“Everything was ok. Friendly and helpfull staff. Clean room. Near centre.”

Nevskiy Hotel Aster
Ranked #140 of 358 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Thank you very much! This is an all right hotel near the centre. There was no restaurant but the breakfast was served and tasted ok. Everything was ok. The big double bed room for two (+ extra bed) had two large beds and lots of space. The bathroom included suprisingly also a water jet bath and a sauna. :) Peaceful environment. But there was no lift.
Possibly we will come back again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Nevskiy Hotel Aster, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for you comments. Your opinion is very important to us and we are happy that you have enjoyed your stay.
Nevsky Hotel Group

Reviewed 26 June 2011

Spent a weekend in St. Petersburg with two friends and couldn't have been happier! Room was clean, and the housekeeping service actually folded my clothes. The continental breakfast goes the extra mile. And the front desk arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the train station. The location is amazing -- in a quiet courtyard -- yet a short walk away from all attractions (Hermitage, Kazan Cathedral, Spilled Blood. etc.) There was also free internet.

I have requested a cot -- and they provided a crib (!) -- but quickly fixed it (sometimes things are lost in translation.) Very accommodating.

I will returning for another visit from the U.S. and have already booked my room for July.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Nevskiy Hotel Aster, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting the review and for appreciating our efforts to make you as comfortable as possible. I will share your comments with our team. Thank you, we shall be looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Great location to see all the main sites, staff helpful. Breakfast basic -limited range. Room was small however clean and comfortable. Another advantage to the hotel was being away from the main road, quiet. Top tip -when booking the hotel book the car to collect you from the airport, airport taxis are expensive and even the official yellow ones, We paid four times
less.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Ram1London
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Nevskiy Hotel Aster, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your visit to St.petersburg.

Reviewed 11 May 2011

Clean and functional and brilliantly well located - the Winter Palace is just a stone's throw from your doorstep. A good breakfast too, and polite and professional staff. Drawbacks: the room was cramped and decidedly in need of some refurbishment, the heating system (although not needed at the time) looked somewhat antiquated, the sound of other guests in the corridor was occasionally intrusive, there was no mini-bar in the room (should you want one). In short, not the sort of hotel you would expect to spend a lot of time in, but given the low cost and the excellent location a very good base from which to explore the city.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotel Group at Nevskiy Hotel Aster, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you comments and for spending your time to share. We are glad that you were satisfied with cleanliness and everyday breakfast and thank you for appreciating professionalism of the staff. As regards rooms refurbishment, every year we renovate several rooms in each of our 8 hotels, thus most of the rooms have been already refurbished and we hope that within the next year renovation of the remaining rooms will have been completed.
Should you wish to come to St.Petersburg one more time, we shall be happy to welcome you again and hope that next time you will come you will stay at a completely new room.

Reviewed 4 November 2010

I had booked the hotel through British Airways for a 50th birthday treat for my husband. Having seen the pictures of the rooms and the general aspect of the hotel I had thought the room would be bigger, and to be honest as the door opened I felt a bit embarrased as it looked as if I had scrimped on the whole trip. I mentioned this to the reception but they could not change room (205).
Other than this I have no complaints. The room was clean and tidied every day. It was very quiet, being at the back. Breakfast had far more options than I could cope with and reception staff seemed helpful. It was certainly central which made it easy to walk to the main attractions.
One thing to note is that the road and square outside are undertaking extensive works making the whole area traffic free (good), but a bit muddy in places (bad). Probably finished by summer 2011, I imagine.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotel Group at Nevskiy Hotel Aster, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable comments and for sharing. We appreciate your comments about cleanness of our rooms and helpfulness of our staff. We pay special attention to those two issues and are happy when our guests notice that.
As for the works outside, that is true, extensice refurbishment works are going on in the traffic area now. At the same time pavement is intact and all the surrounding shops, cafes, etc are functioning properly. We hope that by spring our street will have acquired absolutely brand new look.
with kind regards,

Reviewed 21 September 2010

I'm surprised by the amount of good reviews for this hotel. I'll admit the location can't be beat but the hotel is not at all clean. I was first put into a room which was very large for a single booking but the room was as dark as a pit and smelled of mould. The mattress sank in the spot where everyone obviously sits on the bed and I had to make sure that I slept on the opposite side of the bed although there was a generally feeling I might roll into the sinking pit. The mould smell disturbed my sleep and gave me a sore throat. Mould was clearly visible in the bathroom and the smell was disgusting. There was a note on the door saying to leave the light on in the bathroom for ventilation so the hotel is clearly aware of the problem with this room (back corner next to the staff toilet). I complained to the staff and they offered to send the cleaners to fix the problem but I told them the problem could not be rectified easily or quickly and that they needed to use bleach when they cleaned. They didn’t know what bleach was. They tried to fob me off with the problem being caused by the chemicals in the water creating the mould etc. They offered to change my room which I checked first. Still the same problem of mould all around the bathroom and about half the size of the other room and bathroom but it was a lot brighter and did not seem to smell so I accepted the change. There was barely room to open the bathroom door without hitting the suitcase where the case holder was located. There was nowhere else to put the case as far as room is concerned. I travel with a small cabin size case so as you can gather this is a small room. There was barely room to get around the bed as far as space is concerned and you can dangle your feet in the shower compartment while on the loo. I don't really mind the size of the room but the cleanliness is a big problem. The curtains were greying with dust the carpet very soiled and grubby and the walls were covered in marks and very grubby. The mattress sank a bit like being in a hammock and you can feel the springs. On return to my newly acquired room on the second day I entered the building to discover the most disgusting smell of kerosene, or some similar substance, pervading the entire reception, entrance, steps, and corridors. Thankfully the smell did not seem to penetrate my room or breakfast room! Breakfast was extremely average. Better than the rural located hotels I had stayed in where stale week old bread seems to be the norm but not a patch on the other city hotels I had stayed in (Moscow and St Petersburg). I had transferred from the Moscow Hotel (Hotel Moskva) located at the other end of Nevskiy Prospekt near Ploschad Alexandra in St Petersburg to Nevsky Aster after my group tour of Russia finished. The Moskva Hotel was very good, clean, good breakfast, spacious room (I was sharing a twin) and had a fantastic view but of course the location is not right in the centre but a short underground ride of two stops from the very centre. The fare is 22 Euro cents. If you are not at all fussy about cleanliness and want to be right in the centre then this hotel might be suitable enough. If you are fussy about cleanliness and don’t like mouldy bathrooms then don’t book this hotel. You might want to try the Nevsky Sky, which although I believe is quite basic, is located just a block away and is new so that everything should still be clean and fresh at this stage. I had originally booked this hotel but had been unable to get an ensuite (you can if you book early enough and book direct). I regret that I decided to make the change to Aster much later after the original booking at Sky.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Gay27
JulZoo, Deputy Director of the Nevsky Hotels Group at Nevskiy Hotel Aster, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review. I was distressed and bewildered when I read it. That is true, our hotel is not brand new and is located in the old historic building. Also quite correct is that the rooms are not large, but we have never had such complaints about cleanness. Our Executive Housekeeper checks the rooms regularly and sees to it that the rooms are properly cleaned and any old and/or broken equipment is replaced with new one in time. I believe this is the reason why we receive those numerous good reviews you have mentioned in the very beginning of your own review. Having read your review I went to inspect the rooms and found no sagging mattresses or dirty curtains. I am really sorry that you did not at all like your stay with us. On our part I can promise that we shall keep a closer look on the guest rooms in order to protect our guests from any negative experience.
On behalf of our team I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for the time spent to write the review.

Reviewed 25 August 2010

Excelent Stuff made our 2nd Honeymoon a dream.They decorated our room which waited ready for us at 9am.Stuff was exeptionaly helpfool in every aspect.The room is specious enough and equiped with everything you need to spend a plesent stay.The location is the best you can ask for in Petersburg.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and our staff. It is very gratifying to learn that we contributed to the success of your second honeymoon. We hope that when you start making plans for your third honeymoon, you will choose one of our hotels, and we shall as always do everything we can to make your third anniversary a dream too.

Deputy director