about because it was along my circuitous route to my room. The staff were the most friendly of any we encountered in the hotel. The quality of the food was uneven at best. All three suffered from serious problems with service. One evening three of us went into the brewery-restaurant of which the hotel is extremely proud. We sat for 10 minutes, in full view of the hostess, being completely ignored. We approached hostess to get some menus and ask for service. We were then completely ignored for another 10 minutes and finally left. The restaurant was not full and we saw many servers. During my stay in St. Petersburg I ate in several restaurants elsewhere in the city and those I would gladly recommend to others. The hotel restaurants are only acceptable if you have an unlimited amount of time to wait for service and don't mind having your meal come out in reverse order and quite a bit of schedule from my dining companions as mine was in the Japanese restaurant.

There was no bell hop service to take our luggage to our rooms. And the route to our rooms was very convoluted. We had to walk through a portion of the hotel that we would otherwise have assumed was not open to us and exit and re-enter the building through doors that did not look like we should be going through them. I kept encountering other newly arrived guests part way along the route to our wing, lost and confused about how to proceed.

During our entire stay, the room they gave me the key for turned out to be listed under the name of another woman from my group. We did not discover this she checking out. She was leaving a day before I was and the mix up caused her trouble in checking out. I had our guide talk to the desk about my arrangements and the room mix up so that it would be all straightened out when I left later. But when I checked out the records were still wrong and I had trouble checking out as well—scary when you are in country that takes your passport away when you check in.
Foreigners are advised not to drink the water in Russia. At my hotel in Perm I found a complimentary bottle of water in my room every day. I received no such service at the Park Inn. If you wanted to drink anything you had to pay for it. A small bottle of water cost $10US

It is a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest metro station. You can take a cab to downtown, but traffic can be very heavy. If you don't speak Russian or have a fluent speaker with you to negotiate a cab ride can be expensive. Many of the cab drivers I met were honest and helpful but not all.

The best I can say for this property is that it is not the absolute worst place I have ever stayed. It is not quite Terrible, but close. I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone and if anyone asks I will actively discourage them from choosing this hotel. Further more, the Park Inn chain is part of the Radisson Hotel group and as I have also had bad experiences in Radisson Hotels I am resolved to avoid any hotel in the Radisson group in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Anne A
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed four nights at the Park Inn Pulkovskaya. The rooms are spacious, but the lack of elementary amenities accentuates the feeling of emptiness. The food of both breakfast and dinner is tasteless and not varied at all (same, little choice every day). Once the plates and trays are emtied, it takes an eternity for replenishment - if at all. The only positive aspect is the friendliness of the staff and their genuine will to help.
The hotel is located at the outskirts of St. Petersburg. It takes a 10 minutes walk to the closest metro station (Moskovskaya) and another 20 minutes ride to the city center (e.g. Nevsky Prospekt).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I'm not the fan of this hotel but it is very convenient for business if you need to be in Pulkovo airport or near it. I've noticed some changes since 2009 and it has become worse. Yes, May is a high season, so a lot of tourist buses were parked in front of the hotel entrance (big groups, mostly Spanish, I guess).

+++
- free use of computers and even printer in the lobby - very comfortable for business traveller;
- breakfast is in line with 4-star standard, good choice of meals.

---
- untidy room in need of some refurbishment;
- tired bathroom;
- expensive internet options in room;
- elevators are slow and not corresponding the room capacity of the hotel, it takes time to get to the first floor during breakfast hours;
- reception staff is not very responsive and friendly (probably due to constant queues and lots of people in front of the desk).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Pros:
- Near Airport
- Nearby supermarket just across the street

Cons:
- Very bad breakfast
- Hard bed, and no double bed for couple.
- Lobby and room very far far away
- Staff not really helpful and lots cant speak english

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2011

cannot expect too much from this type of hotel.
I appreciated the short connection from the airport (500 rubles by taxi) and the large dimensions that give you some alternatives in terms of bar and restaurants.
on the other side, it is in the middle of nowhere so that you are not downtown and need a taxi to go to nevsky prospekt or hermitage
you know what taxi means in Russia: big discussions and unfair service, with a lot of money to pay.
people are not particulary friendly, as typical in Russia.
Rooms are modern and decently clean
I will go again for business to stay close to the airport

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel during the white nights (end-May 2011). The hotel is an old one, main advantage is its proximity to the airport. Other than that;
- rooms are old, our window was impossible to close (after we hardly opened it), we had to sleep with the window open and with the noise of traffic, then called a technician who would close the window :) then of course we didn't dare to open it again :) the shower was old as well. NO HAIRDRYER IN THE ROOM of this 4-star hotel! We later requested one from the information desk, they said they would send one but nothing came. Even if had brought ours, the plug wouldn't fit..
- the breakfast was served in the other block of the hotel, which was quite a way and more important than that, hard to find again the next day (like a labyrinth!). the breakfast had poor variety of food and not so delicious.
- hotel information/check in desk is both was helpful and not depending on the person you came across.. the staff doesn't speak much english, some don't even speak any..

So I recommend you stay in some other hotel with the same price..

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple