“Small but cozy”

Ranked #12 of 188 Speciality Lodging in Irkutsk
Brisbane, Australia
“Small but cozy”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I travelled solo and stayed in the twin room. I also arranged a pickup from the international airport and this was done efficiently. The sheets and decor are pretty colourful and the place has a cheerful feel although getting out with the tap key was fun at the downstairs front door (push hard!).

The place is a little crowded but if you are busy exploring and not staying in, this should be no problem. The wi-fi was a little difficult to connect on the far side of the twin room but sit near the door and you are fine.

The one thing (not their fault) that constantly drove me crazy was ignorant travelers flushing toilet paper down the toilet even though there are clear signs to not do this. If you accidentally drop paper in by instinct, be responsible and fish it out with the toilet brush! But unfortunately this was always left to me and on the second day of my stay, surprise, the toilet blocked.

All the managers are helpful and when I needed to call a taxi at 11:30pm the manager was quite happy and assured me she would still be up even though the sign says business should be concluded by 11pm every night. You are also welcome to use the communal tea and coffee in the kitchen.

Being so small though and a stop on the Trans Siberian, some of the other travellers I encountered seemed to be a bit stressed either by the lack of space, the long wait for laundry to dry or being forced to check out of their room on time and sitting in the lounge complaining there is nothing to do until their pick up (beautiful park or river just down the road from hostel, sounvenir shop underground behind the Lenin Statue and the painting sellers or have a cup of coffee at Double Coffee across the road!).

Staff were helpful and Olga-Maria with whom I corresponded via email always gave me prompt replies. Will definitely return here should I ever go through Irkutsk again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Beachednarwhal

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Thai first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed in that hostel with 4 children. Everything's worked perfectly. Jack is a great host and the managers are always happy to help. Being able to do some washing of clothes is a plus. The location on Lenin street above the Lenin cafe is also great to visit town.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank verjam
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We have really mixed feelings about this hostel. We booked a dorm and our train arrived in the middle of the night. Unfortunately they do not open the door at that time! Therefore we had to drive through Irkutsk at 3:00 a.m. until we found a hostel that did open at that time. (we found admiraler). The next day we came back and had a very warm welcome. To sum up some pro's and con's:

+ very friendly and helpful staff
+ great bookings available for olkhon and listvyanka. They arrange everything very well and are flexible.
+ great location in town, very central
+ nice kitchen

- hot, hot, hot! No aircon as promised. During our night we didnt sleep for one minute (literally) because of the heat and noisy street. We were up with 2 other guests who had the same problem.
- shower was kind of dirty with water and hair flowing in it.
- dont open doors in the middle of the night...

Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and it served our needs. It is a small place but we found the kitchen and bathroom facilities to be clean and we never had to wait around.

We had the twin room which was hot and there was some traffic noise too. There is also a gap in the door so we felt it lacked privacy if other guests had been nosey! It was safe and secure though.

We did the one day trip through the hostel which was great for us as we were short on time but I do think it is overpriced and if I visit this part of the world again I would probably make my own way to Lake Baikal.

Location was good too and the directions they have on their website were perfect to follow as we walked from the train station. We walked at 3am and felt quite safe doing so.

All in all it was a good experience.

Stayed July 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Absolutely horrible experience. I could write a book about the lack of kept promises and professionalism of this hostel and its staff. Firstly, the hostel itself is untidy, the rooms filthy and very badly furnished, not air-conditioned like promised, twin room did not have 2 beds, internet did not work for the most of time, its is very noicy hostel and therefore impossible to sleep, and neither the electricity plugs worked in the room. There is only 1 toilet and 1 shower in the whole hostel, and they were absolutely gross. Shower drain did not work and the bathroom flooded in water and people's hair etc. Obviously the Lonely Planet review has brought the place so much customers that they not need to serve their guests anymore.

The hostel lady also charged us 200 R for washing clothes, but in the end all our clothes were still dirty, since they do not use washing powder.

Also the tour that their organized for us to Olkhon island was a catastrophe. The minibus picked us up at 9 am (20 mins late from the schedule already in the beginning) and did not get out of town for an hour and half because the driver just stopped for a cigarette for every 5 minutes without even picking other people up from other hostels. And after "traveling" 1,5 hrs, we actually drove back to our hostel and picked up more people from there. It was complete waste of whole morning, and because of this kind of lack of cababilities to organize logistics and tours well, we lost almost whole day of our holiday at Baikal lake.

In addition, we asked if we could leave Olkhon island in the late afternoon or evening. Baikaler staff told us that it is not possible, because the latest bus leaves at 12:30 back to Irkutsk. Therefore we brought tickets to that bus. Our driver came to pick us up at 10, so again Baikaler hostel had arranged everything wrong. And last but not least, there was a bus from Olkhon to Irkutsk at 17 o'clock, so in the end it was clear that Baikaler hostel and its staff just knew nothing and neither were able to do basically anything correctly.

We stayed in several different hostels during our Trans-Siberian tour (6 stops in Russia) and this was the only negative hostel experience we had during the whole trip. I really wish that the Baikaler hostel either renovates the whole hostel and boosts their service quality in every way, or lowers its prices dramatically in the very near future, since currently it is not worth of the money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JennaH_Helsinki
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed at the Baikaler for a few nights while travelling around lake Baikal and on the transsiberian and I got a lot of help from the owners for every request I had. Very nice people! The hostel is very clean and well situated.

• Stayed June 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is a relatively small hostel in central Irkutsk. I found the hostel to be really social as the group areas are quite small, so lots of conversation with all your fellow travellers. Shared stories of trips out to Baikal or the Trans-Siberian.
They also organise some great trips - I did the Circumbaikal Walk - which was a great day walk, beautiful scenery, I was lucky enough to see ice on the lake in late April - which was soo beautiful.
I also stayed out at the Eco-Hostel in Lystvyanka.

Room Tip: This is a small popular hostel - book in advance. I saw a few people turned away when they were full...