“Good stay at adequate hotel”
Review of 5th Corner Hotel

5th Corner Hotel
Ranked #61 of 361 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We stayed in room 303 which did not look out on the roads but looked into a courtyard of some kind so was quiet. The beds were fairly comfortable. The blind only came down so far and the curtains were a bit thin so didn't block out all the light. The room had a safe and TV although there was no English speaking channel. The finish was not of a 4 star hotel e.g. the skirting boards ran out halfway along the corridor and the edges around the doorframes weren't finished off. However the room was clean and the reception staff were very helpful. Breakfast was OK i.e. not extensive but adequate. There was no room service but there was both a 24 hour cafe and supermarket straight outside. We did eat lunch in the restaurant Xren one day and it was very good value - soup, salad and a hot choice (moussaka or chicken kebab) for 340 Roubles. One tip to pass on - don't put the room cards next to a mobile phone as the phone interferes with the magnetic strip so they won't then work! It's approximately 30 minutes brisk walk away from the Hermitage.

Our guide recommended the Teplo restaurant (telephone number 570-1974) to us for dinner and we enjoyed it so much we went twice.

We booked our trip through Russian Gateway and unfortunately would not recommend them as they booked us onto different flights than promised i.e. not direct flights with British Airways. They only advised us of the change a week before travel and so there was nothing we could do but accept. The return flight was indirect with only a 30 minute connection time between the 2 flights which we questionned but were told had been used several times without problem. Needless to say the first flight was late and so we missed our connection. We ended up having to take 3 flights to get back from Russia to Heathrow.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pooCheshire_England
5CornerHotel_manager, Director of Sales at 5th Corner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2010

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at The 5th corner hotel. We are most grateful for your feedback however I am only too sorry that some stuff bothered you. We will necessarily consider your comments and remove their reason.

Reviewed 16 September 2010

This is a very good hotel with many qualities
1.great value for money
2. breakfast quality ,room was good too
3.staff are very helpful
4.decent location - 10-15 minutes walk to nevsky
5.good size rooms with safes and some with air con

rooms which are classed as superior overlook the busiest road in the world!
don,t plan on peace and quiet if you book one of these..24/7 traffic noise.
Better to have a normal room at back of hotel with next to no noise.....staff kindly assisted us in swopping rooms.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank chrisbryant32
5CornerHotel_manager, Director of Sales at 5th Corner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2010

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback after your recent stay with us. About traffic jam around our hotel - in a city near to us is roadwork which should will end next week. We look forward to welcoming you back to 5th corner hotel!

Reviewed 15 September 2010

Well, we stayed in two different room while here, and as a result the review varies dramatically. So first thing, if you go here, be sure what kind of room they offer!!

So, we got there around 2 hours after check in time and they say the room is not ready. And they say this like they don’t care and like we don’t deserve the room either. So I try to make them understand what a bad start this is. They don’t care.
We finally get a room and the first thing I see are some hair in the shower and on the toilet, …nice! The room is not only smelly and old, but it like more than 30 degrees Celsius and there is a little fan on the desk.
I had selected this hotel for the A/C among other reasons, so I got back to reception and they act like “whatever”. I was extremely angry but I was very polite and finally manage to get a promise of another room the next day.
Note! They even mention that all rooms in the hotel are better than mine, that I have the worse… and they say this with an expression in their faces like I am the idiot and it is my fault!

Next day after a lot of back and front and loosing a lot of time, we have to move our stuff ourselves 4 floors up the stairs with no elevator. The new room is bigger, newer, with strong A/C, nice bathroom, good spacious wardrobe, soga, coffe-table and desk.
The ceiling is low in some areas (is the tallest floor so the wall are inclined) and the curtains are very think and light coloured so there was a lot of light as soon and sun started going up.
Breakfast OK.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank birtual
Reviewed 10 September 2010

We chose this hotel for its fairly good rate (compared to many other places in St Petersburg), the room was clean, and the bathroom as well. 2 lamps were broken, and they were never repaired during our stay even though we mentioned it on the 1st night. Mind the stairs - no elevator - (high ceiling building), not too convenient if you have big luggage. Staff friendliness is nothing special to mention, OK. Breakfast is fine as well, enough variety. Location is convenient as well, 5 min walk to the closest Metro Stop Vladimirskaya, and good 15 min to the Nievsky Prospekt. I would recommend this hotel if you have a limited budget. Visa assistance upon payment of a fee.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank newton18
5CornerHotel_manager, Director of Sales at 5th Corner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2010

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 September 2010

My husband and I really enjoyed this hotel!
1. The area was perfect for us - a 5 minute walk to the metro station, OR a 15-or-so minute walk to the busy part of Nevsky Prospect. I also must add that there were tons of shoe stores in this area. I'm talking 20 or 30! I bought 2 pairs. so if you like shoes, this is a bonus! This area had an urban feel to it, so if you don't like "city" atmosphere, this may not be for you. It didn't feel very touristy, which was good for us.

2. As for the hotel, itself, it was really nice. I wouldn't say fancy, but very clean and nice and friendly staff. I think they spoke English, but I was trying to practice my Russian, so not sure. The breakfast was good, too. Hot stuff was hot, cold stuff was cold, and there was plenty for everyone. (Plenty of seats, too.)

If I had to report something that was less than perfect, there were 2 small things: 1 - the fulll size bed was actually 2 mattresses pushed together, as you sometimes find in Russia/Europe. 2 - There was a sewage smell that was occasionally noticeable in the restroom. We closed the bathroom door and didn't notice the smell in the room.

I was so happy we stayed at this hotel and I would definately stay there again :)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karoseyn
5CornerHotel_manager, Director of Sales at 5th Corner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2010

Dear Guest, Thank you for posting a review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to The 5th corner hotel again next time you are in town.
Best regards, Aleksey Karpov

Reviewed 2 September 2010

I would certainly stay at this hotel again. The beds were very comfortable. The rooms had high ceilings and big windows. The staff spoke great English and were very helpful. It seemed as if the hotel was geared towards attracting western guests. It is a little bit of a walk to get to the main tourist sites, but the metro is not too far away. The internet is a little shaky, but at least it's free. The complimentary buffet style breakfast in the restaurant downstairs is also very good.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank CBus2Prague

Dear Guest!
Thank you very much for such a positive review. It was our pleasure to have you staying with us and I so glad that you enjoyed the room facilities and your breakfast in our trendy restaurant Xren. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you are in St. Petersburg.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

I chose this hotel because of its competitive price among the hotels in St Petersburg. The hotel is located about 5 minutes from Vladimirskaya tube station and 15 minutes from Nevsky Prospekt.
The hotel provides visa support for a fee of 20 Euros.
The hotel itself is easy to find, however it shares the entrance with the restaurant.
I stayed in the room on the top floor, which was a bit inconvenient as the hotel has no lift after city sightseeing all day. The ceiling of the room was too low, I had to be careful while I was getting up from bed.
The rooms are very spacious with LCD TV, large bathroom with walk in shower ( no bath) and hairdryer. The hotel provides a free buffet breakfast included in the room price.
I would recommend it to anyone with limited budget who is looking for a hotel in good location.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends