“Quality European styled hotel in great location!”

Kempinski Hotel Moika 22
Ranked #14 of 336 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Quality European styled hotel in great location!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I visited St Petersburg with a business associate for 4 nights in September 2013. Being the first visit to this city in Russia, I did extensive research in order to choose what I was hoping would be the best hotel in the city, not necessarily just the most expensive one!

I made a short list of 4 properties and the Kempinski was on that list. Whilst it did not end up being my final choice, for reasons which I list below, I wanted to visit it while I was in the city.

Now knowing the city a little better after exploring it extensively, the Kempinski hotel is extremely well located for art lovers being so close to the Winter Palace/Hermitage Museum. I explore cities on foot so location for me is important and enjoy walking several miles a day to get to understand the landscape and the main attractions. Location is therefore a major plus factor and Kempinski scores highly in this regard.

Doing a walk through the hotel it is clearly evident that we are dealing with an up-market, elegant, European style property.

What made me move away from this hotel as a final choice and ending up staying at the Grand Hotel L'Europe was essentially the many comments on TripAdvisor regarding the onsite restaurants containing a lack of atmosphere and being chronically overpriced!

The price that the Kempinski was selling for at the time of my booking was very similar to the price I paid at the Grand Hotel L'Europe and I am very grateful to the many writers of TripAdvisor whose candid and honest reporting helped me make the correct choice out of the 4 properties I looked at being Grand hotel L'Europe, Kempinski Hotel Moika 22, Corinthia Hotel and Radisson Royal Hotel.

I did a walk through of all the properties I did not stay at during my stay in St Petersburg and this bares testimony to the accuracy of people's thought, feelings and opinions which are conveyed through the Trip Advisor forum.

The Kempinski would have been my second choice out of the 4 hotels but I am delighted to report that I made the best choice by staying at the Grand Hotel L'Europe whose restaurants and particularly the Lobby Bar enjoy a far superior atmosphere than what I was presented at the Kempinski Hotel.

Obviously all the hotels have their own strengths and unique characteristics but making what I think will only be a one time visit to this city I wanted to be in the property that would serve our interests the best, and onsite restaurants of a high quality and standard was an important value, and naturally one is happy to pay the market related prices without being extorted.

I agree with several readers that the prices I saw in menus in the Kempinski Hotel were in some respects off the charts, and in the wrong direction!

Comparing the bars for example between the Kempinski and the Grand Hotel L'Europe I think the Grand Hotel legendary Lobby Bar is far superior in so many ways, yet the prices are less expensive that at the Kempinski.

Perhaps management should read some recent TripAdvisors and reconsider the pricing policies!

As with most of these good hotels there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance but sometimes one does just not want to venture out. In our case my business colleague has certain walking difficulties so onsite restaurants are always first choice and the weather was not particularly agreeable on 3 of the 4 nights, rainy and cold, so just being able to go downstairs to select restaurants made the hotel we selected first prize.

Overall the Kempinski looks like a great property and one in which I would most certainly have stayed but was delighted to have used TripAdvisor to its fullest advantage which helped me make, in my opinion and for our purposes, the correct choice!

Thank you to all the writers of TripAdvisor who continue to offer reviews to help all of us globetrotters such successful adventures!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
8 Thank Harv and Les C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I have stayed in Kempinskis before and was really looking forward to our four nights in what seemed like a very nice hotel. I was sadly disappointed: the buidling and the decor are so-so - definitely not five-star, our room small, the staff indifferent and unattentive, to the extent that they almost made us miss our flight back: we asked the concierge to book us a taxi the night before, but they did not (no apologies) and by the time they found us another taxi in the morning we were running really late - we literally had to beg at the counter to be checked in. The ' luxury' spa is a joke: the relaxation area is the size of a small living room with two deckchairs and a bunch of workout equipment complete with a blaring television. Any extras are ridiculously overpriced: 40 euros for a Martell cognac and almonds from the minibar... We turned down off the heat on day one but still it was unpleaantly hot every night, and I could go on and on. I am frankly surprised Kempinski is not concerned with the damage this hotel does to the brand.
The one thing we really liked was breakfast. It comes at a price but was impeccable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank rozalia2014
Simon_Zaglmann_GM, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Moika 22, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Rozalia2014,

Thank you very much for such a constructive review.
I am sorry to hear about your disappointments during your stay. We will work through your comments improving the work of the hotel departments in order to enhance our service and overall performance. We value every comment that our guests leave on Tripadvisor, as our everyday goal is to keep the high Kempinksi brand standards. We received a lot of positive and appreciative comments from our guests about our dazzling décor during the festive season as well as the unique marine style décor of the rooms which reflect the spirit of the port city of St. Petersburg.

We hope to welcome you to our hotel once again during your next visit to St. Petersburg and to have a possibility to satisfy you with the traditional Kempinski hospitality.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We were checked in for 3 nights during the period leading up to New Years Eve. My expectations for this hotel were probably higher than usual, as I have had excellent experiences at other Kempinski hotels. For the positives - the concierge and check-in staff were exceptional and extremely helpful. The location is amazing and cannot be faulted. The room service; however, I felt was below Kempinski standard. Turn down service was at 11 pm every night - which seems a little late to me. My expectation would be 8pm or even 9 pm at the latest. The bins often remained un-emptied - even after the rooms had been cleaned for the day. The shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer were never replaced - and we ran out of all three. Overall, it was a nice enough hotel - but fell short of the normal Kempinski standard.

Room Tip: We were near the elevator, and it was really loud almost all night. Would suggest further away from...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MerM08
Dear MerM08,

We appreciate your comment and are pleased to hear that you liked our attentive and courteous staff at concierge and reception desks as well as the location of the Kempinski Hotel Moika 22.
I am disappointed to learn that you did not experience the right level of the room service that we traditionally provide for our guests. I have addressed your remarks to the head of our Housekeeping department to make needed actions and insure the high standards we strive for.
We hope that you will come back to Kempinski Hotel Moika 22 and have a chance to experience our improvements.

Le Mesnil le roi
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Excellent hotel, great level of service.
Very kind to help to organize private tour
Great breakfast,
Nice view from the restaurant but food is only good.
To see my pictures natureetphotographie.fr

Best

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Bruton
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My partner and I stayed here for four nights over New Year.

The location is wonderful - you can walk to Palace Square in two minutes - and the staff are all hugely friendly and helpful. The hotel was beautifully decorated for the holidays and we had great seasonal live music in the lobby on two occasions - carols when we arrived and a string ensemble with complimentary champagne on New Year's Eve.

Breakfast was included and was a very extensive buffet but only offered a hot choice on one morning. Dinner in the Bellevue Brasserie was spectacular - food good but the view and the atmosphere unbeatable.

The bar is very cosy but the service is very very slow. No big deal for us as we were in no rush but would be an issue for some people and it is expensive.

Would happily recommend this hotel and we will definitely come again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear AsyoulikeitBruton,

We were very pleased to have you among our guests celebrating New Year at Kempinski Hotel Moika 22.

Thank you very much for your warm review. We are glad to hear that you were amazed by the festive décor of the hotel, live performances in the lobby and the view at Bellevue Brasserie restaurant. The hotel team tried to do the best creating a special atmosphere for the guests during the New Year night and holidays.
Traditionally, our hot menu at breakfast is served a la carte, but since the New Year festivities continued almost all night, we offered our guests an extended breakfast on January 1st which was immediately followed by brunch, served at the same place.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in Kempinski Hotel Moika 22.

Napajedla, Czech Republic
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

"AVERAGE" rating from me means that this is not bad hotel at all but this hotel completely miss the Kempinski standard of everything what this chain differes from the rest.
1. At check-in i was told that hotel is 100% full so no upgrade (GHA) - by the way i was speaking with doorman an it was 61% and on web page the bigger rooms were free (checked several times).
2. Drain stinked at bathroom.
3. Both Breakfasts were complete disaster. Dirty and unprepared tables, no butter at whole hotel(!!!), fresh juice produced by one trainee on home juicer caused queue (his supply was cca 20% of demand).
Waiting time for tea or porridge cca 40minutes.
This "show" was weird because althought breakfast looked like full of staff, their (from 90%) trainee status finally caused understaffed restaurant. Trainees have to take the Sapsan ride to Nikolskaya Moscow to learn how to do it.
The feeling "this can't be Kempinski" is in Moika 22 quite not rare :(
I have seen so many other disapointed guests during my stay from same reason. Breakfast like in 3* in Bulgary was not probably their vision too :)
To balance this faux pass, Bellevue restaurant on top floor is great and food amazing the same as their mulled vine.
Point is that some of Kempinski hotels are that brave so you need to visit them despite the fact you don't have to. Hansen, River Park, High Tatras...
Moika 22 needs better management, better staff and for sure better TVs ;)

Stayed January 2014
Simon_Zaglmann_GM, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Moika 22, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Jiri R,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at the Kempinski Hotel Moika 22 and providing us with such constructive details regarding your recent stay. It was a great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed our top floor Bellevue Brasserie restaurant and our seasonal homemade mulled wine and that almost everything was to your satisfaction.

Let me start by expressing my regret with the upgrade opportunity of your room. We do value all our guests and especially appreciate all the GHA members in our hotel. Due to the high occupany of the hotel on the new year's night we were glad to present you a room with a beautfiul view overlooking the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ. It is sad that we did not learn about your frustration of this room during your stay.

I am also disappointed to learn about your experience during our breakfast at the Beau Rivage restaurant. I can assure you that your comments from the review are definitely addressed to all necessary departments as this is not the standard of service that we strive for. Feedback like yours is instrumental in the process of our enhancements, so we highly appreciate your insight and candid review regarding the areas for improvement.

We hope that you choose the Kempinski Hotel Moika 22 once again and will give us another chance to impress you on your next visit to St Petersburg!
Sincerely
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is my first visit to the imposing and impressive city of St. Petersburg where I also had the privilage to stay at the well known Kempinsky Hotel Moika 22. The ambience of tradtional european luxury confronts you the moment you enter the hotel lobby made even more beautiful with all the Christmas decorations. As a couple we spent 5 enjoyable nights there and these were the things we loved..
1) Location which was just a stone's throw away from the Hermitage.
2) Friendly service from staff.Here special mention has to be given to the
Doormen who were the most charming and friendly I have ever encounted
on all my travels abroad.
3) Overall hotel atmosphere luxurious and comfortable.
4) The fabulous breakfast buffet , the best in my opinion, which is included in
price of the room. The choices of things to eat are just incredible.

Before writing my review I read what others had already written. Here are the things which we did not find good and which need improvement. I sincerely hope that Management will take my comments in a constructive manner.
1) Limited choice of in-house restaurants . There is the Bellevue Brasserie on the 9th floor for fine dinning which is "over the top" expensive (we had 1 dinner there). With those prices the hotel cannot expect a good turn-over in dinning covers.There is the Bar on the ground floor which offers a small menu of selected items. We eat there twice and can recommend the "Russian Club sandwhich" which is excellent. There is The Wine Cellar but that was completely empty and void of activity when we visted one evening with the intention of having a meal there.
2) Lack of wardrobe space.We had Delux room 325 . The room itself is large but strangely, cupboard space was designed only for 1 person. It was a struggle to find space to accomodate 2. An extra free standing cupboard is urgently needed in this room . There is adequate room space for this addition
3) Lack of guest-room beverage amenities. All 5 star hotels I have stayed in offer this facility which is a welcome treat when one wakes up to be able to enjoy the first cup of coffee or tea..
However a very nice touch I found at Hotel Kempinski Moika 22 is the offer of the free flow of the very good Ruinart Champagne with your breakfast....what a wonderful way to jump start the cirulation in preparation for the day's activities.
A useful tip on restaurants .... We discovered a charming Italian restaurant within the vicinity, 7 minutes walk from the hotel offering good Italian cuisine and famous thin crusted Pizzas at very reasonable prices. So if you want a change of dinning experience go to Da Albertone tel:+7(812)915-55-01 . Just ask concierge to make your reservation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends