“No hot water” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #67 of 327 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Geneva, Switzerland
“No hot water”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Was in SP for work and chose this hotel as one of the recommendations from our hosts. The refurbished rooms were ok, but just as we were registering they informed us that the hot water would be cut two days later as the government had informed them that they would be cleaning the pipes. Now why would you clean up pipes in the busiest part of the year. Breakfast was a bit of a nightmare, too many people (tour groups), coffee not good and people don't seem to acknowledge other people's space (even if you left your coffee cups or other indications you were at the table you could find a complete stranger sitting in front of you when coming back from choosing your bkfast). Restaurant/bar on 18 was good, but service was slow and left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lazen60
ibayramova, AZIMUT Hotels at Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest!

Thank you very much for your review about AZIMUT Hotel Saint-Petersburg. We are happy that you liked our refurbished rooms and Sky Bar on 18th floor. I do apologize for the inconvenience you had when the hot water was cut. As a gesture of good will, we would like to offer you an upgrade for your next stay with us. Could you please contact me in advance, so I could take care of that. My e-mail address is: ibayramova@azimuthotels.com.

We do hope to welcome you back!
With kind regards,
Irada Bayramova - Quality Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Muodoslompolo, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

After reading the earlier reviews of the hotel my expections where not all to high.
However the service in the hotel ( expect Skybar ) is terrbile and long and the rooms would need some new painting and air condition however for the price u pay its not so bad!

The Hotel is however not in the center, or well u will find local shops and places like Mcdonals around the corner but if u really want to get to the center of st petersburg u will need 2 stops with metro ( metro about 1-1,5km away ) or a taxi for about 10 euros.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Charles O, General Manager at Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Joanne,

Thanks for your review and I was so sorry to read that we really did not deliver the service you expected. Although,reassuring to read you enjoyed Sky Bar and the price you paid was reasonable, I understood that you sentiment in what you wrote. I have been here just over a year and I wanted to write and let you know that I believe that the service levels have greatly increased and we have finished the renovation of the entire Ground Floor and 2nd Floor conference center. There is a complete new reception, lobby, restaurants, bar and a modern clean design running through the hotel. In regards to your comments, what is located around the hotel, we have produced our own map of the surrounding areas of the hotel complete with restaurant and small business entities that are definitely of interest to our guests.

I would dearly love to welcome you back to the hotel for another try and convince you that the hotel is growing and fast changing from your stay in February earlier this year. If indeed your travels bring you back to St Petersburg, then I would personally like to hear from you and organize your stay.

I can easily be contacted on cotter@azimuthotels.com

Kind regards, Charles Otter/ General Manager
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

This former Sovietsy hotel with over 1000 rooms had now 7 floors of the new Azimut 'smart rooms' that offer a mid scale style room at an affordable price. The hotel is under extensive renovation so until May 2014 access is somewhat restricted. Expect it to have excellent group and meeting facilities by this summer. Their new Sky Bar is now open on 18th floor offering great city views

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank djenk_moscow
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am writing to inform you that this summer the hotel completed its renovations and it’s a vastly different product waiting for you to return and experience. The new design is modern, fresh and stylish, the whole ground floor is completely new and very welcoming and comfortable for all guests. We opened the Level 2 Conference Center in July and this is another great addition to the services we can provide to our guests.

I am not sure if you have been back to the hotel but I do hope in the not too distant future we can welcome you back to our hotel.

Kind regards Charles Otter/ General Manager
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Awful. My friend & travelling companion who is Russian, tried to make light of how terrible it was by saying our trip wouldn’t have been complete without such an authentic communist era experience.

Some background - we were in Moscow, but decided to do a last minute trip to St Petersburg for the “white nights” phenomena (pretty magical). Almost all other hotels & apartment rentals in our price range were fully booked. So we stayed here.

This hotel is stiflingly hot. I have never before complained about being hot - I can sleep in a tropical environment without AC. This building locks in the heat & has no air flow. There is an AC, but it blows hot air. Windows partially open. I was advised that buildings there are designed to lock in the heat since the winters can get so cold. All hotel guests were miserable. I was waking up at 5 am for cold showers every 30 min just to cool down. Literally. Other than that, the rooms were ok for a budget hotel. They were pretty clean, though the hallways were not - even the water cooler was coated in dirt (as in dropped in mud & never cleaned off).

Check-in is a cruel joke & takes hours (approx. 2 hours AFTER the check-in time) & hotel management doesn’t care. There was only 1 person qualified to check people in, 1 trainee & 1 whose sole job it was to refill the fridge with water bottles, but not hand them out. If you expect any sort of service, do not stay here. Checkout wasn't as painful, but not smooth.

Location is pretty far from the center of things, about a 30 min walk. I would advise against the location.

If you like being treated as prisoner with guards instead of staff, this is your place. The only positives are that this place is cheap, room is decent & includes buffet breakfast (but think powder eggs). You get what you pay for. If you have other options, choose them.

I will admit this place may not be so terrible if it was a different time of the year (cooler, less crowded), but I personally wouldn’t risk it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank roberta_nyc
Charles O, General Manager at Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Adviser about your stay last June during the very hot summer. I started (as General Manager) at the hotel in June and I certainly understood your comments and you were correct the rooms would have been very hot, air conditioning did not exist then. However, I am pleased to inform you that we have just completed the installation of air conditioning in our 322 newly renovated SMART rooms (which I believe you stayed in) here in the hotel and this problem will not exist in in 2014. Also we are installing new air conditioning and ventilation systems in all the public areas of the hotel (Level 1 and 2) and this will make a huge difference plus the newly designed Front Desk/ Reception will be revolutionary - all ready on 1st May 2014.

Your experience at check-in was unacceptable (and for any guest always makes a poor expression on anyone's stay) but I am pleased to write that we have been very focused on improving our service at the Front Desk. I am very pleased the changes as I have been working hard with my management team and staff to create a very positive experience for our guests where guests know we do care. On a positive note I am glad to read that you enjoyed breakfast and we have been working on constantly developing our breakfast concept as this is so important for all guests. There is many other changes in regards to reconstruction, modernization and service.

I can only apologize and assure that the hotel is changing and we are well on the way to ensuring that the hotel is positioned as an international mid market hotel supported by a strong management team under my direction. Naturally, I would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us if indeed you were returning to St Petersburg again. I can always be contacted via email. cotter@azimuthotels.com

Kind regards Charles Otter - General Manager

Travellers are raving about these St. Petersburg hotels

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We arrived almost around midnight and was so ready to crash, luckily the check-in went by very quickly (and so did the check-out). Our room was teeny tiny, but stylish and very clean nonetheless! We had a twin room and the beds and pillows were very comfy and seems rather new (especially compared to our hotel in Moscow). The bathroom only has a shower (no tub), both hot and cold water ran well. If possible, I'd avoid the breakfast as the food was just so-so and on our last day there (a Saturday) we had to wait for almost an hour just to get a table.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Adviser and I was pleased to read that your stay was enjoyable, you stayed in one of our 322 newly renovated SMART rooms. Your comment about breakfast was indeed correct and was well noted. Since your stay in October, we have greatly improved the selection of items on the breakfast buffet, I knew this was a problem and we have been working on it.

Kind regards Charles Otter - General Manager
Istanbul, Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

it is situated very far to nevsky prospect. room is bad. with this money you can choose better hotels close to center. breakfast is good. there is no metro to the hotel area. closest station is 20-30 minutes walk.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank mehmet ali t
Holstebro, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I didn't expect much after having read several of the reviews on TripAdvisor, but Azimut Hotel surprised me in a positive way.
Yes, I have been to more luxurious hotels in my life, but they were situated in other parts of the world, where conditions are different.
For a russian hotel Azimut ain't all that bad.
My room (on the 5th floor) was spacious (I admit that my travelmates had smaller rooms) and very clean. However, like in all russian hotels, I have been to; it was very warm, and the only way to regulate the heat is by opening the window (much traffic outside) or leave the aircon on - which didn't work all that well, but well enough to cause me a cold.
Bed and pillow was very good. Nice bathroom, not big, but modern.
Staff was friendly, check-in was fairly fast. So was check-out.
Bad Things:
1. The pièce de résistance, the rooftop bar, was closed due to renovation. I had been looking forward to that view!
2. The breakfast buffet is a regular nightmare in the weekend! Not that the food is that bad (just mediocre), but there are SO many weekendguest, and unless you turn up the minute the buffet opens (07.30), you'll be in line for 30-45 minutes just to get in. The you'll stand in line for the cold buffet, then the hot buffet, then the coffee, then juice......my God!)
3. Azimut is far from the center,. We walked home one day, and I'll only recommend that to good Walkers. I guess there is about 4 kilometers or even more. There is a metrostation about 1 kilometer away from the hotel (metro is easy to use) and there are busses, which I never really tried.

Room Tip: My room was facing traffic and big buildnings, where as the rooms on the other side had a great view...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mettegrith
Charles O, General Manager at Azimut Hotel Saint Petersburg, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I know you wrote on Trip Advisor and reviewed our hotel last year but I thought it prudent to write and introduce myself as Charles Otter – General Manager and started over a year ago her at the hotel. It was great to read that we exceeded your expectations for your the first time you stayed at the hotel. I would like to let you know that the hotel has considerably evolved since your list visit complete renovation of all public areas. The room you stayed in one was one our new SMART rooms and now they are complete with a new ventilation and air conditioning system bring a greater level of comfort that was not there last year for all our guests.

We opened our Sky Bar (Level 18), in December and with its floor to ceiling widows , offers some of the best views of St Petersburg. The eclectic menu and range of cocktails keeps our guests happy. Breakfast has become much more streamlined with a complete new restaurant design and more capacity which has helped us reduce the congestion.

Should you travels venture you back to St Petersburg, I would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel, feel free to contact me directly on cotter@azimuthotels.com

Kind regards Charles Otter – General Manager