“Nice”

AZIMUT Hotel Saint Petersburg
Ranked #72 of 361 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The rooms are clean, the hotel is far only 4 metro stations from the historical center, and the breakfast is delicious. Some problems with water pipes, which they promised to be solved soon. I would go back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Charles O, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2014

Dear Guest,

Although, it’s been a while since you wrote on trip advisor and stayed with us last year, I wanted to write and let you personally know that over the last year many changes have happened here at the AZIMUT Hotel St Petersburg, including a complete refurbishment of the public areas with a completely new reception, lobby and restaurants plus our new Sky Bar (Level 18) with amazing floor to ceiling panoramic views of St Petersburg was opened in December.

I wanted to let you know as you commented about the water pipes that we have completed this project which was a large part of the extensive renovation that has been going plus we have put new ventilation and air conditioning in all the public areas and the new SMART rooms.
I was glad to read that you would come back and stay again with us and we hope that your travels bring you back soon to our hotel.

Kind regards Charles Otter - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,346)

Reviewed 26 August 2013

The hotel is very big, so it takes often 300 meters and five floors to walk to my room from the reception. The hotel is poorly managed. First we received a room which was stinking, no air condition, no closet, no desk, and filthy. Because the alternate room I was offered was poor, after a day, I upgraded myself to a "suit", which was a regular room, with cracked sink and a desk lamp with a torn cord. The air-conditioning was ineffective. The management system is run like in a clumsy and complex soviet administration. Hotel taxis are expensive as much as three times than the cost for a regular Russian. Drivers are often impolite and know only Russian.
Breakfast is varied, medium quality. The hotel is not so clean.
In short, it was a disaster.
Perhaps in the renovated part it is better.

Room Tip: Do not go there !
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank alantl
Charles O, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Guest reviews are very important and I clearly understand that last August your stay was less than satisfactory. I wanted to write even though time has passed and let you know that over the last 12 months the hotel has undergone major changes, starting with my arrival 12 months ago and with a huge renovation project whereby you certainly would not recognize the hotel that stayed almost a year ago. I do agree that the hotel is large and clearly you do not stay in one of our newly renovated SMART Rooms and Suites. These new SMART rooms are fully air conditioned, modern and stylish and combined with our increased standards of cleanliness, and service we are now becoming a mid market international hotel. Also, we have fully renovated all public areas. I would be delighted to welcome you back and I am writing to you personally and I hope you will take up my office one day in the future to come back.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.

Kind regards Charles Otter/ General Manager

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Just 20 minutes away by walk from St.Petersburg center and attractions. Very huge clean hotel. Nice views of St,Petersburg from top floors. During breakfast the dining room was too busy and lots of people. Dining room seems small for that size of hotel. Breakfast was good. The only thing we did not like was we had to pay to keep our luggage downstairs because we had to leave after 14.00

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Charles O, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2014

Dear Guest,

I know time has passed since you wrote your review on Trip Advisor but I was reading your comments and wanted to quickly write and thank you for your review.

Last year when you wrote, I had only just started as General Manager and wanted to quickly let you know that since you stayed we have completed a large scale renovation of the hotel and its even better than you remember it. Last December we opened our Sky Bar on Level 18 with gorgeous panoramic views of St Petersburg from its floor to ceiling windows, in May this year we reopened the new lobby, reception, bar and restaurants in a complete modern new style all supported by new floor to ceiling windows, ventilation, air conditioning. With the new restaurants, breakfast is a more smooth experience and the quality and quantity of food is even better with more space thanks to the new design.

Should your travels bring you back to St Petersburg, it would be our pleasure to have you stay with us and for you to see the changes and have your expectations exceeded.

Kind regards Charles Otter - General Manager

Reviewed 4 August 2013

It is a huge hotel, with old furnishing and old equipments.

They don’t have ice cubes machines in the (long) hallways, a small elevator, small rooms. The curtains are not blackout models, with is quite important in the summer, because the darkness of the night is only a memory of the winter. Ok it’s extreme North, almost polar circle, but it is quite hot in the summer: I missed the air conditioning.

They offer Internet acess.

The breakfast is regular. Lots of food, cheese, ham, fish, beans, bread and coffee. Nothing special, thought. It’s a mass production, for lots of tourists, self-service.

The staff is nice, even if they don’t understand English they manage to show in the map or call for someone.

There is a bar in the lobby.

Room Tip: next to the elevators, the hotel has longs hallways
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Charles O, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to respond about our hotel. Your comments are completely correct but the hotel is evolving into a new SMART high standard mid-market competitor.

Unfortunately you stayed in one of our old style rooms. In June, we just released 322 newly renovated SMART Deluxe Rooms back into hotel and these rooms are equipped with black out curtains and will be air conditioned from September. We plan to continue with the refurbishment of the rooms over the next 2 years.

Also worth noting is that all public areas (Restaurant, Bar, Lobby and Reception) will be completely renovated and by May 1st, 2014 we will definitely have a modern new look to the whole hotel.

If you are retuning back to the hotel, I would welcome a personal email from you and I would be delighted to ensure that you experience one of our new rooms. My direct email is cotter@azimuthotels.com

Kind regards Charles Otter/ General Manager

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My PROs
- staff at reception speaks perfect english
- rooms and bathrooms were clean
- several ATMs in the hotel
- not so expensive gift shop
- good quality and price of food in hotel restaurant
- small grocery store across the street
- quite fast internet in rooms (skype was working perfectly :D

My CONs
- quality of room was not what we payed for- hotel offeres a junior suite with air-con and fridge using booking portals although we got room with old dusty carpet, small double bed. on the other hand the room was clean an spacious. when we complained they at least borrowed us a fan, because there was 29°C in the room!!!
- walking distance to nearest metro station is 20-30 min, but you can take a bus
- check-in took forever, hotel was very busy
- some rooms were facing quite busy street

My summary in the end- budget hotel with really good breakfast and meals, but the rooms are really "oldies"

Room Tip: I checked hotel´s photos after we came back and they updated them- what are they showing us now is m...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed at Azimut hotel during meeting in St. Petersburg. The organizers of the meeting book room for us. We arrived early in the morning in the hotel and we asked if we could do earlier check in. It was impossible so we paid 160 euros for couple of hours in single room (!!!!). We were so tired so we could not wait in the lobby. But room was scorching- old furniture, old bathroom, no air-condition, no fridge...
After couple of hours (after 2 pm) we moved to another room (which organizers booked for us) and these room was better but still we felt the bitterness of overly expensive first room. Also, in these room air condition did not work but we had fridge. It is strange that there is no closet in the room. During our stay renovation of the hotel was in progress, so often we heard drills. Also, the rooftop terrace with views of the city is closed. Breakfast was a strange- they offer rice, potatoes, beans, vegetables...
All in all -too expensive!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We chose this hotel because we were in St. Petersburg during the White Nights and rooms were very scarce and expensive. This was the only actual hotel we could find that had rooms below an astronomical cost. Incidentally, I had spent a summer staying at this same place when it was the 'Sovietskaya' 27 years ago, so I figured another stay would have some nostalgic value as well. Unfortunately my experience at the Azimut was reminiscent only of the worst aspects of Soviet times.

We were welcomed by a check-in process that was slow, chaotic, uncaring, and unreformed from Soviet times. A handful of clerks were working behind the large check-in desk, but clearly not enough. The desk was surrounded by unorganized clumps of people, so that it was unclear who was waiting to check in, who was in which line, or where you were supposed to stand. I waited in one comparatively clear 'line' wondering if I'd be better off in a different clump as I waited for a half hour through each endlessly long transaction of the people in front of me. Everything about this process screamed out that this hotel could not care less about the quality of my experience.

Only AFTER enduring this miserable check in process did we discover that the entire hotel's air conditioning system was down, and there was no expectation that it would be fixed during our entire four-night long stay. Our corner room had a lot of windows and was an unbearable oven. I had reserved an air conditioned room, and they had no business checking me in (and charging my whole stay) without informing me of this failing at the height of summer.

So we returned to the miserable, chaotic check-in desk to demand a refund -- despite fears that nothing else was available in town. We had to wait in line again long enough for me to find one room at another hotel for just two nights. But at this point I'd take any risk to get out of this dump. After another half hour of misery we got to an agent who did in fact refund our money. We left this depressing place as fast as possible.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple