“Better than I could imagine.”
Review of Romanov - CLOSED

Romanov
Cuisines: Sushi, Russian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Nevskiy
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

My friend and I visited the restaurant near 6 p.m. It was rather calm. The atmosphere is pleasant and the service is friendly. We got what we wanted. The dishes were rather tasty. However my friend noticed that her coffee wasn't hot but on whole we were satisfied with everything.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

We were disappointed that the outside eating area was all smoking (will Europe ever catch up with the US when it comes to non-smoking rules?). When we saw the music videos on the TV's and saw the fake fireplace we were figuring dinner would be a bust. But we got what we ordered and everything was delicious.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Other reviews almost discouraged me from trying this restaurant, but I went with a local who said it served exceptional food at a reasonable cost. I found some of the same problems mentioned by others here. I liked the music, but many people might find it a bit daunting. It is not escapable. The rooms are quite charming with brick walls and the serving staff were all quite nice. We ordered a crabmeat salad with avocados which was ok, but my friend noted that the avocados had pretty much disappeared since a change in chefs, the problem was the mushroom soup we ordered. It was so highly salted we could not eat it, and when we complained, the woman in charge tasted it in the kitchen and came back to day it was normal. When we challenged the charge on our bill, she used the fact that we had already handed over our credit card to claim she could not reverse what had happened. Clearly the customer is not always right in this restaurant. I would not return.

Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

This little bar/restaurant was such a surprise! Beautifully done inside (to the point we were taking ideas for our new place) and the staff were lovely. It is like (and might well be) a little underground brick storage station that's been completely revamped. Great food, good service, good for a drink or to eat. There were families but mostly just adults. Such a good find we went twice!

Reviewed 27 March 2013

One would expect something more special in a restaurant named Romanov in the center of St Petersburg, on the Nevsky prospect, opposite the Kazansky Cathedral. But it is located underground which is not a problem per se. The problem is the music - it's cheap, tasteless, loud and they wouldn't change it if you ask them to. Portions are small. You can easily find a much better place for the same kind of money in the near area.