Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel
Ranked #41 of 364 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed there on my business trip in lux rooms. Two staged room with all necessary things inside. Unforunately I missed normal light from the windows - in the center of the city streets are small and narrow. Very beautiful surroundings and placement in tht historical part of the city. Cathedral nearby is almost astonishing - Isakievsi. Bar and restaurant are on the normal level, the most nice thing in this hotel - its observation deck with restaurant and bar. Cool view.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank James S
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback concerning our location and facilities.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We spent a week in the Renaissance, and it made for a great vacation in St. Petersburg. The highlights, for us:
a.) The location. The hotel is just off the St. Isaac Square, and we even had a view of the dome from our fourth floor window. Lots of buses and trams stop nearby, allowing for easy transportation to further sites, and it's a short walk to the Hermitage. Which brings me to my next point:
b.) The access to the Hermitage. As one of the best Museums in Russia, the Hermitage has tourists lining up to wait for hours in order to get in. For people rooming at the Renaissance, there's a perk - you can buy your tickets at the tour group entrance and skip the "waiting outside for ages" step. We did this twice, and saved ourselves a lot of time.
c.) Breakfast. Delicious food, hot coffee, a great atmosphere, good service, and a convenient time frame - what more could you want? Ours was included in the room cost, which I would definitely recommend doing - it's pretty expensive, otherwise.
d.) The building itself and the service. The interior is stunning, designed to look almost like a small city. The terrace on the sixth floor offers a great view of the St. Isaac Cathedral and Square, perfect for photos or just relaxing. There's a souvenir shop next to the entrance, which was very convenient for last-minute gift shopping for friends. The staff were very helpful, both at reception and at breakfast. Everyone was willing to answer any questions we had, and, since we were flying out before breakfast, even gave us little packages of food to take with us on our last morning.
e.) The room. Ours - a fourth floor one with exterior windows - was nice and spacious, with comfy beds. There wasn't very much noise from the other guests, so the sleep quality was pretty good, and bathroom was very nice. My only problem was the weak internet connection, but the WiFi was still strong enough to use.
In summary - the Renaissance is a lovely hotel in the center of St. Petersburg. I would definitely recommend it to travelers who want to see the sights of the city and have a nice place to stay.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you very much for your detailed and warm feedback.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

I spent one week in this hotel while traveling on business (after staying at the Radisson Royal on my previous trip, and finding it a bit dirty and run-down). I had an OK experience, but I am not sure that I would return. The good and the bad:

Good:
- Great location close to lots of restaurants and within walking distance of many sights
- Very pleasant and helpful staff
- Clean, up-to-date room, serviced well every day
- Clean bathroom with good water-pressure
- Comfortable bed, fast AC, and no noise from other guests meant I slept well
- On a nice night, sitting on the rooftop terrace with a drink and a view of St. Isaac's is very pleasant
- Decent gym

Bad:
- Nickel-and-diming - when the price is almost $300 a night for a standard room, I don't expect to pay $30 a night for internet and $30 for breakfast.
- Also, even after paying for it, the internet often didn't work, or I would have to buy a connection for each of my devices
- Food overpriced and just OK
- Nighttime music in the lobby after 9pm on two nights. Not sure if it was for a wedding or something, but I should only have to hear music in my room if I WANT to hear music in my room. And it was loud.
- No natural light in courtyard facing rooms

All in all, an OK choice but try and get an inclusive rate. I have not yet decided whether I will return on my next visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ktbug418
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Thank you very much for your warm feedback regarding our service and guestroom. The 6th Floor Summer Terrace will remain open until mid-September, weather permitting.
Sorry for the poor internet experience! Please feel free to contact me on Patrick.naughter@marriott.com with additional details, so I can further investigate and correspond with you.
I do hope we have the opportunity to serve you again, and in the meantime I remain at your disposal.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

This hotel is a great location to some main sites in St. Petersburg. Almost everything we went to was in walking distance from here. The hotel was very busy when we were there (as it was the national geographic world championships that weekend) and we were upgraded into a king suite. It was very comfortable and spacious!!!! Alena (a staff member) was very helpful and informative. I'd say the only downside to this hotel is that there was no Internet in the rooms and breakfast is not included in the room rate. Other than that, I highly recommend it.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PukuNanaimo_Canada

Thank you for your feedback. We have wifi throughout the hotel, including complimentary connectivity in public areas. Please accept my apologies if we didn’t highlight this for you! We also offer a variety of accommodation packages through our website on www.marriott.com which include breakfast.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Great photos on the web site and very good location, BUT:
- room on top floor had no natural light as it had only window on dark internal patio/courtyard
- bathroom equipment basic and outdated
- food quality poor both for diner (terrace) and breakfast (ground floor room)
- terrace is very small and easily full
- ground floor breakfast room is dark and without any charm
- hall full of mediocre quality paintings that they are trying to sell to tourists
- personal is not friendly, except lady in souvenir shop at entrance. They look annoyed whenever I was asking for something, whether diner or taxi.
overall disappoiting when compared to usual Marriott standards

Room Tip: ask for external view, not view on (dark) patio/courtyard
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank francismh

Thank you for your comments. The artwork on display is a temporary exhibition by a renowned local artist whose name is Lisa Mikhailova. May I please ask you to get in touch with me directly via email at Patrick.naughter@marriott.com so I may enquire further regarding the breakfast quality and service?

Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed for three nights as part of city break. Couldn't believe how quiet and peaceful the room was. Rooms overlook reception area and inner courtyard rather than the street which probably helps the noise but made it a bit more difficult when you are trying to judge the weather for the day ! Very comfortable rooms with all amenities we would expect : wifi connection worked well for me during our entire stay. Good selection at breakfast but seemed to be an issue with the coffee machines each day. Staff very friendly and helpful. St Isaacs very close and easy to walk to Church on Spilled Blood, Hermitage etc etc.

Only disappointment was the terrace on the 6th floor was not open during our stay which was in May - will need to return to saviour a drink on the terrace overlooking St Isaacs

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fiona R

Thank you for your comments. We have made adjustments to our coffee machines based on your feedback. Sorry that our 6th Summer Terrace, which is weather dependent, opened later than the time of your stay. We expect the Summer Terrace to remain open until mid-September.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I am a frequent guest in this very good property (last time in late June 2013) and keep on coming here for variety of reasons. First and foremost - excellent service and staff, well managed hotel, staffed with well trained, true Marriott professionals -- helpful, knowledgeable, energetic and multilingual, always customer service oriented and personable.

Then of course - there is location - hotel is ideally located for the St Petersburg visitor; few steps from St. Isaac's; short walk from Hermitage, river, Nevsky, and all main city attractions.

Rooms: classical Marriott rooms, not fancy but spacious, functional and very clean, with smell of freshness and very comfortable beds and very well functioning air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter. After a good night sleep, you will enjoy a solid breakfast, with good variety of dishes. (Personally, I am an espresso addict and would suggest to F&B to change their choice of coffee in espresso machines from Jacobs (which is not really top choice for espresso lovers) to for example Lavazza or some other good espresso brand. That of course is a tiny detail, overall restaurant is very good.)

Connectivity in the rooms is very good; rooms have Ethernet connections and a separate box with inputs (including HDMI) for computer connectivity to the room's wide screen TV, which is great and it works very fast. I would not advise using Wi-Fi for serious business in the rooms from the other side, because it has tendency to work intermittently. The Wi-Fi connectivity in the common use areas was strong. TV channel selection is fine.

Gym is solid, although the equipment is somewhat dated - but again, this is something that only gym buffs (like me) will notice - gym serves its purpose very well. Summer terrace is something else - with breathtaking views over St. Isaac's - a great place to finish your day over a glass of wine.

All in all - highly recommend this hotel for both business and family travelers as well as tourists. Very good property with excellent services and management.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Zlatko Z

Thank you very much for your warm feedback Zlatko, and I look forward to seeing you again soon.