“not worth the money”

Cuisines: Thai, Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 March 2014

FWIW, I've been to Thailand many times and I like Thai food, a lot. But I won't go back to Mops, nor would I recommend it.

Ok, the location of Mops is not bad and the interior was nice (if not a little dark) and the bathroom was a work of art but the food was just not exciting.

I had a noodle dish and the sauce was just dull. I tried the tom ka kai as well, and frankly, I make better tom ka kai at home.

I tried the chicken curry and it tasted slightly off, there was a funky flavor that I didn't like. The dim sum (I know, dim sum is Chinese) tasted good but the 'wrapping' on every one fell off making a mess of the dumplings. I liked the tea. Service was okay but overall... not a good place to burn money, because that is how I felt afterwards: burnt.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I travel to st. Petersburg twice a year and usually make trip to this restaurant during each visit. The food is very good and I do not find any problems getting gluten free meals. The only down side is the food is somewhat more expensive than you would expect to pay in the US, but everything is more expensive in Russia. Restaurant is close to several of the larger hotels.

1  Thank niagarariverfatman
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We enjoyed excellent food perhaps the best outside of Thailand. Atmosphere was a little lacking in the very pleasantly decorated restaurant as only two tables were taken while we were there. Would recommend and wellworth a visit.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We tried this place after the comments in Lonely Planet, but gave them a challenge as my wife needed gluten-free food. The staff were helpful, and the chef came out to discuss the requirement (based on a coeliac requirements card in Russian). It appeared that he had never come across this before, though, and to result was essentially base meat (chicken and beef) and some steamed vegetables, with no evidence of anything 'Thai' anywhere. Full marks for trying, but missed the mark, I'm afraid. Things were not helped by a wait of about 45 minutes for anything to appear, even though the restaurant appeared empty apart from ourselves.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Mops is great Thai restaurant located in the center of the city. Very nice restaurant with great food. I visit St. Petersburg twice a year on business and always try to get one meal at Mops. Never been disappointed