“Don't eat in the restaurant”
Review of NasHotel

NasHotel
Ranked #9 of 344 Hotels in St. Petersburg
“Don't eat in the restaurant”
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Currently staying at Nash and am a bit surprised by all the rave reviews. I last visited St.Petersburg as a student in 1981 and find much has changed for the better. I recall missing last orders in the hotel restaurant at 7:00 and being forbidden food for the night by scary looking women who stood no nonsense from the young and hungry. When an older, but equally hungry version of myself recently sought food here it was a huge relief not only to find the Nash restaurant open, but a smiling young lady was ready to take food orders as late as 9:00. However, the food here is expensive and the chicken club sandwich was inedible. Not surprisingly, we were the only diners. We researched well but could find absolutely no good restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel. It's a good half hour's walk from the city centre to the hotel. The metro takes longer and is far less pleasant than the walk. After a long day of sightseeing the last thing we felt like doing in the evening was going back into the city centre. Sadly, it didn't feel safe at night, about the same as the London Underground on Saturday night - fine if you know what you're doing and admittedly we didn't here.
I guess the Nash provides good value, but I would have rather paid more for a central location had I known about the problem with food in the evening.
One thing I remember from student days here that shows little,if any,improvement is the plumbing. The shower was either scalding hot or freezing cold so we dodged in and out when we could.
A final gripe and I'm done! We thought the breakfast was just about ok but with everything seeming a bit stale.
So...modern improvements include the hotel staff - all lovely. WiFi excellent speed and free (am currently using it!) Comfortable clean beds, air con (which works) inexpensive mini bar.
When I was a student I would have thought this was heaven!
I think the Nash is missing an opportunity. Surely we aren't the only ones disappointed with the food in the locality? If it provided great food at a sensible price I think people would flock to its doors.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Having been to Russia many times, I can only highly recommend this hotel for such an excellent service. I stayed for a week and could easily stay for more. The welcome and multilingual skills made myself and my partner very welcome. The rooms are of a high standard and everything worked as it should. The free WiFi is always great to have. The location is not far from the high street and local metro. Reception is always covered and you are free to contact them or ask about local attractions. One of the best hotels, I have had the pleasure to visit.

• Stayed August 2013
Ontario
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I stayed at NasHotel for 6 nights in early August.I travel about once a month for work across North America, and no hotel in my experience has worked harder to make my stay a happy one. I can't think of how the hotel could have done any better than they did! They provided my visa documentation for free (none of the other hotels I considered offered this service), arranged for an airport pickup (which was a must after 20 hours plus travelling), my daughter arrived with flowers and minutes later Ruslan showed up at the door with a vaseful of water, check in quick and efficient (thanks for the complimentary champagne!), speedy response to all questions, staff spoke great English which makes it easier for someone like me who can only say hello and thank you in Russian, ordered taxis for our outings. Many thanks to Alexandra, Olga and others! Breakfast was terrific, biggest plate of smoked salmon I have ever seen, fresh juices, big selection of tea, coffee, cereal, breads, cheese, meat, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. My room was very well kept during the whole stay and the bed was very comfortable. The metro was a five minute walk away, a walk along the Neva about 7 minutes, and I walked to all the sites Hermitage, St Isaac's, Kazan, Church on the Spilled Blood. I think staying out of the core Nevsky area gives you a feel for the city that you don't get downtown. Our plane left at 6 a.m. and they ordered a taxi during the time the bridge was down and offered box breakfast with no additional charge. This was especially gracious when I requested two since I was travelling home with my daughter who was not a hotel guest. I've read that someone didn't like the night manager, this was not my experience at all, he was as lovely as all other staff of the hotel. Thank you to all at the NasHotel! I hope to return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights and there wasn't one negative about staying here. The rooms were very modern and very clean, the breakfast had a large choice, the wifi was free and fast and the staff very accommodating. We walked to the main sites, Winter Palace, within 30 minutes, which is a lovely walk along the river and over a choice of two bridges.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Breda, Netherlands
Reviewed 29 July 2013

There's isn't anything bad I could say about the NashOTEL.
I loved the beds and the bedding, very soft. The shower was very, very roomy and wonderful. The staff is super helpful and friendly. The receptionist Olga really went out of her way to make our stay as wonderful as can be.
The breakfast buffet was excellent, lots of things to choose from.
It's not noisy at all, in the hotel nor on the street, which makes for a very peaceful night.
I would definitely go to this hotel again if I were to go to St. Petersburg again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We spent 4 nights at NashOTEL in St. Petersburg and enjoyed our visit. We braved the Metro with our luggage to travel from the train station to the hotel. It was doable, although the walk from the Metro with suitcases felt much longer than it did without luggage the next day! The numbered street system is easy to follow, and although NashOTEL is a long block off of the main street, it wasn't hard to find.

The front desk staff was very welcoming upon our arrival, and in fact, was very helpful throughout our visit, answering questions and booking a taxi for us. We found that their English was very proficient and they were more welcoming than other places we have stayed / visited while in Russia.

The hotel itself is in a regular neighborhood, where people live, children play, etc. So it feels a bit more home-like than a big city hotel. Our two rooms had rear facing views, which were rather ordinary in overlooking neighboring buildings, although our son did enjoy watching a dog who lived behind the property. We quite liked the friendly and bright color scheme and the modern design of the hotel. When the elevator took us upstairs, it was a pleasant surprise to see an indoor courtyard open in front of us, with seating available for guests.

We arranged a family room, which was very spacious, even with the sofa bed opened up. We had a separate room for luggage with closets, which was very convenient. Our room also came with a desk area with a small television. There were ample plugs to charge our electronic devices, a safe which could hold our laptop, and wireless internet worked very well (pick up a code at the front desk to use, lasting 72 hours for up to 3 devices). The bathroom had a shower/tub combination as well as a sink and toilet, and ample toiletries. Water temperature fluctuated a bit hot/cold during prime morning shower times, but it was only a minor inconvenience. Note that there are 3 curtains in the room. We only figured this out partway through our visit, so spent the first 2 nights with very bright light in our room. Once we found the dark curtain, we were fine. Despite that, sleep quality on the bed was good and the room was quiet.

Our room rate included a buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant. We were able to find a table each day without too much difficulty. Food selection was good, and eggs were available via order from the staff, so they would arrive fresh. We particularly enjoyed the mushroom omelets. Other selections included porridge, meats, cheeses, bread, pastries, cereals, yogurt, juice, and coffee. On 2 of the days, they also served Russian pancakes, which were great.

One thing to note -- there are a lot of mosquitos in St. Petersburg, and we unfortunately left with many bites.

There is a small bar downstairs which stays open late, and is convenient to grab a drink before retiring for the evening.

The hotel location is slightly out of city center, but it's only a few Metro stops to just about anywhere. We also walked to the Hermitage, and we walked to St. Peter and Paul Fortress. Both were easy walks, although took our family about 45 minutes for each, given we had grandparents and a small child. We enjoyed walking along the river on both sides, where we could see a variety of boats, including at one point a cargo ship loaded high with logs!

We had a great visit, and taking all of the above into consideration, would recommend NashOTEL.

Room Tip: Higher floors have more of a view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tangek
Sochi, Russia
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Stayed at this hotel in June. And if anyone remembers, June in St. Petersburg was very hot.Air conditioning in the room helps a lot, worked properly and quiet. Our room was overlooking the street.I must say that the street is not very busy at night, so the cars noise did not disturb our sleep. Very comfortable mattresses and bedding is so pleasant. Usually I do not sleep well in hotels, but in NasHotel slept like a baby. The room has new furniture and very nice design. The hotel is very picturesque - lots of flowers and positive colors. The staff is very friendly and attentive, were ready to help with any question. Really liked welcome drink! After a long road - it is what you need. The staff met us very welcoming and checked in quickly.Very varied and delicious breakfast. Once we had dinner in the hotel restaurant - very tasty and affordable.The hotel is a five minute walk from the subway and one station from the city center. Few times we walked to the Nevsky by foot - 30-40 minutes along the beautiful embankment.We choose this hotel on the recommendation of our friends who had stayed here already. And we have never regretted. Thanks to all the NasHotel team! We will remember this vacation for a long time!

Room Tip: If you need a totally quiet room - choose the room with a view on a courtyard
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family