“Another enjoyable stay at Hotel Vera”
Review of Hotel Vera

Hotel Vera
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I spent 8 nights (May 29th - June 6th) at the Hotel Vera, this was my third stay at this wonderful little boutique hotel. Prior to my arrival, the hotel assisted me with my Russia visa support and transfer from the airport.

Once again, I can say only good things. I was greeted at the front desk upon my arrival, check in was smooth and efficient. I arrived prior to check-in, however, the receptionist called upstairs to see if my room was ready, it was, and I was allowed to take my room a couple of hours early. After a 15-hour flight I was happy to unpack, refresh and get some rest. Thank you to the hotel staff for this courtesy, it was much appreciated.

The room was clean, comfortable and all that I required during my stay. A small fridge allowed me to fill it with beverages, fruit and other snacks while I was working at the desk in my room. A skylight in the ceiling was a really nice touch. The blinds could be easily adjusted to keep the intense afternoon sun out. The air conditioning was also a benefit as the temperature hit 29 and 30 C on a couple of days.

I was on the 6th floor and made use of a charming seating area, complete with big comfy chairs and a library. I was able to access the hotel's free WI-FI which allowed me to check emails and chat with my family back home. Wonderful personal touches indeed!

The breakfast room is open from 8 am to 11 am daily. The selection is fresh and plentiful: kasha (my favourite), hot (sausages and eggs) and cold (assorted cold meats, cheeses, vegetables), plus cereals, breads, fruit and yogurt. Tea, coffee, juices and milk are plentiful. The staff are extremely efficient in keeping the tables clear of dirty dishes and replenishing the food for guests.

The Cafe Vera offers fixed price lunches and dinners. The menu offers something for every one. Delicious soups, salads, pizzas, appetizers, and numerous main courses. The quality of the food is superb, the presentation is beautiful. The prices are extremely reasonable, the service friendly and efficient.

Each room contains a binder filled with helpful information on the hotel, its rules and the many amenities which it offers its guests. Included are helpful tips on using the Metro and bus system. The Metro is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel, while the bus stops outside the hotel. The fare for the latter is 25 rubles, you pay the conductor on the bus. The No. 7 and No. 11 buses will take you along the Nevsky Prospekt to the State Hermitage Museum. This information is extremely helpful, simple to use and will save travellers a lot of money that they would have to pay for drivers and guides.

Prior to my departure, the hotel arranged my transfer to Pulkovo Airport. I had a very early departure (my flight was at 6 am) and upon check out I was presented with a small boxed breakfast, which consisted of a sandwich, an apple and yoghurt. This was a nice touch.

Once again, I must commend the entire staff at Hotel Vera, from the front desk staff, to the housekeepers, for making my stay in St. Petersburg so enjoyable. They were all extremely friendly and helpful. I believe that the management have made great efforts to train their staff to conform with Western levels of customer service. I was most impressed and will certainly return again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Paul G

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us once again! We appreciate your patronage and are glad that you enjoyed your stay., and would be happy to welcome you back again on your next visit St. Petersburg

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Good hotel for a weekend break with friends. The staff were extremely helpful and really made our stay special. The location unfortunately meant we spent over £40 a day on taxis to and from the main attractions and this should be taken into consideration when booking. Our room on the 4th was large but sadly the beds were not very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Vera F, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. Taxis in St. Petersburg are truly expensive, but 40 pounds a day is excessive. If you had ordered a taxi at the front desk of the hotel, the fare would have been fixed in advance and would be considerably less than you end up paying when you go by the taxi’s meter. This is described inside the guest folder located in all rooms and would have been explained to you had you inquired at the front desk. The maximum cost of a taxi when ordered by phone (from the front desk) to anywhere In central St. Petersburg is 300 rubles (~5 pounds). Hotel Vera is actually located very close (less than 100 meters) to public transportation, and trolleys are usually the best and most inexpensive way to access tourist attractions from the hotel. There are hotels that are more centrally located, right next to some of the major attractions, which are significantly more expensive. We believe that its location makes Hotel Vera one of the better hotel values in St. Petersburg.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We enjoyed our time at the Vera, and liked the value for money.
The staff is very pleasant and very helpful. We were there for Victory Day, and they did their best to ensure that we knew the lay of the land.
Our room was peculiar - it was on the 6th floor, which is the top floor, so the ceiling was slanted and was too low to pass by in a good portion of the room. The room is spacious enough, with a desk and a lot of floor space, just not very tall.
The room was also very warm because of the central heating but we were just told to run the AC unit- no problem in the end but strange.
Location is good - it's only a 5 or 10 minute walk to the Moscovskiy train station and the Ploschad Vosstania metro station. The neighborhood surrounding the hotel is quiet.
Breakfast in the café was pretty good, and there was a pretty good selection as well.

Room Tip: 6th floor ceilings are low
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Well-run independent hotel in a large Art Deco building, conveniently located (a 10-min walk from the subway and from the Moskovsky train station - where Sapsan trains from Moscow arrive. Decent breakfast included in rates. Very friendly staff (which is not that common in Russia).
Economy rooms are located under the roof: clean, quiet, decent size, nice bathroom and A/C.
One small suggestion, however: provide blackout curtains instead of blinds - there is a lot of light coming through the windows.
Overall, great value in St Petersburg - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Note that economy rooms are on the 6th floor (under the roof) -
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EdmondDantes_10

Dear Guest,

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback and your suggestions.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Friendly Hotel who helped us enormously with our various needs for our group. Each room was a little different and always full of character. My room had a crazy shower/sauna i have never seen anywhere else - can recommend. Rooms were clean and my bed was super comfortable. There were bubblers in the corridors - a definite necessity.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

First business trip to Russia. Arrived on 23/05/2014 from Syktyvkar, picked up at the airport after arranging transfer with hotel...very efficient. I commend the frontline staff (Tatiana) who was well versed in English and very helpful and friendly.The rooms are small but I guess it is the standard.
Day 1 so far excellent, only another night to go unfortunately !

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 302,was acceptable. Noise levels with window open is normal for hotels in the city.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DJN_1964

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we're glad that you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights in May and it worked out just fine. The ride from the airport (Misha-no english; arranged by the Hotel) was a harrowing and nail-biting experience, but on the bright side we made the journey in half the usual time. The reception - wonderful with english-speaking helpful people; cafe - very nice with good quality food and selection; breakfast - very nice and plentiful to get us started for the day (get rid of those simulated eggs though); room quality - just fine with comfortable beds and amenities (a two to three star room accomodation); location - great, 5 minute walk to Metro, less to the tram and another 5 minutes to Nevsky. One question though - what is the function or purpose of the man in the suit sitting at the bar all the time?

Room Tip: We were on the top floor with only skylights for wndows but it was fairly quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve W
Vera F, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback. And by the way, we only use real eggs.