Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel
3MostA Boutique Hotel(St. Petersburg)(Great Value!)
US$124
  • Restaurant
Radisson Sonya Hotel(St. Petersburg)
US$102
US$326
US$197
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Nouvelle Europe(St. Petersburg)(Great Value!)
US$36
US$24
  • Breakfast included
Alexander House(St. Petersburg)
US$133
US$592
US$578
FourSeasons.com
Nevskiy Hotel Aster(St. Petersburg)(Great Value!)
US$103
US$93
Repinskaya(Repino)
US$52
All reviewsisaac's cathedralexcellent locationglass of champagnewinter palacetop floorlate checkmajor sitesnevsky prospectwater pressurecomfortable roomsrooftop barcentral locationfour seasonsmin walkpalace squarenavigatorconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 November 2009

The rooms were large and clean. The staff was most helpful and friendly. The breakfast offered a great selection and was very tasty. A must hit is the roof top bar with amazing city views.

The Renaissance offered the perfect launching pad for exploring St. Petersburg. It was within easy walking distance of many of the must sees as well as the main shopping streets.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2009

The hotel was clean, quiet and situated centrally in st Petersburg. So far so good. The room was supposed to have a bath, but didn't and was poorly planned, so that it was difficult to sit on the toilet.

They tried to charge every little thing at horrendous prices. A bottle of water 10 USD, internet access in the room 33 USD per day etc. This left a bad taste in the mouth, since the hotel is not cheap to begin with.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I stayed here going on a sightseeing trip on my own in October 2009.
The hotel is very centrally located, only a few steps away from St Isaac's Cathedral or Isaakievskiy sobor (Исаакиевский собор).

The hotel looks great on the inside - there is a wide open atrium into which most rooms face, and a glass roof on top of this. There is a winding staircase leading up to a ballroom which was closed during my stay.

There is a bar and a dining room which also serves as breakfast room in the morning - the Canvas restaurant. During summer time, there is also a bar on the 6th floor with great views to the dome of St Isaac's Cathedral, but it is unfortunately closed during my stay.

My room - a standard one is spacious enough, has two windows which do not open (for safety reasons I am sure), and two huge twin beds with an assortment of pillows - guaranteed to satisfy even the most picky foreigner. The air conditioning works quite well - it is cold in the room. There's also a minibar, a safe, and a bottle of complimentary water which is exchanged every day.

The hotel features a very well equipped gym room/fitness centre, a souvenir shop and two bankomats as well as a serviced bank (Western Union branch).

The staff is courteous and service minded as far as I have noticed. One thing that surprised me more than a little however, was that photography inside the hotel was not allowed - as I found out the 'hard way' trying to take some pics and seeing the security guy running after me, seemingly ready to put me in chains (!) I checked with reception, and it seemed it had to be cleared with the manager-on-duty (who was not on duty). However I learned that I was 'ok' and that this rule existed because of comparison etc...I assume it has to do with competition and spying. If had been a spy, I wonder if I had been so obvious with my big DSLR. This incident made me lose my wish to take any further pics in the hotel anyway, and I will not post any here.

According to information provided, it is possibly to use the room key to cut into the line at the Hermitage (Ермитаж) but I didn't go for this option - instead waited in line (not too long, although somewhat tiring after half a day of sightseeing/walking already).

The easiest way to get here from the airport is of course to use a taxi, either one booked through the hotel (3000 руб - robbery in my eyes) or one waiting at the airport. Be prepared for high prices though. The other options are to use regular bus service to get to Moskovskaya (Московская) metro station - or even less hassle with suitcases and all, as I chose - marshrutka K-3 which took me straight to Sennaya Ploshchad (Сенная Площад). From here, it is around 1,5 km to walk to the hotel.

Getting around using the metro is simple enough, but there is little use for it unless you are planning to go to more remote destinations - I used it to get to Peterhof (Петергоф) in addition to another marshrutka - K-404. Speaking of metro - some of the stations really are underground palaces, for example Avtovo (Автово).

I would also recommend some basic knowledge of the Russian alphabet - it really helps with getting around both on foot and using various forms of transportation, as there are very few signs or names with the latin alphabet.

The hotel is quite good, has a good location and is fairly good value for money in a rather expensive city hotel-wise (6000 руб for weekend days), although I was off-season - during the 'white nights' and summertime, prices rise at least 50%.

Would I come back to the city? Yes, I'd like to, as I have far from seen everything! Would I stay at the same hotel? Not sure.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Tertitt69
Reviewed 25 October 2009

The hotel has good clean comfortable rooms of the known Renaissance standard. It has a great location away from the city noise but still close enough to the main attractions. Bus and trolleybus service is quick and efficient, so getting to most places is a breeze. The hotel service is not your typical 5-star, but this is a Russian thing :)
If booked in advance, the hotel could be good value (we booked our room for roughly 180USD/night)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Enginem
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Great location. From 6th floor bar, you can almost touch St Isaac Cathedral. The service was not so good.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo