“The Reviews are Accurate”
Review of Nevsky Forum Hotel

Nevsky Forum Hotel
Ranked #14 of 335 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Boston
“The Reviews are Accurate”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Sometimes I don't trust the reviews on tripadvisor, but for the Nevsky Forum they are on target. The location is great on Nevsky Prospect right next to the metro. We went in June so the street was very busy, Despite that and having a room in the front, the room was very quiet. The suite was pleasant and comfortable for 3 of us. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Breakfast was great. Definitely a good place to stay in an expensive city.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stayed here for just over a week recently when in St Petersburg for a meeting. The hotel is in a good position relative to the metro station (it's only about 2 doors from Mayakovskaya) but it's important to note it is at the 'wrong' end of Nevsky Prospekt relative to the main attractions eg Hermitage, Cathedral of Spilled Blood etc. I was here with a group of friends, and most were staying at the other end of Nevsky. This meant most of our gatherings were at their end of Nevsky Prospekt and therefore I spend a lot of time walking up and down. Cabs were easy to hail to run you up or down the street but the pricing was so arbitrary (anywhere between 200-500 rubles, both of these being overpriced). You could take a metro half way up Nevsky Prospekt but in the end I just walked. My own choice. It's a good walk with lots of shops etc on the way.

The hotel itself was good. The rooms were cosy and quite spacious. Housekeeping was excellent and as usual it was the little things I appreciated - free wifi, bottle of water a day.

My only gripe was the room security. The swipe cards had the name of the hotel AND the room number printed on them. Normally I wouldn't have thought twice about this, however on our first night in St Petersburg my friend was mugged and lost his wallet, phone and watch. I then got to thinking that if this had happened to me, the muggers could have quite easily cleaned out my room before I got back. I did ask for a card without the room number printed on it but unfortunately they didn't have any, so I resorted to leaving my swipe card at reception every time i went out. Slightly paranoid, yes, but at least I didn't have to keep worrying I had been pick pocketed and my things were being rummaged through.

The safe in the room also needs attention. It was not bolted down, and was simply sitting on the window sill so if someone had gained access to my room, they could have just tucked it under their arm and walked off.

Those two minor gripes aside, I was very happy in this hotel. For me, the most important thing in the hospitality industry is exactly that - hospitality. The staff were wonderful, in particular Margarita at the front desk and Alexander the security guard.

If I return to St Petersburg I would stay here again, but do implore the hotel managers to reconsider some minor potential security issues.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
NF_Hotel, Manager at Nevsky Forum Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Dear Spin_king,

thank you for your review. On behalf of the management we would like to express our gratitude for you feedback and amenities improvement offer. Our guest keys can be locked in distance, in case of loss or theft, all you need is just to inform the reception about the accident. The room safe burglary is also hardly possible, as we have 24/7 on site security and all the public areas are supervised by the cameras. During 5 years of working period we have never had any accidents of this kind. But we are care about our guest's comfort and composure, so we will fix the mentioned minor issues soon. We appreciate your consideration for our hotel and other guests safety.
And I want to add just a few word about our location - the hotel is placed at the center of the Nevsky prospect, just 20 min. walk from the main city sightseeing, and during traffic hours the fastest (and the most pleasant) way to reach the beginning of the prospect is a stroll.

We would bу happy to see you at the Nevsky Forum again.
Fyodor Tarasyuk
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 8 July 2011

The hotel is next door to the subway station. Very friendly staff, especially Alexander. The room was clean and very well equipped.

Room Tip: the rooms overlooking the courtyard are very quiet
Montgomery, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2011

First I must say I found the staff outstanding. From picking us up at the airport and throughout our stay. I can honestly say they went out of their way to accomodate us. Our rooms were always clean as was the hotel. The location of the hotel is perfect and within walking distance to the Hermitage. St. Petersburg and I celebrate the same birthday, May 27th. Margarita presented me with a book on St. Petersburg and the Le Presse presented me with cake. All I can say is, it is a wonderful place to stay if you ever decide to visit St. Petersburg.

Deb and Glen Yarbrough

Room Tip: Ask for a window handle.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
NF_Hotel, Manager at Nevsky Forum Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Dear Deb and Glen,

thank you for choosing us and leaving a nice review about your stay. It was our pleasure to congratulate you on your birthday, hope, you've enjoyed the cake.
Concerning your tip about a window handle - the hotel does't supply the rooms with window handles for two main reasons. The first one is that we are located on the Nevsky prospect, which could be busy with traffic, so once leaving a window open for several hours the room would be covered with dust. The second reason - that we have air conditioning system, so it fails to work while the windows are open. But we can provide window handles on demand, all you need is just contact the reception.

All the best regards from our team.
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2011

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights.
The hotel is situated on the main street in St Petersburg, which is very busy with both people and cars, but a good location for a visit to the city. With adequate triple glazing there is no noise problems either.
The hotel has been completely modernised inside despite an older exterior.
From the road there are steps up to the reception, which is on the first floor, but there is also a lift from another entry on the ground floor, and we were met at the door by a member of staff who insisted on taking our luggage up to reception via the lift, so there is no need to struggle with luggage.
All the staff were super, they couldn't have been more helpful, and speak perfect english - so if you arrive and the front door is not attended - call up to reception and somebody is sure to help out.
The room was modern and clean, as was the rest of the hotel.
We didn't dine there at night - but the restaurant was again modern and clean and the breakfasts were fine too - there is a small buffet for fruit/cereals/coffee/cakes etc and you order your hot breakfasts from the waiter/waitress - and we tried most variations and all were OK (odd choice of red kidney beans on my bacon/egg American breakfast though instead of baked beans - but variety is the spice of life - and we couldn't grumble about the food)
Overall - very good
The location is on the Nevsky Prospect street, but a fair walk from the end nearest the river (which is where the minibus from the Ferry from Helsinki dropped us) - so we had an initial 30 minute walk to the hotel - we might have caught a bus or taken a cab if we had realised the exact location on that street - so it may be worthwhile checking the precise location on the street before you arrive to then plan how to reach it as Nevsky Prospect is a very very long street.
The only problem with the hotel is that for a UK visitor it is expensive - but then probably every hotel in St Petersburg is probably equally if not more expensive - as is eating out - drinking - shopping - in fact everything.
You can walk to the Hermitage from the hotel (about 30 mins at a fairly slow pace), but we found the best way to visit Peterhof was by Hydrofoil which leave frequently from bases on the river near the main bridges (near the Hermitage) - but time your visit carefully as foreign visitors are not allowed in the palace between 12 noon and 2.30pm (and you are then charged more than Russian visitors too). You will have to queue too - and you will need all the tolerance you can muster - as Russians don't understand queues and continually push in front of you.

If you want advice on travel or for somebody to arrange it for you - the reception would certainly sort it out - they couldn't have been more helpful - and at reception is a free internet station for quests too.

And beware of pickpockets - seemingly they are everywhere - you will see most other people carrying their rucksacks on their chests whilst walking around or travelling on the Metro, and although we had no trouble - we were warned that to carry a rucksack on your back was only inviting trouble.

Would we stay again? Yes

1 Thank typicalcustomer
NF_Hotel, Manager at Nevsky Forum Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Dear typicalcustomer,

thank you for you contribution to travelling database, as your review is so well thought-out and detailed. We appreciate you liked your staying at the Nevsky Forum, thank you for mentioning our options as elevator and triple glazing windows, despite the only 29 rooms we provide all the necessary facilities for the comfort of our guests.
Great that you've experienced a hydrofoil trip to Petergof - it is one of the fastest and convenient ways to getting to this famous suburb.
All the team of our hotel wishes you more amazing and notable travelling, and we welcome you back any time at Nevsky Forum.

Best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Once we got over the beige decor, we enjoyed our stay. The room was comfortable and quiet, not large but big enough, the restaurant is good and the breakfast really sets you up for the day, reception was professionally welcoming and the location of the hotel is just perfect! Walking distance to tourist sites, metro next door, restaurants and coffee shops all around as well as shopping. I was pleased with my choice!

NF_Hotel, Manager at Nevsky Forum Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
Dear tess-v,

thank you for your review. We appreciate you've enjoyed our location, St.Petersburg is indeed a city that worth walking by feet.
All our hotel's team wish you safe and memorable trips.
Hope to see you at Nevsky Forum one day.

Fyodor Tarasyuk
Szczecin, Poland
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Very good lokation.Rooms clean,cosy and quiet.Breakfast ok (every day the same...).Staff very helpfull and profesional.I'm going to come back..soon.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
NF_Hotel, Manager at Nevsky Forum Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
Dear ancz75,

thank you for you review and high rating of the hotel. It's always pleasant to receive acknowledgement for your work. If you have an opportunity, please, share your travel experience about St.Petersburg at TripAdvisor traveller's forum.
Looking forward to welcome you at the Nevsky Forum Hotel again.