“A beautiful, relaxing place which I liked a lot (even if I felt ripped off)”
Review of Timecafe Miracle

Timecafe Miracle
Ranked #584 of 10,373 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Price range: US$3 - US$7
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Admiralteisky
Description: The place where there are surprising dating, good tea, musical improvisation, deep conversations, all sorts of ingenious pieces, your best birthday, hug, landmark meeting, the constant movement, ordinary miracles etc.
London
“A beautiful, relaxing place which I liked a lot (even if I felt ripped off)”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We found the "Miracle Club" by chance, and two days later, we went there for a coffee. The club is a very cosy and relaxed, a wonderful place for a break - and even a nap. You can use the music instruments and board games, and so on. They make you really feel at home. It is an alternative place of sorts, not really a business - but more something like a community project. They offer all kinds of courses, and there are events (culture & music), mainly in the evening. I liked the place a lot. It "it touched a string inside me", if you know what I mean. It all reminded me very much of the the places I had spent my time when I was in my very early 20s, in the late 80s.

Anyway, my girlfriend and I had a cup of filter coffee each, which was served with a bowl of sweet & savoury snacks, and we took it easy on one of their comfy sofas. From the large menu on a board the wall (all in Russian, see my photos), we realised that they sell sandwiches for around 70 rubles (€1.40 / £1.15), so the drinks (which we did not decipher) must have been much cheaper.

In any case, I liked the place so much that I decided that whatever the bill would be (I expected a total of about 50 or 60 rubles), I would give them 500 rubles, as a donation for their community project. Well - when we went to pay, we were told that the 2 coffees were 300 rubles in total, i.e. the price of 5 or 6 of their sandwiches - and much more expensive than coffee in most (posh) places in town. It didn't matter to me. I had decided to give them 500 anyway, to support the project, and that's what I did. But I must admit that I felt a bit ripped off. Butof course I was just a tourist.

After I had left, I felt disappointed - maybe even mildly depressed for a couple of hours. The positive feeling that had developed inside me while I was in the Miracle Club had gone.

I hope their project will be/remain successful.

• Visited April 2014