“Excellent location for sightseeing in St. Petersburg!”

Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel
Ranked #30 of 344 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent location for sightseeing in St. Petersburg!”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This hotel is in a great location! It is within walking distance to St. Isaacs, Nevsky Prospekt, The Church of our Savior on Spilled Blood, the Hermitage, the hydrofoil for Peterhof, the Maryiinsky Theater, and Peter and Paul Fortress - as well as other attractions, restaurants, and parks. The hotel was also an easy cab ride from the train station - if you are taking the train to/from Moscow.

The hotel lobby is large and nicely appointed - though a bit dark and dated. The staff at the Front Desk were very nice, very helpful, and quite accommodating. The concierge is located just as you enter the lobby - Anna was extremely helpful with both directions and suggestions for sightseeing that we had planned. She was lovely. The other concierge was not nearly as helpful and was a bit condescending when we had questions or asked for recommendations. Concierge fees for booking attractions was high - but using the concierge services was easy and reliable. The restaurant and bar are also located in the lobby. As a Platinum Marriott member, I was given coupons for a free breakfast and free drinks at the bar - as the hotel does not have an executive lounge. The breakfast was extensive and quite good - with both hot and cold meal options. At both the restaurant and bar, service was slow and we sometimes never did get what we'd ordered. However, the bar and restaurant staff was very, very nice, always smiling, and always helpful.

Our room was a small suite, located on the 8th floor - with a beautiful view of St. Isaacs. Furnishings, as in the lobby, were quite dated. The bathroom was more modern, very clean, with nice amenities. There was a terrible smell in the 8th floor hallway on the first night we were there - we were told it was a sewage issue. It was resolved by the next morning. Additionally, internet connectivity in this hotel was terrible. While I did have internet provided at no charge as a Platinum member, it was impossible to get and keep a connection - very, very frustrating as it made it challenging to even send an email.

As an FYI - the hotel was very quick and efficient in providing the Visa support information that we needed to obtain our Russia Visas. I simply emailed the hotel and they promptly returned my email providing the documents we needed to complete. Once I sent those back to them, they promptly sent us our invitation letters and vouchers Everything was accomplished by email and/or fax.

I do recommend the hotel - if they are able to resolve the internet issue, I would definitely stay again on future trip to St. Petersburg. The location and service are both excellent and made seeing St. Petersburg a convenient and delightful pleasure.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SeeingTheWordFromORD
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Thank you for sharing details of your experience with us. Rest assured in the knowledge that the external sewage issue was filly resolved during the time of your stay.

We recently introduced free Wifi in guest rooms, and worked with our internet partners to improve the signal throughout the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Best regards in the meantime,
Patrick Naughter, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Christiansted, St. Croix
Reviewed 8 September 2013

As noted in previous reviews:
- Great location close to lots of restaurants and within walking distance of many sights
- Very pleasant and helpful staff
- Clean, up-to-date room, serviced well every day
- Clean bathroom with good water-pressure
- Comfortable bed, fast AC, and no noise from other guests
Additionally, Anna, the concierge was outstanding: patient and helpful in every way. She recommended a restaurant nearby that provided one of the best dinners ever. The front desk staff was also excellent and made me feel welcomed as a valued guest. The hotel breakfast was not included in the quoted rate, and was a little pricey. The restaurant area was innocuous and a bit dark, except for the carpet. Dining staff was attentive and pleasant.

I had requested Anna send a car to the airport to pick me up after 30 hours of travel, and she was most apologetic about having to charge extra 50% for the car to wait an additional 1.5 hrs while I filled out lost luggage forms. The car and driver were most welcoming, and the expense was well worth it. There is no way I would have enjoyed dealing with a taxi on top of the jet lag.

As for the rates, I got a better rate than on booking.com when I booked on the hotel website and found a Senior discount. I also requested a quiet room and enjoyed the large room on the 5th floor. The elevators are a bit small and slow, but I've been in worse. Internet wi-fi service was free for the first 24 hours and worked just fine, once I figured out how to access it. There was a cable and some outdated instructions that combined with the jet lag to lead me astray.

I'd happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Compare prices on the hotel website with other hotel booking sites - look for senior and other disco...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for providing this detailed and warm feedback following your recent stay with us. Wifi is now free throughout the hotel.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We enjoyed the Renaissance very much. My husband is a Marriott Platinum Elite and the staff went out of their way to take care of us. I think we had the same room as the review before this --a bi-level with a living room and two bathrooms...big closets too! The breakfast was great- they'd even make you the omelette of your choice every morning which was inlcuded in the daily breakfast. They are right across from St. Isaac's Cathedral and very well-situated. There are plenty of very good restaurants within walking distance. Our only complaint is that with the G-20 Summit in town, the concierges tended to not have up-to-date info and steered us wrong several times. Fortunately, we were able to find the correct information on our own.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Sorry for the mix-up with our Navigator guidance; I will look into this today.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife and I stayed there on a quick vacation to St. Petersburg. She is a Marriott gold so we got free Internet, breakfast, and an upgraded room. The room was a living room on one floor and a loft on the next floor up. It was nice for relaxing, there was plenty of room, and having two closets and bathrooms was nice. The view was of the street in front of the hotel. The hotel staff was very accommodating and gave excellent advice on restaurants, buses, and attractions. They also have an arrangement with the Hermitage. You show your room key and can buy tickets and enter through a separate entrance (tour group ones I believe). When we went there were no lines for tickets or at the entrance and the museum was very (too) crowded that day.

We were in a hurry when we arrived because the palace at Peterhof was closed two of the three days we were in town and we wanted to get there by noon. The front desk staff was very accommodating and copied our passports, stored our luggage, gave us directions and we were out of the hotel in 10 minutes with good directions to the hydrofoils. Our room was ready when we returned and we just picked up the keys.

The breakfast was excellent when compared with most hotel breakfasts. There was an excellent selection that included sparkling wine, fresh squeezed orange juice, Jura coffee machines, fresh fruit, marinated trout, and lots of other food. The breakfast hours were also great for vacationers who might want to sleep in.

The location is good with access to St. Issac's square. There is a trolley-bus stop a block away with direct (no transfers) transportation to anything on Nevsky Prospekt including as far as Moskovsky railway station. It is also close enough to walk to most sights (1.9 km to Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood) and less to the Hermitage.

The concierge offered good ideas on restaurants. We were not disappointed with any of her recommendations.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide details of your experience with our service.

Dresden, Germany
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed there on my business trip in lux rooms. Two staged room with all necessary things inside. Unforunately I missed normal light from the windows - in the center of the city streets are small and narrow. Very beautiful surroundings and placement in tht historical part of the city. Cathedral nearby is almost astonishing - Isakievsi. Bar and restaurant are on the normal level, the most nice thing in this hotel - its observation deck with restaurant and bar. Cool view.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank James S
Thank you for your feedback concerning our location and facilities.

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We spent a week in the Renaissance, and it made for a great vacation in St. Petersburg. The highlights, for us:
a.) The location. The hotel is just off the St. Isaac Square, and we even had a view of the dome from our fourth floor window. Lots of buses and trams stop nearby, allowing for easy transportation to further sites, and it's a short walk to the Hermitage. Which brings me to my next point:
b.) The access to the Hermitage. As one of the best Museums in Russia, the Hermitage has tourists lining up to wait for hours in order to get in. For people rooming at the Renaissance, there's a perk - you can buy your tickets at the tour group entrance and skip the "waiting outside for ages" step. We did this twice, and saved ourselves a lot of time.
c.) Breakfast. Delicious food, hot coffee, a great atmosphere, good service, and a convenient time frame - what more could you want? Ours was included in the room cost, which I would definitely recommend doing - it's pretty expensive, otherwise.
d.) The building itself and the service. The interior is stunning, designed to look almost like a small city. The terrace on the sixth floor offers a great view of the St. Isaac Cathedral and Square, perfect for photos or just relaxing. There's a souvenir shop next to the entrance, which was very convenient for last-minute gift shopping for friends. The staff were very helpful, both at reception and at breakfast. Everyone was willing to answer any questions we had, and, since we were flying out before breakfast, even gave us little packages of food to take with us on our last morning.
e.) The room. Ours - a fourth floor one with exterior windows - was nice and spacious, with comfy beds. There wasn't very much noise from the other guests, so the sleep quality was pretty good, and bathroom was very nice. My only problem was the weak internet connection, but the WiFi was still strong enough to use.
In summary - the Renaissance is a lovely hotel in the center of St. Petersburg. I would definitely recommend it to travelers who want to see the sights of the city and have a nice place to stay.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed and warm feedback.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I spent one week in this hotel while traveling on business (after staying at the Radisson Royal on my previous trip, and finding it a bit dirty and run-down). I had an OK experience, but I am not sure that I would return. The good and the bad:

Good:
- Very pleasant and helpful staff
- Clean, up-to-date room, serviced well every day
- Clean bathroom with good water-pressure
- Comfortable bed, fast AC, and no noise from other guests meant I slept well
- On a nice night, sitting on the rooftop terrace with a drink and a view of St. Isaac's is very pleasant
- Decent gym

Bad:
- Nickel-and-diming - when the price is almost $300 a night for a standard room, I don't expect to pay $30 a night for internet and $30 for breakfast.
- Also, even after paying for it, the internet often didn't work, or I would have to buy a connection for each of my devices
- Food overpriced and just OK
- Nighttime music in the lobby after 9pm on two nights. Not sure if it was for a wedding or something, but I should only have to hear music in my room if I WANT to hear music in my room. And it was loud.
- No natural light in courtyard facing rooms

All in all, an OK choice but try and get an inclusive rate. I have not yet decided whether I will return on my next visit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ktbug418
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you very much for your warm feedback regarding our service and guestroom. The 6th Floor Summer Terrace will remain open until mid-September, weather permitting.
Sorry for the poor internet experience! Please feel free to contact me on Patrick.naughter@marriott.com with additional details, so I can further investigate and correspond with you.
We also offer a variety of accommodation packages through our website on www.marriott.com which include breakfast.
I do hope we have the opportunity to serve you again, and in the meantime I remain at your disposal.