“Neatly organized”

Ranked #11 of 1,786 things to do in St. Petersburg
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Countless masterpieces, ranging from 12th-century icons to 20th-century paintings, are displayed at this important art museum housed in the splendid and historically significant Mikhailovsky Palace.
Moscow, Russia
960 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 775 helpful votes
“Neatly organized”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Excellent collections, I loved the portraits and other depictions of Russian monarchs. The buildings itself are very interesting and beautiful, even though not as distracting as richly decorated Hermitage. Even though I would heartilly recommend even here to look both to the ground and ceiling.

Visited April 2013

112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Enjoyable, Interesting”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We went with a toddler in a baby carrier, who drew our attention to the ceilings of the main building of the museum (I believe there are 5 buildings). Some truly fun and interesting ceiling designs on the top floor. We enjoyed the primer on Russian art.

Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Beautiful collection and special exhibit”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We enjoyed this collection very much, especially the special exhibit in one of the wings. All russian art, but the exhibit comprised artists from the late 1800's to the present. The paintings were beautiful, and I have a new appreciation for Russian artists.

Visited April 2013
Ameliasburg, Canada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Enjoy the history and culture of Russian through visual art and craft”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

One of my greatest pleasures when travelling is visiting the local museums. While it is sometimes expedient to have a guide point out some of the highlights of a particular venue, I generally find it more satisfying to follow my interests and wander at my own pace. My problem with many of the museums/galleries we visited while in Russia was the lack of signage in English [or any other language, for that matter.] So I was happy to read that the Russian Museum in St. Petersburg provided a printed guide and wall signs in English. And what a wonderful collection of Russian art is displayed within the walls of the Mikhaylovsky Palace! The building alone is worth a visit with its grand staircases and statuary. The collection is well organized in chronological order with the earliest items dating back to the 12th century and ending with a large section devoted to folk art. This was the highlight of the museum for me – colourful toys of wood and porcelain, regional clothing, table ware, and of course, the originals of the lacquered spoons that so many people buy as souvenirs.

It was a perfect way to spend a rainy afternoon -- learning more about the history and culture of Russia and surprise – when we left the museum, the sun was shining and we took another walk along the canals.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank JLZ
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as interesting as the rest”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Went there for 3 hours that I can't really recall very well now that I've left - yes, there's some good stuff here but I was more impressed by other St Pete landmarks

Visited March 2013