“An Extremely Special Hotel Experience”

Four Seasons Hotel Lion Palace St. Petersburg
Ranked #3 of 358 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We visited Russia to see our daughter who is living outside Moscow. I have stayed in a number of very nice hotels around the world (e.g., Raffles in Singapore, Dolder Grand in Zurich), and the Lion Palace is among the best in which I have stayed. The location is unbeatable. Right next door to St. Isaac's Cathedral and about a block away from the Hermitage.
If you want local flavor, it is nearby, but this is a luxury hotel that meets the highest Western standards. The service was excellent. We arrived at 8:30am and they got us rooms right away. The breakfast was terrific. The pool and fitness center were being worked on when we arrived, so I can't speak to those.
By the way, they were really helpful with the visas and the concierges were knowledgable and genial.
I really have nothing bad to say. (OK, the gin martinis were expensive, but that's a Russian thing.)

Room Tip: The front of the hotel looks toward the Hermitage. Our room faced St. Isaac's Cathedral and tha...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank rugbyroadster

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This Four Seasons Hotel provides guests with the most wonderful experience. From the moment you walk in to the lobby to the moment you say good bye, the staff treats you with kindness and respect. Indeed, I was greeted with a smile and by name each time the concierge saw me in the lobby. Whatever I needed -- the hotel staff provided. The food was delicious, the spa was lovely, the rooms were comfortable and beautiful. The location of the hotel is perfect, too. Walking distance to the Hermitage, the Church of Spilled Blood, the Marinsky Theatre, and more. A first rate hotel providing a first rate experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank AllisonK64
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

In Moscow we have Ritz Carlton in Saint Petersburg Four Seasons) who is the winner?? I think Saint Petersburg! This hotel has not only highest quality and best service but the main deference compare with Ritz - it's the absolutely fantastic restaurants!!!
By the way, four seasons in Moscow open soon)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vladimir K
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great service; excellent location; hotel was outstanding. Everyone was trained to say "Yes" even before I asked a question. They provided me with a jacket and umbrella at no charge. Linens were high quality. Hotel is immaculate. It's not often that I'd give a hotel a 5-star rating. This one really deserves it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Richard P
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I have just spent 5 days at this fantastic property - everything is perfect, the food, the rooms, the service, the attention to details

I cannot recommend this hotel strongly enough - I just loved my stay here

It's not just the big things but the way they answer the phone, offer to help and the food was just amazing

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank PavanDhingra
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Nothing is perfect, but this hotel comes close. The staff really makes the difference. Of course you start with an exceptional property in a great location, but the staff really is attuned to quality service. Whether at the bar or in any of their restaurants, we were quickly, efficiently, and courteously attended to. The quality of the food in the restaurants (breakfasts in the Tea Room and dinner at Percorso) is all one could hope for. If we were disposed to pick nits we could -- a flubbed airport arrival meeting for example -- but on balance we had a great time. Dont go to this hotel expecting bargains as it is quite expensive,

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We booked a deluxe room for 3 nights recently, requesting one overlooking the courtyard. The view is fine, not as good as a room overlooking St Isaacs Cathedral but the most important thing the courtyard rooms are very quiet. The road around the cathedral is lined with buses, traffic and people so if you like your window open it would be noisey. Our room was lovely, decent size with a very comfortable bed, choice of feather or foam pillows, a fabulous bathroom with a seperate bath which had my name on it after a day of walking the lovely city of St Petersburg. The test of a good hotel is when something goes wrong in our case when asked our porter for a iron/ironing boardwe were told the hotel has none but that pressing of clothes was free. We got our clothes pressed only to received a bill. when we mentioned this to reception the bill was taken off our account no problems as they do have irons/ironing boards. Combination of the porter trying to be helpful and our very bad Russian I think. I would recommend this hotel it is such a fantastic place to stay.

The highlight (besides the staff) has to be the restaurant Percorso, in our eyes one of the best we tried in St Petersburg. Food very imaginative without being pouncy Michelin type and the service and decor amazing - just go! Also the Xander Bar what a wonderful place that is to drink vodka, the staff and decor again - amazing.

The only down-side is the breakfast, it seemed expensive and quiet but on our last day decided to try it. I ordered a continental breakfast and my husband ordered from the al la carte menu. I sat there, nothing happened so as usual in hotels I went up to the cold buffet table and picked my bread, fruit, etc. My husbands breakfast also arrived so we ate together. I then returned for a croissant at which time the waitress came over and said she would bring my continental breakfast to me, I told her I had already had it. she said that this was the buffet and that continental was delivered to your table, which she did and it sat there and went to waste. I mentioned what a waste of food this was at which stage she told me this is how it works and that it would be her secret that I had gone to the cold buffet! Why don't they tell you that when you order the breakfast, instead of leaving you to sit there and when nothing happens you presume this is how it works. Very odd, Four Seasons really needs to get this sorted.

A tip - if you are arriving into St Petersburg by train use 7000000 taxi company in st petersburg http://www.taxi7000000.ru/
We rang from the UK booked it with the very friendly and helpful operator that spoke ok English, she told us she would ring us on the day with our taxi number and gave us the price. We thought this will be amazing if it works. Ten minutes before our train arrived in SP our mobile rang and the lovely operator told us our taxi number - amazing. Lovely driver, good car, 10 minute drive Cost 350 roubles - hotel car 4200 roubles. Use this small local company they are very trustworthy. DO NOT catch just any taxi from the station, you will get ripped off.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple