“Tried hard for gluten-free, but missed the mark”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mops

Mops
Ranked #2,916 of 10,243 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Waitstaff
Australia
“Tried hard for gluten-free, but missed the mark”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We tried this place after the comments in Lonely Planet, but gave them a challenge as my wife needed gluten-free food. The staff were helpful, and the chef came out to discuss the requirement (based on a coeliac requirements card in Russian). It appeared that he had never come across this before, though, and to result was essentially base meat (chicken and beef) and some steamed vegetables, with no evidence of anything 'Thai' anywhere. Full marks for trying, but missed the mark, I'm afraid. Things were not helped by a wait of about 45 minutes for anything to appear, even though the restaurant appeared empty apart from ourselves.

• Visited June 2013

Buffalo, NY
“Great Thai food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

Mops is great Thai restaurant located in the center of the city. Very nice restaurant with great food. I visit St. Petersburg twice a year on business and always try to get one meal at Mops. Never been disappointed

Visited May 2013
dublin, ireland
“Very poor standard”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

Based on the reviews of this place & the fact it was a short walk from our hotel, we decided to check it out. I have eaten Thai food both in the native land & other cities in western Europe & this has to be the worst place I have ever eaten Thai cuisine.
My husband ordered the chicken satay for starters & the meat quality was v poor (worse was to come!!). My duck spring rolls were nice but luke warm.
The main courses were an even bigger disappointment; the beef panang came out stone cold & the chicken pad thai was disgraceful. The chicken was basically grizzle & inedible. I literally could not eat it which is a rare thing for me!
Surprisingly the waiter asked us if we enjoyed our food (which I didn't honestly expect as most places tend to avoid asking when it's clearly obvious the standard is poor!). We got a complimentary drink for the poor food we received but we honestly preferred to leave the place then stay any longer. Apart from the pleasant waiter that served us, the temperment & attitude of the other staff in the restaurant was very poor. The decor was cheap (they still had neon lit Christmas style trees on display!?) & ok we didn't check out the "posh" toilets that the other reviewers commented on, i honestly couldn't care less as the food & service are far more important to me when rating an restaurant.
Given the prices they charge, I would avoid this place!

Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg City, Russia
“Delicious Thai food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Delicious Thai food ,but the portions are a bit small and the price is high.The atmosphere is busy,there is live music and disco,cocteil bar and ground floor restaurant. Our waiter was working promptly,but was professional and polite at the same time.I would recommend this restaurant as a nice place to visit,but would also recommend to enjoy the portions slowly.

1 Thank Tatiana B
Federal Way, Washington
“Great Thai food in St Petersburg? Believe it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

We went here looking for a romantic dinner place and found it. But we also found a Thai fusion cuisine that would not be out of place in San Francisco or Seattle. Presentation of the food was excellent as you would expect but the taste, oh my! Everything was so good I felt I had to take small bites and eat slowly to savor every flavor. Our starter was a crab, Japanese mayo and Cantaloupe salad that was full of flavor with a different sensation in every bite. My main course was the excellent Pad Thai which once again was so good I had to eat very slowly. Probably the best dinner I had in my month-long European vacation!

• Visited July 2012