“Fabulous”

Kempinski Hotel Moika 22
Ranked #18 of 357 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 12 April 2009

It took me a while to write this review as I am a travel journalist and have to write about so many hotels around the World.

Unfortunately I did not stay at the Kempinski in St. Petersburg, but went there for a hotel tour and lunch. Needless to say, it was a mesmerizing experience. The location is everything a tourist could ask for. The hotel is centrally located one block from the Hermitage Museum. It can be seen from the rooftop. The rooftop, besides the rooms and the service, is the highlight of the the hotel. It has 360 degrees unrestricted view to the city and guests can see the Hermitage, the Church of Spill Blood and other sights. Amazing!

The food was excellent. I was able to try the real "Stroganoff' which was more than delicious. The staff was very attentive and corteous without being stuffy.

If you are not staying at the hotel, please reserve a table at the restaurant. Trust me, it will be a magical and memorable experience. Simply put, one of the finest hotels I have been to around the World.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank applepie1
There are newer reviews for Kempinski Hotel Moika 22

Reviewed 31 March 2009

I stayed in this hotel on a business trip for a couple of nights in Dec 07 and must say it is one of my favourite hotels. Its location right across Moika from Palace Square is perfect for sightseeing as well as business. Service in the hotel was great, everyone was super nice, friendly and helpful. There is a bar and a restaurant at the top of the hotel with great view of St. Pete.
My room was small, but very comfortable and cosy and had everything I needed. Bathroom was small but again, everything was really thought through and very convenient. The hotel itself seemed new (although I don’t think it is), had a great lobby and excellent service.
I must say that between city, location, service, and overall ambiance, it is probably my favourite place to stay in Russia.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank ivanov0704
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Although i live in St.Petersburg, i usually visit this hotel for tea (in the tea room) and the bar as well.
For me it has everything which is needed for 5 stars - style, elegance, luxury atmosphere, high level of service.
Located just in the centre of the city near the Winter Palace & main prospekt Nevsky, it's still quiet and perfect
for these who're tired of the city noise and want to feel comfortable and safe (guess the best place for VIP to hide).
Vitter bar is very unique - no background music in it, with a fireplace and a library - good place to talk, to think and
also to meet a partner for negotiations.
Tea room is very nice with flowers inside and delicious desserts during tea time, i was there several times and
once with my mum who liked it a lot for the comfortable atmopsphere. One more nice comment is about classical
music in the lobby which one can hear in the evenings. The impression is like you're moved back into the 18th century!
Would pay attention of those who wants to spend a romantic weekend. My boyfriend invited me to stay in the hotel
for st.valentine time and it was just awesome! Special treatments for both, french champagne in the room and great
dinner in Bellevue restaurant which has a wonderful city view from the roof - with flowers, candles and perfect food.
Best for all who values real luxury and top level service!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Julsinea
Reviewed 27 January 2009

This was the worst time I ever spent in Russia. I do visit this wonderfull country few times a year on business purposes. I've stayed in Kempinski in Moscow which was excellent. I've stayed in Superior room which was small like a wardrobe. Thank God I was alone, my wife would'nt even had a chance to put her dresses in.
Breakfast is like in a 3star when you have to order additionaly boiled eggs.
Price in a rooftop restaurant - which is very nice i should say - are extremely high and service is very poor.

There are very many other nice hotel to stay in this wonderful city, not Kempinski Moika 22!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank visitor11111
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Our family, a luxury hotels connaisseurs, welcomed the new year 2009 in Moika 22. This has been another memorable experience for our teenagers and our couple, a luxury hotels connaisseurs (including Kempinki hotels elsewhere in the world). Food & entertainment at the roof restaurant, where you have the best view of St Pet's roofs (and of hermitahge), were extraordinary and fireworks were on until early in the morning. Moika 22's great location close to Hermitage and numerous other tourist sites, spacious rooms and elegant lobby/bar, hearty buffet breakfast (allowing to skip lunch:-)) and above all the warm but discreet presence of its personnel make it a strategic choice for a succesful stay in St Pet under any circumstances.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank leisureking
Reviewed 15 January 2009

We decided to spend New Year's Eve in St. Petersburg, a city I visited a couple of times before and I like a lot given its splendour and cultural heritage. To stay at the Moika Kempinski is the perfect starting point for all excursions. Ideally located at the Moika river, right across the Hermitage and close to the main shopping street (Nevsky Propekt) one can reach all major highlights of the city on foot. In comparison to other 5* hotels in the city, the Moika is more of an elegant, cosy retreat. Very advisable is an afternoon tea-time - delicious scones! - or an after-dinner drink in the cosy bar. The room we had was maritime inspired, absolutely clean/well maintained and generous in size. The bath room was as well spacious with a very convenient walk-in (power) shower. All staff was extremely helpful and we felt very well looked after throughout our stay. A 'lapsus'/misunderstanding (German guide instead of the required English one) was dealt with absolutely professionally - the concierge organised an English speaking replacement within 30 minutes and even the hotel management got promptly involved! If you feel like dining out, you can fully rely on the concierge's restaurant recommendations - we got to see new 'in' places such as the 'Gymnasium', which were great. New Year's Eve was the absolute highlight: we celebrated in the restaurant on top of the hotel (BelleVue) from where you have an outstanding 360 degree view over the city of St. Pete. The buffet was an artwork in its presentation and of great variety and high quality; the service extremely attentive the whole night. When the fireworks started you were convinced that there is no more romantic spot on the planet to welcome the New Year!

Stayed: January 2009
4  Thank Penelope1204
Reviewed 25 December 2008

I've stayed at the Kempinksi 7 times on business for periods between 2 days and 2 weeks, and for this purpose, it has served me well.

I can't comment on the price as I was staying there at a heavily discounted rate, but as I understand, it is not cheap, (especially during and around White Nights in June).

The service was confusing. This is the only way I can think to describe it. I agree with the majority of reviews on TA that service is not as should be expected at a 5 star hotel.

On arrival I also experienced almost every time a lack of interest from the porters. They look very nice, but do very little. Even getting to know them, and exchanging the odd pleasantry and conversation does not seem to do anything. Only once in the many times I have stayed have I had my bags taken to my room.

Check in is pretty standard, and without problems, and the concierge did manage to organise a nearby haircut for me, but after some persuasion. I did have to come back and ask him later if he had managed it, as I was not contacted, and still got no details of price etc. The haircut was nice though ;-)

The rooms are pretty small. You can request one with a bath but most just have showers. The soap holder falls off the wall and scares the life out of me every time though. Rooms are always very tidy and clean though and I get nicer welcome gift every time I come back, Wine, fruit and chocolates was my last one, and as soon as I had finished them, they were replaced with fresh ones!

Staying in the summer was on occassion quite uncomfortable, and on more than one occassion the air conditioning could not be turned down from a giddy 24 degrees. The only option is to open the window, but there's never a view if you do.

I would say this is a very good hotel for business travellers. Very nice to look at, you can stuff yourself silly at the breakfast buffet, and sometimes it's nice not to be fussed over when on business, but I would strongly reccomend avoiding this hotel for personal travel. It's just not worth the money. Our company only use the Kempinksy only because the rate is reduced to €135. Any higher and I would be asking questions.

I did once have a working girl knock on my door and wake me up though, which was interesting. Turns out she got the wrong room, but as with all Russian hotels, don't be surprised by this! And having now lived in St Pete for some time, there are a lot of things wrong with this hotel that unfortunately are the same all over Russia, with few exceptions.

Try the Grand Hotel Europe for a genuine 5 star stay, and avoid the Astoria. This is also overrated, and suffers from the same problems as the Kempinksy.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business