“You wont find better than this!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Assembly Pension

Assembly Pension
Ranked #7 of 849 St. Petersburg B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“You wont find better than this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Recently stayed 3 nights at Natalia's B & B. A great location for a great price!
Natalia provides a homely experience in the heart of St Petersburg offering
superb advice and guidance, fantastic breakfasts, as well as the opportunity
to get to know guests from other countries around the breakfast table each
morning. I stayed in a very good sized twin room with the bathroom across
the corridor which suited me, however there are other room options with
ensuite bathroom. Don't be put off by the entrance, many entrances in
Russia are a little like this. Once you are through her front door, its a whole
new world. It's easy to get to from the airport, once you work out the local
bus system! All the sights are within a 10-20 mins walk in this beautiful city .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank natlus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Warminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We had very good impressions of St Petersburg and indeed of our first visit to Russia. It could not have gone more smoothly for us oldies.
The accommodation was as we expected and lived up to my romantic notion of how it would be albeit with mod cons.
Warm and comfortable with wonderful breakfasts that we shall remember for many years to come.
The experience of meeting other guests and having interesting conversation over a leisurely breakfast helped to make our stay even more enjoyable.
Countless suggestions of where we might go or visit with an eye on the budget, no doubt saved us time and effort and I can’t think where we would get that kind of personal service elsewhere. It felt like staying with a friend and free to come and go as we please.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Carol A
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

It was such a treat staying with Natalie. The location is great and she is an amazing host. She has terrific advice about what to see and do and we learned a lot about Russian society and culture through some fascinating conversations. The breakfasts are delicious and ample, lasting us well into the afternoon before we needed to refuel. When my wallet got stolen, she went above and beyond, accompanying us to the Police Department to file a report. Also, her place is immaculate, sparkling clean. By all means, stay at the B&B Assembly when you are in St. Petersburg. You won't regret it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katylindblad
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The best thing about staying here is Natalia, the owner and fine host. She gets her guests oriented to all the things she loves about Saint Petersburg and lets you know the best places. She makes it easy to get around on public transport with her specific instructions. The place is immaculate and the breakfasts large, excellent, and very authentically Russian.
she also encourages guests to get to know each other. The location is very good, in an interesting area. We have an excellent time here.

Room Tip: Some rooms have an ensuite bathroom, others not.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AnneLouise01
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

My husband and I loved this place -- very comfy and Natalia was so helpful every step of the way -- from planning our big trip to her suggestions about sights and restaurants once we got there. Plus, she was funny and thoughtful! We were a little concerned about the lack of air conditioning at the height of summer because we like to sleep in a cold room. But the nights cool off really well and there's a big fan in the room, so we were very comfortable. Breakfast was yummy and she was happy to accommodate my need for gluten-free food. The neighborhood was great -- walking distance to the main sights but there weren't many tourists in the area, which we liked. Don't be put off by the entryway. That's just the Russian style and the B & B itself is immaculate and comfortable.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Celia D
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

My contact with Natalia began months before our arrival when I wrote to enquire about some intricacies of Russian visas, and transportation to and from the airport. Her response was prompt, cordial and efficient. As an anxious person, I got immediate assurance that we would be well-taken care of upon arrival, and I was not mistaken. Natalia sent a car to transport us from the airport, greeted us outside the apartment to help us to our quarters, prepared tea and cookies for us and sat with us that late afternoon, chatting, getting to know us and helping us with immediate plans for that evening and the next day. She suggested restaurants and booked them for us, provided us with maps, shared her favorite destinations inside and outside of the city, always carefully listening to coordinate with our interests. Had I not already made a number of visits to St. Petersburg (and spoke Russian) Natalia's help would have been even more invaluable. We stayed for 6 nights, and during that time other folks overlapped with our stay. Natalia made sure that a group atmosphere prevailed at breakfast -- a breakfast that was hearty and varied. When I return in January I will beg Natalia to prepare her blini with smoked salmon and sour cream as that was the highlight of the breakfasts. The highlight of the stay was Natalia herself who took a genuine interest in each of us, and in sharing her knowledge of Russian culture and society. A few reviewers commented that they were uncomfortable with the neighborhood. Personally, I loved the neighborhood. I felt safe at all times, and I appreciated that while we were walking distances to many tourist attractions, we were also staying outside the usual tourist hubbub. That meant real laundromats, and stores where food and clothing were reasonably prices, and where you could see where real Russians shopped and worked and lived. I loved the layout of Natalia's apartment, and although my husband and I had an ensuite bathroom, our adult children felt perfectly comfortable with a shared bathroom. The atmosphere was informal enough, that we felt free to come to breakfast in our sweats. The only "formality" -- if that is the right term -- is that Natalia observes the Russian tradition of no outsides shoes inside the living area -- slippers only. Natalia, therefore, thoughtfully designed her B&B with a huge "mudroom area, where we could leave shoes, coats and umbrellas. She also provided styrofoam slippers in case you forgot to bring your own, as I inexplicably had done. Styrofoam slippers don't hold up well, but I was perfectly comfortable walking around in my socks. In the winter, I would recommend that you bring your own slippers for greater warmth. The B&B is very quiet inside, but there can be quite a bit of street noise. Fortunately, although we stayed in August, the temperature at night was in the 50s so we were comfortably able to close the windows at night. With a fan that Natalia provided and with earplugs (that I always travel with), I was unbothered by the street noise. It might be a bit more difficult had the weather been warmer that week. My only suggestion for improving the B&B is that Natalia provide larger and softer bath towels. Otherwise, do not change a thing! We loved that B&B with its old-world charm and most of all we are so grateful to Natalia. She is a gem.

Room Tip: I prefer the one room with the ensuite bathroom, but the other two rooms were delightful as well.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kalindanya
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

My sister and I stayed here for three nights and it was fantastic. Natalia was very helpful before arriving in Russia with our visa preparation as well as during our stay with her. She is very knowledgeable about the city and had some great recommendations about what to do and see during our stay. We had a shared bathroom, but it wasn't an issue since our room was next to the room with the ensuite. The apartment is centrally located and we were able to walk to everything we wanted to see and do. Breakfasts were delicious, and and full of good company with Natalia and the other guests. Would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others traveling to St. Petersburg.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends