“Excellent hotel”

Kempinski Hotel Moika 22
Ranked #19 of 358 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Excellent hotel, great level of service.
Very kind to help to organize private tour
Great breakfast,
Nice view from the restaurant but food is only good.
To see my pictures natureetphotographie.fr

Best

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My partner and I stayed here for four nights over New Year.

The location is wonderful - you can walk to Palace Square in two minutes - and the staff are all hugely friendly and helpful. The hotel was beautifully decorated for the holidays and we had great seasonal live music in the lobby on two occasions - carols when we arrived and a string ensemble with complimentary champagne on New Year's Eve.

Breakfast was included and was a very extensive buffet but only offered a hot choice on one morning. Dinner in the Bellevue Brasserie was spectacular - food good but the view and the atmosphere unbeatable.

The bar is very cosy but the service is very very slow. No big deal for us as we were in no rush but would be an issue for some people and it is expensive.

Would happily recommend this hotel and we will definitely come again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Simon_Zaglmann_GM, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Moika 22, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear AsyoulikeitBruton,

We were very pleased to have you among our guests celebrating New Year at Kempinski Hotel Moika 22.

Thank you very much for your warm review. We are glad to hear that you were amazed by the festive décor of the hotel, live performances in the lobby and the view at Bellevue Brasserie restaurant. The hotel team tried to do the best creating a special atmosphere for the guests during the New Year night and holidays.
Traditionally, our hot menu at breakfast is served a la carte, but since the New Year festivities continued almost all night, we offered our guests an extended breakfast on January 1st which was immediately followed by brunch, served at the same place.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in Kempinski Hotel Moika 22.

Simon Zaglmann

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

"AVERAGE" rating from me means that this is not bad hotel at all but this hotel completely miss the Kempinski standard of everything what this chain differes from the rest.
1. At check-in i was told that hotel is 100% full so no upgrade (GHA) - by the way i was speaking with doorman an it was 61% and on web page the bigger rooms were free (checked several times).
2. Drain stinked at bathroom.
3. Both Breakfasts were complete disaster. Dirty and unprepared tables, no butter at whole hotel(!!!), fresh juice produced by one trainee on home juicer caused queue (his supply was cca 20% of demand).
Waiting time for tea or porridge cca 40minutes.
This "show" was weird because althought breakfast looked like full of staff, their (from 90%) trainee status finally caused understaffed restaurant. Trainees have to take the Sapsan ride to Nikolskaya Moscow to learn how to do it.
The feeling "this can't be Kempinski" is in Moika 22 quite not rare :(
I have seen so many other disapointed guests during my stay from same reason. Breakfast like in 3* in Bulgary was not probably their vision too :)
To balance this faux pass, Bellevue restaurant on top floor is great and food amazing the same as their mulled vine.
Point is that some of Kempinski hotels are that brave so you need to visit them despite the fact you don't have to. Hansen, River Park, High Tatras...
Moika 22 needs better management, better staff and for sure better TVs ;)

Stayed: January 2014
Simon_Zaglmann_GM, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Moika 22, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Jiri R,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at the Kempinski Hotel Moika 22 and providing us with such constructive details regarding your recent stay. It was a great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed our top floor Bellevue Brasserie restaurant and our seasonal homemade mulled wine and that almost everything was to your satisfaction.

Let me start by expressing my regret with the upgrade opportunity of your room. We do value all our guests and especially appreciate all the GHA members in our hotel. Due to the high occupany of the hotel on the new year's night we were glad to present you a room with a beautfiul view overlooking the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ. It is sad that we did not learn about your frustration of this room during your stay.

I am also disappointed to learn about your experience during our breakfast at the Beau Rivage restaurant. I can assure you that your comments from the review are definitely addressed to all necessary departments as this is not the standard of service that we strive for. Feedback like yours is instrumental in the process of our enhancements, so we highly appreciate your insight and candid review regarding the areas for improvement.

We hope that you choose the Kempinski Hotel Moika 22 once again and will give us another chance to impress you on your next visit to St Petersburg!
Sincerely
Simon Zaglmann

Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is my first visit to the imposing and impressive city of St. Petersburg where I also had the privilage to stay at the well known Kempinsky Hotel Moika 22. The ambience of tradtional european luxury confronts you the moment you enter the hotel lobby made even more beautiful with all the Christmas decorations. As a couple we spent 5 enjoyable nights there and these were the things we loved..
1) Location which was just a stone's throw away from the Hermitage.
2) Friendly service from staff.Here special mention has to be given to the
Doormen who were the most charming and friendly I have ever encounted
on all my travels abroad.
3) Overall hotel atmosphere luxurious and comfortable.
4) The fabulous breakfast buffet , the best in my opinion, which is included in
price of the room. The choices of things to eat are just incredible.

Before writing my review I read what others had already written. Here are the things which we did not find good and which need improvement. I sincerely hope that Management will take my comments in a constructive manner.
1) Limited choice of in-house restaurants . There is the Bellevue Brasserie on the 9th floor for fine dinning which is "over the top" expensive (we had 1 dinner there). With those prices the hotel cannot expect a good turn-over in dinning covers.There is the Bar on the ground floor which offers a small menu of selected items. We eat there twice and can recommend the "Russian Club sandwhich" which is excellent. There is The Wine Cellar but that was completely empty and void of activity when we visted one evening with the intention of having a meal there.
2) Lack of wardrobe space.We had Delux room 325 . The room itself is large but strangely, cupboard space was designed only for 1 person. It was a struggle to find space to accomodate 2. An extra free standing cupboard is urgently needed in this room . There is adequate room space for this addition
3) Lack of guest-room beverage amenities. All 5 star hotels I have stayed in offer this facility which is a welcome treat when one wakes up to be able to enjoy the first cup of coffee or tea..
However a very nice touch I found at Hotel Kempinski Moika 22 is the offer of the free flow of the very good Ruinart Champagne with your breakfast....what a wonderful way to jump start the cirulation in preparation for the day's activities.
A useful tip on restaurants .... We discovered a charming Italian restaurant within the vicinity, 7 minutes walk from the hotel offering good Italian cuisine and famous thin crusted Pizzas at very reasonable prices. So if you want a change of dinning experience go to Da Albertone tel:+7(812)915-55-01 . Just ask concierge to make your reservation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lotus_kun
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I've stayed in hotels all around the world and the staff here is some of the most attentive and best trained I've seen they cover all the the little details to make your stay comfortable...it all starts with the staff.
The hotel it's self probably has the best location of all for access to the Hermitage and other venues in this area of the city.The interior was just being decorated for the holidays and was stunning.Breakfest consisted of pretty much whatever you wanted and more ,I recommend the beautiful dining room for eating over the breakfest area.
In the evening/ afternoon there's a tea area and a wine cellar for some relaxing chat, a long with comfortable seating in the lounge
On the 9th floor is a beatiful dining area with 360 degree views over the city and some outside seating

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Great location. on the expensive side, but definitely worth the money, great atmosphere, remarkable details (choose your own pillow), infinite breakfast. And the place to be is around the corner: Konushennaya square!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Remember this review is purely subjective. I have stayed at W, Astoria and Petro Palace, but I think Kempinski is topping all of them. The mentioned hotels are excellent choices. This hotel, as W and Astoria, is "crowded" with staff ready to serve you, clean for you, carry for you etc. This is the first hotel I have stayed in St. Petersburg where I felt the staff had a natural approach towards the guests and had a genuine desire of helping you out. Not in a mechanical way, if you know what I mean. (The eyes and the smile reveals you).
Within 5-10 minutes’ walk, you have the Hermitage, Isaac Cathedral, Church of spilled blood, Nevsky prospect and many good restaurants.
The prices in the restaurant, room service and mini bar is just outrageous. Yes, I know this is a top 5 star hotel, but so are Astoria and W also. I just comparing those hotels and the country I am coming from, where fine dining is quite expensive. Some items are 50% more expensive than at Astoria. It is of course a choice you do by yourselves, eating at restaurant or taking something from the minibar.
The breakfast. What can I say, if you do not find anything you like, then it is you that have a problem, not the hotel. Here is everything and much more :-)
Free WiFi throughout the hotel is nice. (This should be mandatory in every hotel)
My only complaint: Why isn’t it a electric kettle in the room, so I can have a cup of coffee or tea at morning or night. I am spending a lot of time on the hotel room and paying 4-500 RUB for a cup is not right.
Despite some negativity, Kempinski wins my heart.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business