“St Petersburg at Easter”
Review of Hotel Vera

Hotel Vera
Ranked #30 of 335 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Cornwall
“St Petersburg at Easter”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Trip of a lifetime. Weather was fantastic, warm and sunny.
Hotel Vera had been very helpful prior to our visit, with information and documents required to get our Russian visas.
Hotel was very good, lovely big bedroom and great bathroom. Comfortable beds and ample storage space. Breakfast buffet had plenty of choice , hot and cold, and on Easter Sunday there was a Russian Easter Cake!
It is situated within walking distance of the main Nevsy Prospekt and access to buses, metro and canal trips. Local corner shops, for bottled water etc. just minutes away. Most of the main attractions are within walking distance and the only time we used public transport was because I wanted to see the stations and platforms on the metro. Chandeliers and marble statues, and the deepest escalators I have ever been on.
Hotel is excellent value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vera F, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate your feedback and are very glad that you chose to stay with us over the Easter holiday. We try to provide the best possible value for our guests, and we're glad that you were able to recognize that.

Vera Fisher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We had a great time at the hotel vera, the staff is very friendly, the rooms are extremely clean and the overall experience was a great value for the money. We especially like that the ladies at the front desk spoke pretty good English and the bar area is very nice. The breakfast is good and the location you just can't beat.

• Stayed June 2014
Vera F, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate your feedback and are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I spent 8 nights (May 29th - June 6th) at the Hotel Vera, this was my third stay at this wonderful little boutique hotel. Prior to my arrival, the hotel assisted me with my Russia visa support and transfer from the airport.

Once again, I can say only good things. I was greeted at the front desk upon my arrival, check in was smooth and efficient. I arrived prior to check-in, however, the receptionist called upstairs to see if my room was ready, it was, and I was allowed to take my room a couple of hours early. After a 15-hour flight I was happy to unpack, refresh and get some rest. Thank you to the hotel staff for this courtesy, it was much appreciated.

The room was clean, comfortable and all that I required during my stay. A small fridge allowed me to fill it with beverages, fruit and other snacks while I was working at the desk in my room. A skylight in the ceiling was a really nice touch. The blinds could be easily adjusted to keep the intense afternoon sun out. The air conditioning was also a benefit as the temperature hit 29 and 30 C on a couple of days.

I was on the 6th floor and made use of a charming seating area, complete with big comfy chairs and a library. I was able to access the hotel's free WI-FI which allowed me to check emails and chat with my family back home. Wonderful personal touches indeed!

The breakfast room is open from 8 am to 11 am daily. The selection is fresh and plentiful: kasha (my favourite), hot (sausages and eggs) and cold (assorted cold meats, cheeses, vegetables), plus cereals, breads, fruit and yogurt. Tea, coffee, juices and milk are plentiful. The staff are extremely efficient in keeping the tables clear of dirty dishes and replenishing the food for guests.

The Cafe Vera offers fixed price lunches and dinners. The menu offers something for every one. Delicious soups, salads, pizzas, appetizers, and numerous main courses. The quality of the food is superb, the presentation is beautiful. The prices are extremely reasonable, the service friendly and efficient.

Each room contains a binder filled with helpful information on the hotel, its rules and the many amenities which it offers its guests. Included are helpful tips on using the Metro and bus system. The Metro is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel, while the bus stops outside the hotel. The fare for the latter is 25 rubles, you pay the conductor on the bus. The No. 7 and No. 11 buses will take you along the Nevsky Prospekt to the State Hermitage Museum. This information is extremely helpful, simple to use and will save travellers a lot of money that they would have to pay for drivers and guides.

Prior to my departure, the hotel arranged my transfer to Pulkovo Airport. I had a very early departure (my flight was at 6 am) and upon check out I was presented with a small boxed breakfast, which consisted of a sandwich, an apple and yoghurt. This was a nice touch.

Once again, I must commend the entire staff at Hotel Vera, from the front desk staff, to the housekeepers, for making my stay in St. Petersburg so enjoyable. They were all extremely friendly and helpful. I believe that the management have made great efforts to train their staff to conform with Western levels of customer service. I was most impressed and will certainly return again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Paul G
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us once again! We appreciate your patronage and are glad that you enjoyed your stay., and would be happy to welcome you back again on your next visit St. Petersburg

UK
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Good hotel for a weekend break with friends. The staff were extremely helpful and really made our stay special. The location unfortunately meant we spent over £40 a day on taxis to and from the main attractions and this should be taken into consideration when booking. Our room on the 4th was large but sadly the beds were not very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Vera F, Owner at Hotel Vera, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. Taxis in St. Petersburg are truly expensive, but 40 pounds a day is excessive. If you had ordered a taxi at the front desk of the hotel, the fare would have been fixed in advance and would be considerably less than you end up paying when you go by the taxi’s meter. This is described inside the guest folder located in all rooms and would have been explained to you had you inquired at the front desk. The maximum cost of a taxi when ordered by phone (from the front desk) to anywhere In central St. Petersburg is 300 rubles (~5 pounds). Hotel Vera is actually located very close (less than 100 meters) to public transportation, and trolleys are usually the best and most inexpensive way to access tourist attractions from the hotel. There are hotels that are more centrally located, right next to some of the major attractions, which are significantly more expensive. We believe that its location makes Hotel Vera one of the better hotel values in St. Petersburg.

Ottawa
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We enjoyed our time at the Vera, and liked the value for money.
The staff is very pleasant and very helpful. We were there for Victory Day, and they did their best to ensure that we knew the lay of the land.
Our room was peculiar - it was on the 6th floor, which is the top floor, so the ceiling was slanted and was too low to pass by in a good portion of the room. The room is spacious enough, with a desk and a lot of floor space, just not very tall.
The room was also very warm because of the central heating but we were just told to run the AC unit- no problem in the end but strange.
Location is good - it's only a 5 or 10 minute walk to the Moscovskiy train station and the Ploschad Vosstania metro station. The neighborhood surrounding the hotel is quiet.
Breakfast in the café was pretty good, and there was a pretty good selection as well.

Room Tip: 6th floor ceilings are low
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Well-run independent hotel in a large Art Deco building, conveniently located (a 10-min walk from the subway and from the Moskovsky train station - where Sapsan trains from Moscow arrive. Decent breakfast included in rates. Very friendly staff (which is not that common in Russia).
Economy rooms are located under the roof: clean, quiet, decent size, nice bathroom and A/C.
One small suggestion, however: provide blackout curtains instead of blinds - there is a lot of light coming through the windows.
Overall, great value in St Petersburg - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Note that economy rooms are on the 6th floor (under the roof) -
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EdmondDantes_10
Dear Guest,

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback and your suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Friendly Hotel who helped us enormously with our various needs for our group. Each room was a little different and always full of character. My room had a crazy shower/sauna i have never seen anywhere else - can recommend. Rooms were clean and my bed was super comfortable. There were bubblers in the corridors - a definite necessity.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.