“An Excellent Choice”

Kempinski Hotel Moika 22
Ranked #18 of 359 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Our family, a luxury hotels connaisseurs, welcomed the new year 2009 in Moika 22. This has been another memorable experience for our teenagers and our couple, a luxury hotels connaisseurs (including Kempinki hotels elsewhere in the world). Food & entertainment at the roof restaurant, where you have the best view of St Pet's roofs (and of hermitahge), were extraordinary and fireworks were on until early in the morning. Moika 22's great location close to Hermitage and numerous other tourist sites, spacious rooms and elegant lobby/bar, hearty buffet breakfast (allowing to skip lunch:-)) and above all the warm but discreet presence of its personnel make it a strategic choice for a succesful stay in St Pet under any circumstances.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank leisureking

Reviewed 15 January 2009

We decided to spend New Year's Eve in St. Petersburg, a city I visited a couple of times before and I like a lot given its splendour and cultural heritage. To stay at the Moika Kempinski is the perfect starting point for all excursions. Ideally located at the Moika river, right across the Hermitage and close to the main shopping street (Nevsky Propekt) one can reach all major highlights of the city on foot. In comparison to other 5* hotels in the city, the Moika is more of an elegant, cosy retreat. Very advisable is an afternoon tea-time - delicious scones! - or an after-dinner drink in the cosy bar. The room we had was maritime inspired, absolutely clean/well maintained and generous in size. The bath room was as well spacious with a very convenient walk-in (power) shower. All staff was extremely helpful and we felt very well looked after throughout our stay. A 'lapsus'/misunderstanding (German guide instead of the required English one) was dealt with absolutely professionally - the concierge organised an English speaking replacement within 30 minutes and even the hotel management got promptly involved! If you feel like dining out, you can fully rely on the concierge's restaurant recommendations - we got to see new 'in' places such as the 'Gymnasium', which were great. New Year's Eve was the absolute highlight: we celebrated in the restaurant on top of the hotel (BelleVue) from where you have an outstanding 360 degree view over the city of St. Pete. The buffet was an artwork in its presentation and of great variety and high quality; the service extremely attentive the whole night. When the fireworks started you were convinced that there is no more romantic spot on the planet to welcome the New Year!

Stayed: January 2009
4  Thank Penelope1204
Reviewed 25 December 2008

I've stayed at the Kempinksi 7 times on business for periods between 2 days and 2 weeks, and for this purpose, it has served me well.

I can't comment on the price as I was staying there at a heavily discounted rate, but as I understand, it is not cheap, (especially during and around White Nights in June).

The service was confusing. This is the only way I can think to describe it. I agree with the majority of reviews on TA that service is not as should be expected at a 5 star hotel.

On arrival I also experienced almost every time a lack of interest from the porters. They look very nice, but do very little. Even getting to know them, and exchanging the odd pleasantry and conversation does not seem to do anything. Only once in the many times I have stayed have I had my bags taken to my room.

Check in is pretty standard, and without problems, and the concierge did manage to organise a nearby haircut for me, but after some persuasion. I did have to come back and ask him later if he had managed it, as I was not contacted, and still got no details of price etc. The haircut was nice though ;-)

The rooms are pretty small. You can request one with a bath but most just have showers. The soap holder falls off the wall and scares the life out of me every time though. Rooms are always very tidy and clean though and I get nicer welcome gift every time I come back, Wine, fruit and chocolates was my last one, and as soon as I had finished them, they were replaced with fresh ones!

Staying in the summer was on occassion quite uncomfortable, and on more than one occassion the air conditioning could not be turned down from a giddy 24 degrees. The only option is to open the window, but there's never a view if you do.

I would say this is a very good hotel for business travellers. Very nice to look at, you can stuff yourself silly at the breakfast buffet, and sometimes it's nice not to be fussed over when on business, but I would strongly reccomend avoiding this hotel for personal travel. It's just not worth the money. Our company only use the Kempinksy only because the rate is reduced to €135. Any higher and I would be asking questions.

I did once have a working girl knock on my door and wake me up though, which was interesting. Turns out she got the wrong room, but as with all Russian hotels, don't be surprised by this! And having now lived in St Pete for some time, there are a lot of things wrong with this hotel that unfortunately are the same all over Russia, with few exceptions.

Try the Grand Hotel Europe for a genuine 5 star stay, and avoid the Astoria. This is also overrated, and suffers from the same problems as the Kempinksy.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank Captain_Weasel
Reviewed 20 August 2008

Like having breakfast while being stared at by 3 hostesses?

Like having another "hostess" interrogate you about your
room number while you leave?

Like having to change rooms two or three times in order to get a non-smoking with a bathtub, but no view?

Then the Kempinski is for you!

• Stayed: August 2008
6  Thank outofthisworld
Reviewed 26 May 2008

What a wonderfull place!! Location is 5 star
5 minute walk to Hermitage, 10 minute walk to the Resurrection of Christ (Spilled Blood).Great restaurant / bar on the 9th floor with great view of the city. People are very friendly
easy to walk to shopping ,resturants,sight seeing.
Worth the money ! Expensive

• Stayed: May 2008
6  Thank Susan008
Reviewed 24 May 2008

That was our second second stay in Kempinski Moika, and we were glad to notify, that the hotel services has improved since the last time ( for 2 years). The check in was very smooth, the room clean, with a plenty of toilet amenities in bathroom. We got a half bottle of wine and fruit as a welcome present from the general manager, which was a nice gesture. The location of the hotel is superb, from the restaurant terrace upstairs you have a nice view. Yes, that's true, the proces in the bar and restaurant are really high, but that's typical for the Russia.

We have stayed almost in all luxury hotels in St.Petersburg(Astoria, Grand Hotel Europe, Grand Hotel Emerald etc), but kempinski Moika is good value. We have payed 288 EUR vor room and breakfast. Pretty good rate for St.Petersburg.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kobri
Reviewed 13 May 2008

I stayed with my husband at this hotel for two nights. We arrived at an auspicious and complicated time -- just before the May Day parade (8:30 AM) when the roads were all blocked off to the hotel in anticipation of the tanks passing through. Fortunately, our female driver managed to talk her way through the blockade. However, the street was lined with soldiers and when we pulled up to the hotel, we had to speedily unload our luggage. Two men looking like valets stood there without offering to help us while my husband and I unloaded our 5 pieces of luggage quickly and carried it to the front desk. Seems they're just ornaments for the hotel and serve no other purposed

The girl that checked us in was very sweet. We were ushered to our room by another young woman, and our luggage was then brought to us. Had the porters taken the time to actually put it on the luggage rack attached to the wall, they would have noticed that it wasn't functioning.

The room was small with a lousy view and a landing outside our window -- never a safe feature for guests. Considering how exquisite the city is from so many vantage points, we were very disappointed that this is all we could see from our room.

We left the hotel immediately because we had a guide waiting for us (something I strongly suggest for anyone visiting Russia).

The room cost Euro 319 without breakfast. Unfortunately, the only thing available was a buffet breakfast at Euro 39. Since I wanted only coffee and toast, this was a huge amount of money to spend. We asked the concierge to recommend a cafe nearby, where we went, only to find it closed. I should think that the concierge at a 5-star property should know which cafes are open at 9 AM and which are not. On our own a day later, we found several in the opposite direction that she never suggested on a more interesting street.

The soap stand in the shower repeatedly fell off the wall whenever one put anything on it, the bulb in the lamp on the night table was burnt out, which we removed and left on the table for the chambermaid to change -- where it remained when she cleaned the room the next day. Worse, she left the 4-foot window wide open -- the one overlooking the landing! -- when she cleaned the room and while we were out, making it possible for anyone to simply walk into our room and take what we had left there. Hardly the level of service and competence one would expect from this level hotel

We enjoyed the Relaxation Room that has a whirlpool and exercise equipment, tea, juice and cookies -- but no decent light to read if one really wants to relax there.

We had purchased something, and asked the concierge if he had any cord that we could use to wrap it up. Surely, something one would expect to find in a hotel of this kind. He wasn't sure, he said, so we told him that we would return in a few hours and he could let us know then. When we asked him later, he said that the hotel did not have any cord -- and in all the time that we were gone, he did nothing to secure any for us. Again, not what I would expect from a 5-star hotel.

When we checked out, we were hit with a 50% surcharge for having checked in at 8:30 AM. The front desk agent told us that the person checking us in should have told us this. I told her that if she had, I would have refused to pay it. Or, I would have had them leave my luggage in a secure area while we went out. We never used the room until the late afternoon. We did several rounds on this matter, but I simply refused to pay. And she finally removed the charge.

The hotel is well located and has an understated elegance. But I would consider other options if I were to stay again in St Petersburg (or Peter, as the locals call) .

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple