“Good for a place to rest”

Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg
Ranked #68 of 334 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Good for a place to rest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We arrived almost around midnight and was so ready to crash, luckily the check-in went by very quickly (and so did the check-out). Our room was teeny tiny, but stylish and very clean nonetheless! We had a twin room and the beds and pillows were very comfy and seems rather new (especially compared to our hotel in Moscow). The bathroom only has a shower (no tub), both hot and cold water ran well. If possible, I'd avoid the breakfast as the food was just so-so and on our last day there (a Saturday) we had to wait for almost an hour just to get a table.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Charles O, General Manager at Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Adviser and I was pleased to read that your stay was enjoyable, you stayed in one of our 322 newly renovated SMART rooms. Your comment about breakfast was indeed correct and was well noted. Since your stay in October, we have greatly improved the selection of items on the breakfast buffet, I knew this was a problem and we have been working on it.

Kind regards Charles Otter - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

it is situated very far to nevsky prospect. room is bad. with this money you can choose better hotels close to center. breakfast is good. there is no metro to the hotel area. closest station is 20-30 minutes walk.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank mehmet ali t

Travellers are raving about these St. Petersburg hotels

Holstebro, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I didn't expect much after having read several of the reviews on TripAdvisor, but Azimut Hotel surprised me in a positive way.
Yes, I have been to more luxurious hotels in my life, but they were situated in other parts of the world, where conditions are different.
For a russian hotel Azimut ain't all that bad.
My room (on the 5th floor) was spacious (I admit that my travelmates had smaller rooms) and very clean. However, like in all russian hotels, I have been to; it was very warm, and the only way to regulate the heat is by opening the window (much traffic outside) or leave the aircon on - which didn't work all that well, but well enough to cause me a cold.
Bed and pillow was very good. Nice bathroom, not big, but modern.
Staff was friendly, check-in was fairly fast. So was check-out.
Bad Things:
1. The pièce de résistance, the rooftop bar, was closed due to renovation. I had been looking forward to that view!
2. The breakfast buffet is a regular nightmare in the weekend! Not that the food is that bad (just mediocre), but there are SO many weekendguest, and unless you turn up the minute the buffet opens (07.30), you'll be in line for 30-45 minutes just to get in. The you'll stand in line for the cold buffet, then the hot buffet, then the coffee, then juice......my God!)
3. Azimut is far from the center,. We walked home one day, and I'll only recommend that to good Walkers. I guess there is about 4 kilometers or even more. There is a metrostation about 1 kilometer away from the hotel (metro is easy to use) and there are busses, which I never really tried.

Room Tip: My room was facing traffic and big buildnings, where as the rooms on the other side had a great view...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mettegrith
Charles O, General Manager at Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I know you wrote on Trip Advisor and reviewed our hotel last year but I thought it prudent to write and introduce myself as Charles Otter – General Manager and started over a year ago her at the hotel. It was great to read that we exceeded your expectations for your the first time you stayed at the hotel. I would like to let you know that the hotel has considerably evolved since your list visit complete renovation of all public areas. The room you stayed in one was one our new SMART rooms and now they are complete with a new ventilation and air conditioning system bring a greater level of comfort that was not there last year for all our guests.

We opened our Sky Bar (Level 18), in December and with its floor to ceiling widows , offers some of the best views of St Petersburg. The eclectic menu and range of cocktails keeps our guests happy. Breakfast has become much more streamlined with a complete new restaurant design and more capacity which has helped us reduce the congestion.

Should you travels venture you back to St Petersburg, I would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel, feel free to contact me directly on cotter@azimuthotels.com

Kind regards Charles Otter – General Manager
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

The rooms are clean, the hotel is far only 4 metro stations from the historical center, and the breakfast is delicious. Some problems with water pipes, which they promised to be solved soon. I would go back again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Charles O, General Manager at Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this review, 14 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Although, it’s been a while since you wrote on trip advisor and stayed with us last year, I wanted to write and let you personally know that over the last year many changes have happened here at the AZIMUT Hotel St Petersburg, including a complete refurbishment of the public areas with a completely new reception, lobby and restaurants plus our new Sky Bar (Level 18) with amazing floor to ceiling panoramic views of St Petersburg was opened in December.

I wanted to let you know as you commented about the water pipes that we have completed this project which was a large part of the extensive renovation that has been going plus we have put new ventilation and air conditioning in all the public areas and the new SMART rooms.
I was glad to read that you would come back and stay again with us and we hope that your travels bring you back soon to our hotel.

Tel Aviv
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

The hotel is very big, so it takes often 300 meters and five floors to walk to my room from the reception. The hotel is poorly managed. First we received a room which was stinking, no air condition, no closet, no desk, and filthy. Because the alternate room I was offered was poor, after a day, I upgraded myself to a "suit", which was a regular room, with cracked sink and a desk lamp with a torn cord. The air-conditioning was ineffective. The management system is run like in a clumsy and complex soviet administration. Hotel taxis are expensive as much as three times than the cost for a regular Russian. Drivers are often impolite and know only Russian.
Breakfast is varied, medium quality. The hotel is not so clean.
In short, it was a disaster.
Perhaps in the renovated part it is better.

Room Tip: Do not go there !
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank alantl
Charles O, General Manager at Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Guest reviews are very important and I clearly understand that last August your stay was less than satisfactory. I wanted to write even though time has passed and let you know that over the last 12 months the hotel has undergone major changes, starting with my arrival 12 months ago and with a huge renovation project whereby you certainly would not recognize the hotel that stayed almost a year ago. I do agree that the hotel is large and clearly you do not stay in one of our newly renovated SMART Rooms and Suites. These new SMART rooms are fully air conditioned, modern and stylish and combined with our increased standards of cleanliness, and service we are now becoming a mid market international hotel. Also, we have fully renovated all public areas. I would be delighted to welcome you back and I am writing to you personally and I hope you will take up my office one day in the future to come back.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.

Kind regards Charles Otter/ General Manager
Island of Malta, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Just 20 minutes away by walk from St.Petersburg center and attractions. Very huge clean hotel. Nice views of St,Petersburg from top floors. During breakfast the dining room was too busy and lots of people. Dining room seems small for that size of hotel. Breakfast was good. The only thing we did not like was we had to pay to keep our luggage downstairs because we had to leave after 14.00

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Charles O, General Manager at Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this review, 1 October 2014
Dear Guest,

I know time has passed since you wrote your review on Trip Advisor but I was reading your comments and wanted to quickly write and thank you for your review.

Last year when you wrote, I had only just started as General Manager and wanted to quickly let you know that since you stayed we have completed a large scale renovation of the hotel and its even better than you remember it. Last December we opened our Sky Bar on Level 18 with gorgeous panoramic views of St Petersburg from its floor to ceiling windows, in May this year we reopened the new lobby, reception, bar and restaurants in a complete modern new style all supported by new floor to ceiling windows, ventilation, air conditioning. With the new restaurants, breakfast is a more smooth experience and the quality and quantity of food is even better with more space thanks to the new design.

Should your travels bring you back to St Petersburg, it would be our pleasure to have you stay with us and for you to see the changes and have your expectations exceeded.

Campo Grande, MS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

It is a huge hotel, with old furnishing and old equipments.

They don’t have ice cubes machines in the (long) hallways, a small elevator, small rooms. The curtains are not blackout models, with is quite important in the summer, because the darkness of the night is only a memory of the winter. Ok it’s extreme North, almost polar circle, but it is quite hot in the summer: I missed the air conditioning.

They offer Internet acess.

The breakfast is regular. Lots of food, cheese, ham, fish, beans, bread and coffee. Nothing special, thought. It’s a mass production, for lots of tourists, self-service.

The staff is nice, even if they don’t understand English they manage to show in the map or call for someone.

There is a bar in the lobby.

Room Tip: next to the elevators, the hotel has longs hallways
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Charles O, General Manager at Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to respond about our hotel. Your comments are completely correct but the hotel is evolving into a new SMART high standard mid-market competitor.

Unfortunately you stayed in one of our old style rooms. In June, we just released 322 newly renovated SMART Deluxe Rooms back into hotel and these rooms are equipped with black out curtains and will be air conditioned from September. We plan to continue with the refurbishment of the rooms over the next 2 years.

Also worth noting is that all public areas (Restaurant, Bar, Lobby and Reception) will be completely renovated and by May 1st, 2014 we will definitely have a modern new look to the whole hotel.

If you are retuning back to the hotel, I would welcome a personal email from you and I would be delighted to ensure that you experience one of our new rooms. My direct email is cotter@azimuthotels.com

Kind regards Charles Otter/ General Manager