“meeting with friends”
Review of Hotel Vera

Hotel Vera
Ranked #29 of 357 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 2 May 2013

In the last two years, I have stayed at Hotel Vera 2 times to meet with my friends from university.
We are not very young anymore, and greatly appreciated the care, warmth and comfort which Hotel Vera staff created for us.
We had no problems with cabs ordered by the desk staff to go to theaters and concerts, and back to the hotel. One however has to be aware that the cab fees need to be known and agreed upon in advance - the staff at the front desk will tell you what it should be. Breakfast is really tasty and they periodically offer delicious homemade items, like an apple strudel or Russian style pancakes. Espresso or cappuccino that you order at the bar is always good and priced very reasonably compared to prices elsewhere for inferior coffee.
in general Café Vera is good and everything we tried was quite tasty and reasonably priced. The beef medallions "medium rare" need special mention. We went o Paris after St. Petersburg and had dinner in a well known restaurant specializing in entrecotes: Café Vera medallions were better!!!
Hotel Vera is very nice and charming place, and if one plans to spend a few days on a trip with good friends there is hardly any place as homely and welcoming.
Sonia

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
hotelvera_mgmt, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2013

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to seeing you and your friends once again!

Thanks

There are newer reviews for Hotel Vera

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed at Hotel Vera for one month. The location is perfect, very close to Nevskyi Prospekt and comfortable rooms. It also has a fine restaurant. But what makes Hotel Vera so appealing is the staff. Whether or not you are fluent in Russian, I would say 80% of the staff is fluent in English. They are polite, charming and run the hotel in the manner of a five star hotel. I work in St. Petersburg often and have finally found the hotel that fits my budget as well as my needs. I am sure to stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are travelling on a budget, spring for the Optima Room. It's only a few dollars more tha...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments. We are happy that your enjoyed your stay at Hotel Vera and will make sure to assign you a centrally located room during your next stay.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Nice boutique hotel in a quite neighborhood. Convenient public transportation to everything, although during the heavy traffic hours, 4 pm to 7 pm, it may be faster to walk – the desk staff tried to be helpful giving the best routes but I noticed that they were mostly new and in training, so once I had to request administrator’s help.
Café Vera is a very pleasant surprise: St. Petersburg restaurants are generally overpriced and dull. Café Vera was one of a few which, in addition to regular fare, has had an extensive vegetarian menu, and all at more than reasonable price, especially prix fixe dinners. This is my third stay at the Hotel V. and I will definitely recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank chernomor

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. It just so happened that around the time of your stay, there were many new staff members that starting working for the hotel. It usually takes new staff about two months to learn the public transportation routes and location details. We hope that next time, each and every staff member will be able to direct you.

Thanks

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Located in close proximity from the railway station, just 15 mins walk.
It's a nice small hotel that offers friendly welcome and nice tidy rooms for a small price in the center of St. Petersburg.

Rooms aren't lavish but clean and have all the basics you might need.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Vera F, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and will recommend our hotel to other guests.

Reservation Manager

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Great Hotel with very friendly and helpful staff...........I was looking out for a Teddy Bear and when i returned at the end of the day they had found somewhere close to the station that had them.

Stayed in the basic economy room which was fine......someone on here mentioned the drain vents in the bathrooms.....ok was noticeable on entering from time to time but understand they have the matter in hand.

Very good breakfast buffet which stays open until 11-00 am. Trolleybusses frequent and cheap and are around 100 metres from hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed here for 10 nights as I have stayed at the hotel before and had no problems.
All the staff I met all spoke good English and were very helpful. They made me feel very welcome here and gave me information on how to get to Peter and Paul's Fortress.

On my first night here, I got chocolate on the bed sheets and 7 days later the same sheets were still on the bed despite the cleaners visiting my room every day.
As I am British I did not want to make a fuss but on the seventh night, I walked into my room and the cleaners had beento my room and moved the rubbish from my dustbin and left it in the middle of the floor in my room upon my return and still had NOT changed the bed sheets,
This was now to much, I went down to reception and asked to speak to the manager, I asked her how often do they change the sheets, she stated every 3-4 days, I explained that this had not been done therefore I have still got the same bed sheets on since the day I arrived at the hotel, then I gave her the rubbish which was left in the middle of my room.
She lOOked shocked and apologised to me, gave me another room as it was late at night and there was no cleaners working that night. She dealt with the situation well and I would have stayed here again but now this as happened I will not be returning here which is a shame as I liked all the girls on reception and at the bar as they are always very friendly.
The location is ok, abit far from Hermitage which is along walk away but I knew this as I have stayed here before and it's not a problem because there are cheap trolley buses which will take you wherever you want to go, the girls on reception will be happy to help you get transport and info regarding this.
If I had not had this experience with the cleaners I would have given the hotel higher rating but they let me down on that aspect.
•Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
John, Great Britain

Response from Hotel Vera:------

I read your review of Hotel Vera on Tripadvisor, and am rather upset and frankly surprised with your comments about cleaning problems in your room. Cleaning has been our strong point and what you describe is absolutely mind boggling.

I have investigated this matter with my staff and requested cleaning reports for the days from 10.02.13 to 15.02.13, and talked to Administrators Natalya and Elena whom you may remember.

Here is what I have learned:
10.02 - the room was cleaned, towels replaced
11.02 - the room was cleaned, towels replaced
12.02 - the "do not disturb" sign was posted all day; the towels and garbage were passed to the cleaning staff for replacement and disposal - this was the scheduled day for bed linen replacement
13.02 - Yulia once again refused to let the cleaners enter to clean the room, and again gave the cleaners the garbage and towels for replacement and disposal; bed linens were not replaced since our staff was not given access to the room
14.02 - the room was cleaned, but the linen replacement was scheduled for the 6th day, on the 15th; when scheduling linen replacement, the administrator was not aware that it had not been replaced on the 12th or 13th as it should have been, and we are truly at fault for not accounting for such irregularities in our system
15.02 - Yulia did not let the staff in, kept saying, in Russian ("come later, later"). Here again was our fault in not checking extra time after 18:00 and before the end of the shift at 20:00. Thus the garbage stayed in and the linen was not replaced.
I realize that we have failed you and I am sorry that you do not plan to patronize us in the future.
But I also do believe that the cleaners' failure is not as dramatic as you have described it in your Tripadviser review.
I do thank you for bringing this story to our attention, and we will address and correct the failure of management in scheduling cleaning tasks with due attention, as we discovered in course of this little investigation.
In fact, the responsible persons have been reprimanded.

If you ever change your mind and visit us again, we will be happy to see you in Hotel Vera.

Leon ,Hotel Vera owner

Reply to Hotel Vera:---

Dear Sir,

I do not take lightly what you have said in my response to me, Yulia told the cleaning staff twice to come back later , which they did, as the bed had been straightened but the sheets had never been replaced despite your cleaning staff returning to the rooms after being told to return later! They returned later as requested but never replace bed sheets!

I was at you hotel alone from 9th Feb 2013 - 13th Feb 2013. Yulia did not arrive until 12:22 on 13 Feb 2013, and chocolate got on the sheets on 9th Feb but were never replaced, I do not appreciate this response, as you are clearly making up excuses for what happened, including that I have exaggerated my information given on Trip advisor!

I suggest you get all the facts right before contacting myself with you responses to me as I am now very angry to receive this reply from you.

It is a fact that when we returned to my room, the cleaners had been to the room and moved the rubbish to the middle of the room upon our return to the hotel.
Therefore, the cleaners had returned to my room, changed the towels, left the sheets and moved the trash from the bin in the corner of the room, left this in the middle of the room and did not take it with them!
I know the cleaners had come back to the room because they had changed the towels and the rubbish was not in the dust bin anymore, It was in the centre of the room, This is why I went to see the Manager of your hotel. FACT!

Reply From Hotel Vera : ----

I am sorry you feel that way, but Hotel Vera has been operating for 7 years without a single complaint about our cleaning. I will undoubtedly let the cleaning staff know of the details you have described in your letter. I do not doubt your statements, and as I have indicated earlier in my letter, I do fault the desk staff for poor supervision of the cleaning staff; I will also instruct management to break up the cleaning team that works these shifts so that we can do a better job in the future.

Vera

Conclusion--- This hotel admit some faults but then try and put the blame onto the customer by saying my review is_Quote from Hotel Vera
" I also do believe that the cleaners' failure is not as dramatic as you have described it in your Tripadviser review."
All the above is a true statement of the poor treatment by this Hotel who like to blame its customers and make out they did not return to clean the room as they were told to "come back later" ! which the cleaners did and still did not clean the room.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 007JPN
hotelvera_mgmt, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Dear Sir,

We did take your complaint seriously, as we do all complaints, and investigated this matter. After reading your review, we did take what we believe was the appropriate action. I am indeed sorry that your were disappointed.

Vera

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Walking distance from Moscow Train Station, theater box office the same block, 2 banks nearby, trolley #11 takes you along Nevsky Prospect to Vasilievsky Island. Both hallways and rooms are decorated with great taste and care in subdued St. Petersburg Art Nouveau style. Room was clean, linens immaculate, sufficiently quiet given that it is above an important street. Wi-Fi available in the room and reliable. Reasonable breakfast with hot omelette. Very nice restaurant open till 11pm. We came back after theater to pick our luggage at 10:45pm, our train back to Moscow was at 11:55pm. They fed us expediently, shrimp salad and very tasty fish soup and called a taxi to take us to the train. I was born in St. Petersburg and know the area intimately. Just the right place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple