Pio Bed & Breakfast on Kanal Griboedova
Ranked #123 of 864 St. Petersburg B&B and Inns
Arnhem, The Netherlands
“Oh no”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

4 nights in a so-called triple room, €115 a night. One bed (meant to be for a large adult) was a cot, feet sticking out 8 inches. On last day we were charged an extra 1500 Roubles for administration and threatened that if we did not pay we would not be let out of Russia.
5 trips in Russia, altogether 11 weeks, but never such poor value for money.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

This B&B is in a fantastic location. Although the metro is a few blocks away, we rarely had a need for the metro as most of the significant museums and churches are within an easy walk of the Pio Hotel. The hotel is located on a romantic canal street with plenty of cafes, bars, and markets only steps away from the front door.

The mini hotel was spotless. Our room was a nice size. The owner is a very kind lady who provided breakfast at a time we got to choose and she offered us a nice selection each morning. The only negative was some late night noise coming into our room from the outside. We had a room in the back that overlooked a courtyard and every little sound echoed. I'm not sure if the street would have been any quieter. I did notice that some of the rooms in the front had a balcony which would have been nice.

Warning. There is some graffiti on the street level walls and doors to the hotel. But once you get into the hotel itself, it is super nice and clean. There are no lifts, so you do climb four flights of stairs. Personally, we look for hotels with characteristics that we do not see back home.

The price of the hotel, location and breakfast cannot be beat. We recommend this hotel to all travelers who plan to spend a few days in St. Petersburg. Feel free to contact us for more info or look at our photos at azridge.com

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bluefive5
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2008

This place was fantastic, cheap, clean, comfy bed, very friendly people and a great location.

I would recommend it to anyone staying in St Petersburg

Stayed June 2008
fw12
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2008

When booking my room, communication by email was excellent. They sent a Taxi to Pulkovo for 600 rubles. You would normally pay twice as much if you took a taxi directly from the airport. They also handled my Visa invitation for 30 euros (a bit expensive, but ok).

Upon my arrival at the hotel, I rang #5 on the keypad, they let me in.

Room had one large bed, more than enough for two.
Hotel is located on the 3rd floor of an older building.
No lift, so you're stuck with dragging your heavy luggage up the stairs. Not a very pleasant experience after 21 hours in airplanes.

Room has a walk-in closet, refrigerator, small tv, table/chair, and a couch. There's also a balcony.

I walked to most places for sightseeing such as the Sabor, Hermitage, Kuntzkamera, etc. There's also a large outdoors market 5 minutes walk north of the hotel.

I was disappointed to find that in-room Internet access cost $5/hour. They however, provide free access on a laptop at the front desk.

The front desk area has a fridge, stove, TV, and soft drinks for sale. They provide free drinking water in a large dispenser bottle.

I needed info about ATM's. They didn't know. Even though there were many all across the street. The ATM's weren't easy to find because of poor signs. They are called Bankamat, and labelled in Russian. I had to ask around to the street to find one.

BTW, my debit card worked flawlessly at every ATM.
I paid for my room with a credit card, and took spending money out of ATMs in rubles.

The hotel has one bath with toilet, one shower, and one toilet for all six rooms. All are clean, new, and modern. If you don't mind using a bath that somebody else used earlier, you shouldn't have a problem. They also provide ironing board.

There's one person on staff 24/7. They were friendly and attentive to my needs. None of them speaks English, but I speak Russian, so it wasn't a problem. If you only speak English, they can let you speak to someone at the other Pio hotel.

Room rates includes typical continental breakfast.

Heating wasn't a problem. We had a few -5C temps, and the hotel was like a furnace. I had to turn off the heater most of the time. I don't know about air conditioning in summer.

Being a small hotel, it got noisy at times, sometimes late into the night.

My stay was pleasant, with the exception of the few noted problems.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — no in-room Internet access
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2007

I stayed at Pio this month with my mother and sister. It was in a great location, just a short walk to Nevsky Prospekt and about 15 minutes walk to the Hermitage. Unlike other reviewers I had realised t hat there was a door code (I booked with Otel.com and the code was on the voucher) so we didn't have. We found the rooms comfortable, clean and bright, and didn't find the shared bathrooms a problem at all. We also felt very safe and secure. Highly recommended!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Entrance
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank MhairiT
Nr London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2007

Very friendly. Lovely breakfasts! Entrance unprepossessing but rooms & facilities excellent. Very central location.

Only two downsides: firstly the management tried to get us to move to another Pio hotel for our last night; we refused, they sorted it.

Secondly my husband's wallet went missing from our room, presumably on the last day, & an attempt was made to use a credit card from it. The management said, via phone & email, that they had checked the room & found nothing left behind.

• Liked — cheap
  • Disliked — theft
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank phoenix_51
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2006

We were supposed to live in another branch of this B&B - on Mokhovaya street, but when arrived we were told that there were no rooms available, as the reservation for us is made for the B&B on Kanal Griboedova. We did have the printed reservation for Mokhovaya street, and were in constant contact with the reservation prior to our arrival. The point of us wanting to live on Mokhovaya though it is 10 minutes extra walk to the center than from K. Griboedova was the rooms there have a shower and a toilet. Whereas living on Kanal Griboedova you'll have to share 3 showers and toilets with 6 rooms of the hotel.

The overal experience is good as the place itself is really nice, the price is moderate and it is a step away from the heart of the city.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with family