First of all, this is not a real hotel, but what's called in St.Pete a mini-hotel, that is a converted old large apartment which shares staircase and entrance with other apartments, some inhabited, others used by offices etc. A sort of oversized B&B in a flat rather than a house - St.Pete centre is full of them now. That's precisely what this hotel is.
Location is very good, behind the Kazansky cathedral, close to everything, including metro station (5 min) on the line towards the airport. Practically on Nevsky, but still on a back street which is rather quiet.
You have to climb up to the 4th floor of a residential building's staircase, no elevator. The staff are very welcoming. Some rooms are on the same floor as the entry, for others you have to pass the reception and then go down an internal staircase, which is a bit odd. My first room was 'downstairs', next to this staircase, which made for a horrible night, as it was shaking whenever there were people on the staircase. When I complained, the receptionist first tried to sell me an upgrade to a suite, but seeing I was not ready to pay more, quickly found another room, which was indeed a lot quieter.
The rooms are very modestly decorated and very small, just enough space for a double bed and a wardrobe. Both rooms I stayed in faced the courtyard, very bleak and shabby, typical St.Petersburg 'well-yard'; at least it was quiet.
The hotel is still new, but there are already signs of wear, tv remotes falling apart, shower pieces not holding properly in place; shower cubicle in my first room had a crack just taped over. Small things like this.
In contrast, the common room where the breakfast was served (small but adequate selection of cold things) and where you could also spend time/work/meet during the day is very nicely decorated using period furniture etc and is certainly a pleasant place to be in.
Free wifi is certainly a plus, but the reception in the rooms can be patchy; nearer to reception and in the lounge it was good. There was also a public PC for general use, connected to the internet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A conceptual boutique-hotel "Rachmaninov" is situated in the very center of St. Petersburg near Nevsky Prospect and Kazansky Cathedral. It combines the museum area with a homely coziness, sophisticated atmosphere of the Silver Age with bohemian chic of nowadays. The owners of the hotel possess a unique collection of antiques. They also constantly replenish the hotel art collection with contemporary paintings and photography. In years of its existence “Rachmaninov” became a very popular hotel (apartments). Among the guests you can see celebrities, people of culture, consulate representatives, politicians and businessmen who are interested in art. On a fifth anniversary of the hotel famous St. Petersburg artists painted the doors of the rooms in the hotel with their fantasies based on the music of the famous Russian composer. The hotel, situated in the former commercial house, carefully looks after the room where Rachmaninov spent some time of his youth. The layout of the hotel looks like an art gallery and this is not accidentally – here the exhibitions of different artists regularly take place. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Booking.com, HostelWorld, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Rachmaninov Art-Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rachmaninov Hotel St Petersburg
- Rachmaninov St Petersburg