“A place to be in St-Pet”

Kempinski Hotel Moika 22
Ranked #18 of 358 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We had a truly beautiful stay!

Great rooms, smiling staff, great restaurants.

It is true that they do not order taxis which sounds annoying first you hear about it. On the other hand their car service works very smooth, and drivers are nice.

Reception staff are so sweet and welcoming!
And in general people are very different from other hotels. More sincere I would say.

Their fitness center could be improved with acouple of more workout machines. But sauna and jacuzzi are very cute!

I could write a novel about this beautiful place but I would just say in one word that this is a truly lovely hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank travgent

Reviewed 1 October 2009

The 22 Moika is in a wonderful location for exploring St. Petersburg - just across the canal from Palace Square and the Hermitage, steps from Nevsky Prospect, you're right in the center of the action in a hotel that blends in wonderfully with the historical surroundings.

The hotel itself is quite nice - I had great service and a wonderful room. There is free wifi and if your rate includes breakfast, the breakfast buffet is wonderful. I felt that the service was really top notch and very attentive.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
6  Thank luvs_trvl_and_dogs
Reviewed 23 September 2009

Location, hotel, staff, room, service & food simply excellent.

• Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank xsen
Reviewed 16 September 2009

Really good. The hotel was spotless, the staff exceeding friendly and helpful. The breakfast - very important if you're going to spend your day walking through the streets, visiting the churches and cathedrals and then going round the Hermitage - was perfect. Really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank Chris75gb
Reviewed 15 September 2009

I stayed at this hotel as it was my company's choice because they got some nice deal for us.
Not that I was excited too much as I heard there are more historic hotels in this city, but I did not have much choice.
But we werу nicely surprised wih this lovely hotel just across from the Hermitage.

My room was not large but nicely decorated. And I could see the top of a beautiful church out of my window. I would prefer bathroom to have more space. The duvet was too hot, but on the second night I asked for a thinner one and it was brought up quite soon.

We visited the rooftop restaurant one night. Great food and good service, too.

We also visited a restaurant Tsar by the concierge's recommndation. It was really great! Good choice. We did not have much time, but those nice ladies persuaded us to take one of the public boats for sightseeing, and that trip was amazing!

I did not expect staff in Russia to be so friendly! We got several smiles each time we walked through the lobby. It seemed they really liked what they were doing!

I would come back to this hotel with my boyfriend for a romantic weekend. You do not expect an old historical hotel feeling from this one, but it has it's own charm.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
6  Thank furtune
Reviewed 2 September 2009

We went to St Petersburg (Russia, not Florida) for 4 nights for the British national holiday weekend in late August. Ideally, I would have liked to have stayed at the Hotel Grand Europe but at 11,500 rubles, or Euro 253, a night (excluding 18% tax) for the cheapest room, we opted for the relatively cheaper Kempinski. The Kempinski has a good international reputation as a solid 5-star hotel chain and so my expectations were high. At Euro 161 (or Euro 190 or 8,662 rubles including tax) per night, the cheaper option was still relatively expensive. In fact, St Petersburg is an expensive city and comparable to, if not exceeding, London prices.

The hotel is located beside the Moika canal (one of the narrower canals that feed into the very wide Neva River or wider main canals). The location could not have been better for access to the Hermitage which is literally across the road, about 3 minutes walk from the front door. It is also very close to the main shopping and dining street, being the Nevski Prospect, as well as close to numerous churches and museums/palaces such as the Church of Spilled Blood, Kazan Cathedral, Russian Museum, Marble Palace etc. The hydrofoil to Peterhof is also located about a 10 or 15 minute walk away behind the Hermitage. Unlike the Astoria and Angleterre hotels near St Isaac Cathedral, the Kempinski, Pushka Inn and Grand Hotel Europe have a superior location for tourists as they are closer to the Nevski Prospect and the many things to see in this beautiful city. We walked everywhere from this hotel and are glad we chose to stay in this part of town.
The taxi to the hotel from the airport cost £15 (US$25), compared to the approx US$110 quoted by the hotel for the hotel car. Go to one of the 2 taxi booths in the airport arrival hall and ask for prices to the hotel. They are roughly about the same but I remember that one company quoted $25 more, and I picked the cheaper one. The taxi was fine and very safe.

We were assisted with our luggage by the doorman and bellboys upon arrival at the hotel. Check-in was smooth, friendly and efficient. We were guided to our room by the friendly receptionist. Only the rooms facing the very front overlooking the canal or the very back overlooking a dumpy parking lot and derelict building site get natural daylight or an outside view. The rest of the rooms in the middle of the building open into one of two internal courtyards. Only rooms on the very highest floor (7th or 8th floor) will get any worthwhile view. Our room was on the 4th floor, overlooking the back of the hotel. Not a pretty outlook but no matter. However, we had requested a King bed, only to get a Queen bed. The receptionist insisted that this was a King bed. I have stayed at enough hotels to know the difference but decided not to argue the point. The rooms and bathrooms are clean but small. In fact, from the fire escape map on the back of the door, our room facing the back was slightly larger than the rooms facing the canal at the front. Even if they had knocked 2 rooms into one, the rooms would have just about been international standard sized. The room and hotel décor is very dated. The maritime/yacht theme throughout reminded me of a teenager's bedroom and not a luxurious 5-star hotel. A makeover is well and truly overdue! The bed with an old inner sprung mattress was very uncomfortable. The two of us would roll into the middle when we lay on the bed. We woke up each morning with aches and pains in our back as a result! The pillows are also too soft (i.e. flat) and we requested firmer orthopaedic pillows which were promptly delivered. There are nice bathrobes, slippers, fruit plate and bottled water in the room. Bathroom amenities are of a good quality, as was water pressure for showers etc. Guide books warned not to drink tap water so we used the bottle water for brushing teeth etc. Breakfast was included in our rate and was more than adequate. Order hot eggs/omelettes from the waiter rather than take the cold eggs on offer from the unheated food trays at the buffet. There is access to free internet from the hotel's one computer terminal by the reception desk. The hotel's "fitness centre" is a dump. Use it with care as you are likely to get a fungal infection in this small broom closet of a room in the attic. The mixed sex spa pool was bath-sized and smelt bad.

The concierge staff, although friendly and well meaning, were hopeless. Previous reviews are correct in this regard. After failing to convince us to eat at the very expensive Bellevue restaurant on the roof level at the hotel, other restaurant suggestions were simply unimaginative or generally expensive tourist traps. The best restaurants we ate at was Khutor Vodograi (Ukrainian food, pronounced "Hooter") and an Italian place in a delightful location in a park on a canal right behind the Spilled Blood church which we stumbled upon by accident (10 minutes walk from the hotel). We found Khutor by asking the excellent concierge at the Grand Hotel Europe for suggestions. St Pete's has excellent restaurants although most are expensive even by London standards. My advice is to ask a local resident for some recommendations of excellent restaurants patronised by local residents. All the good restaurants we went to were in the 2 or 3 blocks off the Nevski Prospect. For a good lunch place where you can people watch, try the 2nd floor café in the bookshop in the pretty Singer Building, across the road from the Kazan Cathedral on the Nevski Prospect.

On check-out, we found that we were being charged Euro 1.50 per stamp per postcard. This is an incredible rip-off considering that the standard stamp for a postcard is 20 rubles or so. We also asked the hotel to call a taxi to take us to the airport. The concierge said that she would not call a taxi as they "could not guarantee my safety" and suggested I take the hotel car for about US$120 or Euro 100. I insisted she call a cab and the concierge flatly refused despite me explaining that I was a guest in the hotel. So, I called the manager who again tried to convince me to use the hotel car for an outrageous sum. After speaking firmly and in a raised voice to the front office manager, and on the verge of asking for the general manager, she capitulated and dialled the taxi service but handed the phone to me to speak when the taxi company answered. The taxi to the airport was 700 rubles (less than US$25), the same as my ride into town.

The argument with the hotel over the taxi soured my whole stay at the hotel. I felt I was being nickel and dimed all the way with the hotel charging excessive prices for everything e.g. Euro 20 for an in-room movie, US$15 for a coke etc. At best, this is a 3 or 4 star hotel in need of staff training, and a makeover. I checked out the Pushka Inn hotel located 4 doors away on the same side of the street and it was far superior. For the same/cheaper price and for the location, go stay there. Many of the staff at the Kempinski are really nice people but work for a sub-standard hotel with clueless management. I really wanted to love this hotel, but was severely disappointed. The hotel is clean and I would only recommend this place if you can not find anywhere else decent for the price and location. This place does not attain 5-star Kempinski standards.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank GlobalVenturer
Reviewed 24 August 2009

The hotel is at an excellent location - right in the door step of the Hermitage. Walking there is just 1 - 2 min!!
Rooms: Not that large. But enough space. Some rooms looking inside, and have no view at all, though the inner courtyard that those rooms are facing have a skylight. It is clean, and the bathroom is spacious. But I think the rooms at Renaissance near St Issac is actually better.
Breakfast: Very nice. Good food, plenty of choices.
Money: They charge you in EURO at the hotel's OWN exchange rate. So, you will be disadvantaged if you are using credit cards there.
Service: Their concierge doesn't know anything. Whatever you ask them about the tourist attractions, they would say they had no idea, or they would ask you to join their own private tour - of course, at an inflated price. They wouldn't help you much about travelling arrangements as long as you are not using their private tour service. And, they don't even know how to re-confirm my Aeroflot tickets!!! Can you believe it? I used 5 mintues to explain to them how to re-confirm air tickets. The next day, they told me that they could not get through the phone of Aeroflot and then asked me to re-confirm myself!!! I called Aeroflot myself and it just took me 2 times for the line to get through!! Did they really try?
It is not all bad about their concierge. They recommend a good Georgian restaurant, and the food is good and good value!
Overall: It is not a bad hotel. But it is too pricey for what it offers.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends